Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art Dump] Maph's pit

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Maph polycounter lvl 8
I figured I'd start an art dump thread here, I be needing some feedbackz. :)

First up, my portfolio lacks a realistic human (including textures) so I decided to finish up a sculpt of Deadwood's Al Swearengen I started ages ago. I'm nearing to finishing up the diffuse textures, so I can get started on the specs/fixing normals and general issues, and then it's onwards to posing and UDK!

So here's what I got so far, C&C would be mucho appreciated!
Head textures at 1024² and body at 2048²
Edit: Gonna redo the hair, don't like it at all!
Texturing_06182011_003.jpg
Texturing_06182011_002.jpg
Texturing_06182011_001.jpg
Texturing_06182011_004.jpg
Texturing_06182011_005.jpg

Second, I also need something badass, so here's a quicksculpt I did this week during lunchtimes, when I finish Al, I'll give this guy some proper topo, armor, etc... the works, bake a low res and bring this sucker into UDK as well. :)

Demon.jpg

Replies

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Good stuff here. Love your diffuse for the face. When you add the specular it should be awesome :)

Not too sure about the hair ..... perhaps you could add some more smaller hairs on it? Does it have normals on it ... feels very flat... but I never used alpha planes yet so I am not too sure how this could be improved.

The start of your next sculpt also looks great and I know you have been trying to change the anatomy a bit but may be the pectoralis- major has gone way too much down where it goes to the hand part. Try raising this up just a bit and see how that looks - it will be still different, but it might feel more natural.

Show us more now :) and good luck.
  • g2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Al is looking great!,you're right about his hair though,looking forward for his spec and normals,demon guy is a bit generic IMO,some more work on his anatomy that pectoral to biceps connection looks bit weird,i love how you made his horns though :)
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Ye was gonna say the same thing, looks like he'd have trouble lifting his arms up. Deadwood mans coming on sweet, I just want to see a proper lit version now :D (I really need to get around to watching that show)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there Maphster! Fantastic texture job you've got on that guy. My only nitpick is that he really lack middle scale details for me. Some different patches of stronger color, some stronger silhouette breaks and stuff like that. Also some hairplanes would work wonders here.

The sculpt is really badass.

Keep it coming, man!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    A bit late, but you know. :)

Cheers guys! I'll fix the demon when I've got some more time, shit's heaping up around here and Sweagen needs to be finished first. :)
    Luckily, I'm getting there! Gonna make a quick bottle texture before I head to the sack and finish up the pedestal and environment tomorrow.

d1ver: I'll see what I can do for the colors! Like maybe some patches? Although not so sure that would fit his character. :D But we'll see. ;)

Anyway, here be some screens. All very much WIP mind you. :)

Al_UDK_001.jpg
    Al_UDK_003.jpg
    Al_UDK_002.jpg

And some highres lame-ness I got to re-render because I noticed some of the meshes are intersecting... *sigh*
    SweagenHighRes01.jpg
    SweagenHighRes03.jpg
    SweagenHighRes02.jpg
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I think the front of Al's face is all a little small and pinched in looking. I realize that its a little late to be giving that kind of feedback but maybe you could just move some verts around a little without totally breaking things. Maybe someone else who is better with anatomy could do a paint over?
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Loving the hair, especialy around the ears:poly142:. The shoulder clothing seams on the shirt are coming off as UV seams on the low poly. I'd like to see some more detail in the hand texture too.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    damn! i really wanna see more of that monster model you have going there. I'm doing a similar character, are you using any reference for him?
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Stuff looks retarded Maph! so... about that monster... :)
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers guys!

AlecMoody: Are you talking about the high res shots? If so, the perspective is pretty heavy on those. But I'll see what I can do on the low poly anyhow. :)

OtrickP: Yeah, still need to fix dem seams!

Illusive: Nope, no refs. Well, maybe some grassetti pics for detail ref, but nothing else.

Alberto: What about it? :D

I'll finish that monster after I finish Al, need to retopo him first. :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    How is no one commenting on those sick uv's! Did I miss something, are uv's that amazing easy to achieve now? I love the model and textures, obviously, but those uv's are freaking brilliant. I gotta know, is there a tutorial on how to get the edges so straight, but remove all stretching? I'm floored
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    UV'ing didn't get easier, I'm just anal about UV space. :p And there's still loads of mistakes in there. Some pretty tiny things have massive room on the sheet like the buttons and the belt buckle, but you know, live and learn. :)

I got minimal stretching because of Softimage's new regularize command. But I'm too tired to explain right now what that does, but I'll make you a quick rundown of the UVs when I'm done if you want.

In fact, I just finished him. Gonna do some minor comping/framing in photoshop and then I'll post some updates (sleep first!). I have to say, really happy with this guy! Here's to hoping I can land a job with this model!
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Done! Lot's of stuff learned, lot's of mistakes made, onward to the next one and improve!

Rendered in UDK.

[IMAGE HEAVY]
    Front.jpg
    FrontLSide.jpg
    Back.jpg
    FaceDetail.jpg
    TorsoDetail.jpg
    KnifeDetailsAndStuff.jpg
    PantsMidDetail.jpg
    PantsCloseUp.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    instantly recognizable and very well executed! I know you're done but I feel the lighting is a bit overblown.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    yeah make the lighting way warmer on his face its hurting this awesome piece, maph! great job dood!
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree Maph. Looks like you did a great job on the texturing, but I would tone down the lighting. Great Job.
  • MDSchee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MDSchee polycounter lvl 8
    nice, is there a deadwood game? red dead style
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Cheers guys! Agreed on the lighting! I thought it looked OK, but it was like 2am, so my mind was biased. :)
    Will fix those in the coming few days.

Now, onward with that Demon I say!

MDShee: Not that I'm aware off, but there should be. Without censoring Al. :D
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey maph!

Big fan of yours :)

I actually love the model itself. The diffuse is ace. But i think you could play with the speculars a little more and yes, the lighting. YOu should try a realtime shader like xoulis. And maybe stronger AO where the neck meets the shirt etc. And id love to see another pose. :p Youre probably sick looking at it and could always come back i guess....

Excellent work, again. ONTO THE DEMON!