Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi Pillar(WIP)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
This is an asset I'm working on for an environment I'm current;y working on. Just started it last night and worked on it some more this afternoon.
wippillar.jpg
Right now I'm just trying to think of details to put on it to make it feel more complete, but also keeping in mind that this is going to be used a lot so I'm trying not to add to many small details.

C & C is always great!

Replies

• myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    All I'm gonna say at this point is your basic form and silhouette comes down to an extruded cube, not exactly a very interesting shape. You could add all the small details you want to this and its still going to look boring. Think larger and throw around some more interesting shapes before you think about detailing/ high poly.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah i second what myles said.
    Think about your forms more; throw shapes around, define more details. also think about how this is will add to an environment.
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    Good rule of thumb for silhoutte...place something like a black mat on the asset, no lighting or anything, just a general black mat on it and make sure the background is white...see if any of the forms look interesting enough like so...if not then like myles said, you need to get some larger shapes in there first so that it will look interesting right off the bat even without the micro details/

Then you can start adding the micro and make it shine :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like everybody else said...the shape isn't very interesting. Just take a look around for the billion scifi environments on here. There are plenty of sci-fi pillars to see. Maybe look at some concepts for inspiration.

Good luck
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks guys. Now that I look at it, it does look pretty damn boring. I tried to spice it up a bit.
    wippillar2.jpg
    I added the new siding and some bars. I'm still thinking about what else to add.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I have to go soon but this is what I got done this morning.
    wippillar3.jpg

More interesting??
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Whats the scale supposed to be on this? I feel like for a pillar it's very stubby. Also the bars may have changed the silhouette from the side, but from the front things are more or less the same. You might want to have a gander at some other artists scifi pillars ans see what solutions/shapes they used. Keep at it.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    out of context it's difficult to tell if the silhouette isn't appropriate.

what's your reference? what's in the rest of the scene?

you can have some boxes stacked together to make an interesting silhouette... but if they're all the same box it may suck ... etc. env art props/wall modules almost always need context to be judged...

granted, the shapes aren't very interesting by themselves, but the model looks like it's ok.

Some edges are softer than i would expect them to be however...

more hard edges and layers will make the sci-fi really pop :).

for instance, I personally wouldn't have the notches int he side of the thing modeled as one piece... making the inset a detached piece of metal and possibly a metal with holes/slots in it underneath the "ribs"...

that's a design thing though... so do what feels good.

not a bad model, just not very interesting by itself.

cheers