Home General Discussion

Are standing desks better?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ebagg polycounter lvl 17
Lately I've realized my posture is complete shit, several coworkers recently made the switch standing desks (or adjustable height desks) and swear up and down that they will never go back to sitting at desks. There's also this recent article I saw;

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/05/become-a-stand-up-guy-the-history-benefits-and-use-of-standing-desks/

Have you checked out standing desks? What's you're opinion on them? Comments? Naysayers?

Replies

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    When I visited Valve I saw a few people working like this. Hadn't seen or heard of it much before that. It looks interesting though. If any of those positives such as being more productive and being able to fall asleep easier are true then I think I may try it out.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    A few artists at Bungie used them, they seemed to love them. They wouldnt generally stand for more then an hour or two but liked them for the fact that they could change the way they worked to not put so much strain on there back.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer them when doing art stuff, mainly because I'm so used to standing back in my painting/drawing days.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I don't own one, don't have the finances to be swapping furniture right now and wouldn't have the space for it either.

But boy do I crave one. This is something that's been on my mind for a long time now, when I'm able my primary workstation will be a standing desk/table. It's not for my back, though my posture is atrocious, it's for my brain.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been looking into getting one, as my back is really screwed up from sitting down all the time. The instructors at my school lecture from standing desks, and I really like using them whenever I give demos or something.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I'm still young and had back pain few years ago, it comes back from time to time but less often now; I guess it came from sitting all day. And since I do sport regularly (3-4 times a week at best) it's gone.

Now, about standing desks I must say I'm intrigued and wouldn't mind trying one at work.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Definitely get an adjustable I'd say, because I guarantee you're not going to want to stand for 8+hrs at the PC. Sometimes you'll just want to relax and recline a bit, but it's definitely nice to stand up and work once in a while.

It's a shame that the great ortho chairs cost so damn much. Sitting straight-back is NOT good for you, regardless of what people might blab on about. The ideal angle for sitting at a work desk is 135º - herman millers support that perfectly but like I said, they're $$$ :'(
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    Drawing standing up is awesome. I always have more energy and a looser more expressive approach. The moment I sit down I get sleepy and stiff armed. I havent worked at a pc standing, but Im sure Id feel more awake. Standing doesnt bother me too much, working long shifts as a cook has conditioned me well. Trying to figure out how to prop my desk up higher now...
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    You actually don't have to buy a specialized desk to work standing up. You can use shelving systems combines with drawer slides to create a modular system that you can adjust to a comfortable working height. I'm planning on doing this for my own workspace soon since I spend way too many hours sitting on my ass, which I'm sure is contributing to my poor fitness.

For example:

http://www.desktopped.com/featured/2010/05/sleek-wall-mounted-workstation-with-custom-built-desk/

http://www.desktopped.com/featured/2009/11/imac-custom-computer-desk/

http://www.desktopped.com/featured/2011/02/unique-custom-built-imac-desk-and-workspace/

This way, you can customize the desk to your needs without paying through the nose for a highly specialized and expensive desk.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, standing up from time to time is great. I do it occasionally thanks to the Ergotron arm with the Cintiq - its cool but wobbly for sure. However you do need to sit back down after a few hours - if not your back will lock itself in a weird position and that's not good.

Im sure that lying down on a sofa from time to time would be a good thing too (to answer emails on a laptop, or sketch) since variety is what the body needs ...

Stools can be nice to have too.

P
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting. My back hurts all the damn time because I'm always sitting on my ass on the computer. I got a nerve that keeps getting pinched then half my back turns numb. One of these...or a rolly ball chair, would probably be nice.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I do that alot. They're good, but not great if you have a hernia.
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ive been using one at work for almost a year now i think. definitely worth it. i feel like i have more energy when im standing up so i can power through tasks. but the best part is just changing your position every hour or so. its like when you flip the pillow to the cold side at night.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    00Zero wrote: »
    ive been using one at work for almost a year now i think. definitely worth it. i feel like i have more energy when im standing up so i can power through tasks. but the best part is just changing your position every hour or so. its like when you flip the pillow to the cold side at night.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07MaDV8a64U[/ame]
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I want three desks. A sitting computer desk. A sitting drawing/light table with an angled surface. And a standing desk. I DESIRE THEM ALL.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    aesir wrote: »
    I want three desks. A sitting computer desk. A sitting drawing/light table with an angled surface. And a standing desk. I DESIRE THEM ALL.

+1

To add to this lineup, a variant on Pior's sofa comment, sometimes I would love nothing more than to be arting whilst looking like im jacked into the Nebuchadnezzar.

JackingIn.jpg

Monitor up high and angled perfectly toward me as im arting - though it wont work with a cintique.....add a pressurised room and i could probably get deep vein thrombosis. Rad.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Dude. I like the look of that! Was it comfortable ??? I wonder if you could angle that seat back, back more and then tilt that cintique so it was looking down at you?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    Hazardous wrote: »
    +1

To add to this lineup, a variant on Pior's sofa comment, sometimes I would love nothing more than to be arting whilst looking like im jacked into the Nebuchadnezzar.

JackingIn.jpg

Monitor up high and angled perfectly toward me as im arting - though it wont work with a cintique.....add a pressurised room and i could probably get deep vein thrombosis. Rad.

I got upgraded once on a flight from hong kong to London and was in this position, watching movies for about 8 hours of the flight its fuckin awesome
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Old topic, but still very important when considering our health when working for 8 hours per day (I'm used to work even more on my personal stuff during weekends, EVEN after work, lol)). I've been sitting in front of a PC like 3-5 years quite actively. Especially last three years.

Now I'm starting to worry about having blood clots appearing on my left shin after excessive sitting. Not having anything serious nor there is any proper symptoms indicating it, but I'll be definitely switching to a standing desk as a complete lifestyle change if I can half my day to 50/50 -> standing at work/sitting at home, ASAP. The good thing is that I have an opportunity to have a standing dest at my work during my internship. Starting from tomorrow morning. Can't wait see how it feels like. (;

EDIT: The Global Game Jam weekend wasn't doing any good for me. At there I started to feel pain on my left leg. Just because I was working with my team so intensively through the whole weekend with a minimal amount of sleep or proper breaks. After that I became very sceptic about my future in the game industry.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    no posture is good posture. So while yes, standing desks are great, it's actually best if you use it for half the day and sit for half the day. Any position for too long is bad. So if you get one, get one that has a motor and can go up and down.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Old topic, but still very important when considering our health when working for 8 hours per day (I'm used to work even more on my personal stuff during weekends, EVEN after work, lol)). I've been sitting in front of a PC like 3-5 years quite actively. Especially last three years.

Now I'm starting to worry about having blood clots appearing on my left shin after excessive sitting. Not having anything serious nor there is any proper symptoms indicating it, but I'll be definitely switching to a standing desk as a complete lifestyle change if I can half my day to 50/50 -> standing at work/sitting at home, ASAP. The good thing is that I have an opportunity to have a standing dest at my work during my internship. Starting from tomorrow morning. Can't wait see how it feels like. (;

EDIT: The Global Game Jam weekend wasn't doing any good for me. At there I started to feel pain on my left leg. Just because I was working with my team so intensively through the whole weekend with a minimal amount of sleep or proper breaks. After that I became very sceptic about my future in the game industry.
    Wow that sucks the blood clots, I am amazed really I haven't ever had that happen with the hours I spend at my desk day in day out.

On the subject of standing desks I do have a 2nd desk which I got for standing I have worked on before but never could get used to standing and working for very long but for general health with reasonable productivity I took off the handlebars off a workout stationary bike of mine and mounted a plank of wood where the handlebars are, and will occasionally pedal while I work which seems to go well enough together.

I dunno if personal experience accounts for much but some of the worst trouble I have had with my back was with jobs that involved standing all day.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    sorry could n't resist

• HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I think the standing desk bubble is beginning to burst. More and more info like this is coming out. A healthy balance of both is probably ideal, but most people don't have that luxury. A lot of people I work with switched to standing and got tall stools to use some of the time. Unfortunately, your posture in a stool is even worse though. I think a regular desk and chair is perfectly fine as long as you're taking breaks throughout the day and also exercising regularly.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Lol, Ruz.

But seriously, now I'm at work and having a standing desk. Feels good so far. I even have a mattress that conforms the bottom of my feet (expensive one, specifically designed for this purpose).
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    A lot of people I work with switched to standing and got tall stools to use some of the time. Unfortunately, your posture in a stool is even worse though.
    i'm a desk-type myself and don't really see the appeal of standing for long periods of time but you can get stools like http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/stools/aeron-stool.html . looks like it would barely be any different from their (comfy) chair.

• Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10

"Our study overturns current thinking on the health risks of sitting and indicates that the problem lies in the absence of movement rather than the time spent sitting itself. Any stationary posture where energy expenditure is low may be detrimental to health, be it sitting or standing."

"“The results cast doubt on the benefits of sit-stand work stations, which employers are increasingly providing to promote healthy working environments.”

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/featurednews/title_476860_en.html
    As for posture, I'm sure investing into a decent chair will suffice although I can imagine maintaining it standing is a bit easier. Still think standing desks are overrated especially if you are thinking about avoiding blood clotting. Get a treadmill instead!

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Well since this thread has been resurrected..

Going to the gym, stretching, and focusing on core exercises have had the best results in terms of comfort and posture even while sitting for 12+ hours a day.  
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19

It sounds like the standing desk does the trick so far for you, but unless the mat is designed to keep you moving it might worsen your problems. 
    In my opinion movement is the key to deal with  minor problems with venous reflux (and not cutting of the bloodflow by either the edge of the chair or bending your knees too much.)  I bought a plastic air cushion that's originally meant to sit on  and put it under my feet when sitting. Keeps me moving my feet most of the time without having to think about it. 
    I had also bought some light compression stockings (rock'n' roooooll!!) for when my legs got heavy and I needed to continue to work  but haven't used them in quite some time, now. 
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    You can have terrible posture standing up, just like you can sitting down.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I cant imagine working at work without an adjustable desk now that im used to having one. I use it standing as much as i can, and only when i get tired of standing, i sit down. I also had a saddle chair but i didnt get used to that. 
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Used one for two years, total waste of time.

If your goal is to do what humans are supposed to do naturally, mix actual cardio into your daily routine.
    • Get off a few stops early and walk the rest of the way.  (As far as you feasibly have time for.)
    • Always walk someplace to buy/eat lunch.
    • Spread your errands across multiple trips throughout the week.
    • Take the long route to get coffee in the break room.
    • Use the stairs.
    • Clean your living space twice a week.
    • Yard work.
    • Don't use remotes.
    Basically do away modern conveniences that allow you to be sedentary.  The great thing about this approach is that you don't even need to set aside time for a workout.  Studies of "Blue zones" suggest this is far more healthy than lumping your entire workout into a single unit of time.  Your ancestors moved around a lot out of necessity.  They wouldn't have stood anywhere for long because it's a waste of calories.

Diet is a huge factor as well.  (Eat less sugar.)

Also, the supposed benefits of standing are very short term.
    • Better work ethic > After a couple of hours, your mind will be on sitting down, not your work.  It's like multitasking for nothing.  Studies have shown your IQ drops ten points when you have to multitask.  (Smoking pot only drops it 8 points.)
    • Better posture > not after a full workday.
    • Burns calories > not even remotely as well as cardio and doesn't improve mobility or prevent chronic joint diseases, which moving around does.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    I bought one of these for home http://www.ergodepot.com/Jarvis_Desk_Laminate_p/jrv-lam.htm

Its great cause you can program in 4 different heights .When you want to stand you hit the preset and it raises to the correct height. Its a little pricey but I love it. The other thing is its  heavy with the base weighing 65 pounds and the top also weighing 65 pounds. When up in the standing position I dont get any wobble though.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Also, the supposed benefits of standing are very short term.
    • Better work ethic > After a couple of hours, your mind will be on sitting down, not your work.  It's like multitasking for nothing.  Studies have shown your IQ drops ten points when you have to multitask.  (Smoking pot only drops it 8 points.)
    • Better posture > not after a full workday.
    • Burns calories > not even remotely as well as cardio and doesn't improve mobility or prevent chronic joint diseases, which moving around does.

The first two are remedied with an embarrasingly easy solution:
    Sit down after a while.

And I can attest that not sitting all day *does* improve mobility and joint pains. Not 'chronic joint diseases', for --again-- pretty self-explanatory reasons.

None of the other things you mention matter. You can still use the stairs or mind your sugar-intake with a standing desk.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    I've used a home-built standing desk for two years and have been doing all my computer work at it. I'm an indie dev and use that setup several hours per day. I combine that with using a graphics tablet instead of a mouse, which seems to give me fewer arm/shoulder/hand problems.

The reason to get it was that I suffered from pains in the lower back which increased after long periods of heavy PC use.

The good: Back pain is largely a thing of the past. I don't usually have to worry about it anymore. I'm pretty sure I owe that to the standing desk.

The bad: Occasional pains in feet, legs and hips (they do go away again, though.) I also started to have chronic anemia a while after I began working standing up, not sure how much that has to do with working posture though. I do believe that standing up for hours is very taxing for the body. I do have a high stool that I can sit on whenever I get tired. The first two months were a hell of pain in the feet and legs, the body apparently adjusted after that.

I do think standing desks have merit, but you know, standing still for hours isn't exactly normal either. Moving around doing mostly light bodily work (house, yard etc) with periods of sitting or standing in between is probably the natural state of humans. A standing desk alone isn't gonna get us there.

Judging from a youtube video about him I saw, Linus Torvalds has a treadmill as well as a standing desk. That might be a better solution. That, and an alternative sit-down workplace (though not everyone can afford two dev PCs) and a reasonable work schedule with enough pauses.

Plus most of what equanim said, except I don't think standing desks are a waste of time. They have their place in the grander scheme of things.

I'm now doing things like drawing, writing etc sitting down, away from the PC. I also got a tablet computer but that brought its own problems, such as stiff arms, neck and shoulders and a tendency to overuse the damn thing.

The ideal industry workplace hasn't been created yet. And I believe we're only beginning to see the long term negative health effects of heavy PC or workstation use. In game dev, unfortunately, it seems like that's an occupational hazard.

Working overtime or going workaholic on a PC workplace likely increases that hazard.

BTW I've heard from my father that standing desks were provided for people with back problems in the office environment in Germany already in the 1970s / 1980s. Perhaps an interesting tidbit of info. Standing desk as a remedy for back problems mostly confirmed, I think. Just watch out for possible new problems.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    I started using a standing desk after switching out of a job where I was moving and lifting a lot for eight hours a day after five years.  I'm pretty healthy, was in great shape then and was afraid of losing it.  Again, I used a standing desk for two years.  I think the key is having a sitting contingency.  Most of the blog posts that praise standing desks mention famous people who used them, but gloss over the part where they only actually stood at their desks for a few hours a day at most.

Stranding desks have gotten trendy recently because a study suggested sitting all day vastly increases the likelihood of cardiovascular disease later in life.  The problem is that standing all day will fatigue you without actually raising your heart rate to the point where it signals your cardiovascular system to get stronger.  Sure, you're standing, but you're still sedentary.  Metabolically speaking, it's like leaving your headlights on.  You're also switching one set of side effects for another, both of which negatively affect your back in the long run.  Since you'll develop a want to sit much sooner than a want to stand. your brain is essentially multitasking and affects your work, like it or not.  (Try pulling a crunch with a standing desk, it's not fun.)

Rather than favoring standing or sitting, incorporating movement into my day has worked best for me.  I walk .4 miles to the train, 1.2 miles to work, .3 miles for lunch, and another .4 to the store every day.  Both ways, that adds up to 4.6 miles a day not including trips around the office or a coffee run.  Statistically, I walk two to three times that of an average American just by getting my chores done which makes me feel far better than when I used a standing desk.  Ironically, this is exactly what physical therapists have been suggesting the whole time.

Speaking of irony, @Mightypea, you spelled "embarrassingly" wrong.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still mention 'standing all day', and that's simply not what you do. Multitasking?! If my legs get tired, I sit! After I take a break (lunch, for instance), I come back and move my desk back up if I feel like it.

The good thing is: It's no less a sitting desk when you're sitting at it.

Snark aside, I simply don't see what you've got against standing desks.
    I can agree with you that the supposed health benefits of standing are massively oversold, and I see your point that it can deter some from extra physical exercise - just sure make you don't over-adjust for the trend-factor by becoming blindly hateful of something that's popular.

I love mine, and I don't assume that standing for a few hours a day replaces cardio. I like it because it keeps me more focused, it helps with my knees, shoulders and neck (I end up moving a lot more when standing, whether to music, or just fidgeting), and you just feel like you're in the future when you press a button and your desk whirrs and moves up.

ps.: Mistake noted. Irony? you attribute a lot to a single missing letter!