Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping Multiples of the Same Object

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
I've looked around, read, and watched a lot of tutorials abotu UVW Unwrapping a little question I have still isn't quite clear. I have modeled a square for example, and instanced it 2 times to have a total of 3, then grouped them together. Because they are instanced, if I unwrap only one, and texture only one, will the rest automatically be textured, or how would I go about saving UV space by only texturing one?

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Yes, in theory, instancing an object and then UV mapping it might work, but why not just model and UV it, then simply make a few copies? A copy of a UV mapped object in any 3D program I know of will retain UVs and materials.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    In 3ds max, instances share the same uv's but not necesseraly the same material. So, yes, unwrap only one of the instances (anyway, if you select the all 3 and apply an unwrap, i think you break the instanciation), but you can apply a different material/texture.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Noors wrote: »
    In 3ds max, instances share the same uv's but not necesseraly the same material. So, yes, unwrap only one of the instances (anyway, if you select the all 3 and apply an unwrap, i think you break the instanciation), but you can apply a different material/texture.

It only breaks the instanciation if you collapse the stack. You can apply a modifier to an instance and it'll propagate to the other copies.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I was talking about applying a modifier on several selected instances at the same time.
    It creates a reference, which means everything above it will not be shared between instances. Anyway, applying a modifier on several instances at the same time is a nonsense (unless you want to use a reference)
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    So your saying that because its instanced, everything I do in the UV editor will apply to all of the instances. and if I baked my textures, painted them, and brought them back into max or w/e program to see the results, it'll apply the same painted texture to all the instanced cubes?

Also, for a low poly mesh, I don't need any screws or small bolts on it at all right? they can just be baked on from the high poly?

Thanks guys. = )
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Just complete one cube with bakes, textures etc then instance it afterwards.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Scizz wrote: »
    So your saying that because its instanced, everything I do in the UV editor will apply to all of the instances. and if I baked my textures, painted them, and brought them back into max or w/e program to see the results, it'll apply the same painted texture to all the instanced cubes?

Yes.
    Scizz wrote: »
    Also, for a low poly mesh, I don't need any screws or small bolts on it at all right? they can just be baked on from the high poly?

Yes. They can even be painted in 2d, using photoshop/ndo or crazybump. Or you generate one "bolt normal map" from a real mesh and duplicate it on your global bake in photoshop. You probably don't have to make all the bolts in 3d.