Home General Discussion

Art Institute Visit

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
I just got back from Pittsburgh to attend the enrolled students program thing they had there. The school is really fuckin' sweet from what I've seen, and the staff and all the instructors seem really chill and actually cool to hang out with. I was playin CoD in the lobby with some of them. I forget what floor it was but I looked into a room, saw Zbrush open on one screen, 3ds Max open on another, and polycount open on another screen and i instantly ran in there and started talkin to people. I feel like I'm going to be in that room a lot. But from what I've heard the AIs aren't very good, but I guess it just depends on which one you go to and what your major is. I guess I'll find out when I attend in the fall. I think it's going to be great. Anyone else goin or have gone????

Replies

• oXYnary
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    I didn't go to AI, but I went to a private 'art' school. I wouldn't recommend many people go there now that I'm done. That being said it was a stepping stone to get myself into the industry, I start my first job soon.

All I have to say is this...it is up to you. You need to put in the work. If you keep it up and keep practicing and improving then its a good school. If you, like many of my classmates, think its the school job to teach you everything and hold your hand into the industry, its going to be a waste of money.

Would I do it again, knowing what I know now. In a heart beat. I learned things, made good friends, and start work soon.

Oh its pretty pricey so make sure you have the $ or are happy with a bunch of loans.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't want to be Mr. Negative but you may want to think about some other things when looking at schools.

Honestly who cares if the instructors are cool to hang out with... ask them why they are teaching and if they work at a studio on the side. Also playing cod is the library is really odd. Every school is going to have zbrush and 3ds max. Polycount is a good sign. I would find that person and talk to them.

I went through the school searching process all through high school... literally 4 years... and decided not to go to any Ai. I don't know a ton about them other than the fact that it is a gamble on how good they are.

Try and get a list of the most recent graduating class and see how many have jobs and where they are working. That is usually a good sign on whether you want to go there.

It sounds like you have already decided to go. So my suggestion is go in with a serious mind set and really get an idea for the entire major. You can always transfer but you should do that sooner rather than later.

Just try not get to blow your load after see someone playing cod or zbrush on a computer. :D
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've heard great things about AiP. probably the best one from my experience. However, I'm also going to go ahead and say if you want a job doing art for games, go to an art school, not a game school.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I've heard great things about AiP. probably the best one from my experience. However, I'm also going to go ahead and say if you want a job doing art for games, go to an art school, not a game school.

Exactly. I see it like this. My major is Visual Effects and Motion graphics, not game design. So with that degree I have a lot more options for jobs and such, and it ties into basically any career. Editing, CGI, commercials, educational videos, video games, anything. As of now I want to be an environment artist but I know my goal might change. So self teaching myself how to use programs like 3ds max and Zbrush is the easy part, the challenging part which is why I'm here is to learn other aspects of the digital art industry and apply what I learn from other students and my major to create what ever I want.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Scizz wrote: »
    Exactly. I see it like this. My major is Visual Effects and Motion graphics, not game design. So with that degree I have a lot more options for jobs and such, and it ties into basically any career. Editing, CGI, commercials, educational videos, video games, anything. As of now I want to be an environment artist but I know my goal might change. So self teaching myself how to use programs like 3ds max and Zbrush is the easy part, the challenging part which is why I'm here is to learn other aspects of the digital art industry and apply what I learn from other students and my major to create what ever I want.

I think what ariofighter is saying, and he can correct me if I'm wrong. You will be getting technical skills. But no as much the artistic. You speak about Visual Effects and Motion graphics, which to me would imply needing a strong background in Graphic Design. Does the school give that background before putting you on the equipment? Typography? Etc.

Having those degrees still wont do you any good if you cant get a job because you werent taught the basics of good layout and design.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man, I'm currently wrapping up my time at AiP after spending the last 3 years here, so I'm speaking honestly when I say that your experience here will be exactly what you and your handful of buddies decide to make it.

You already seem to be on the right track by posting here on PC, now the trick is to maintain that same level of drive and passion throughout your time in school, and if you can, you'll be amazed at how much you can learn in such a short time.

My biggest piece of advice would be to find a group of driven individuals and befriend them. Help foster a healthy learning environment amongst your peers and your time there will be a great one. If you start out in the dorms, and that means switch rooms to surround yourself with those ppl, do it.

Push yourself, and push those around you, and finally STAY ACTIVE IN THIS COMMUNITY. This place is The Bar, not your classroom, so hold yourself to a professional standard.

If you have any more in-depth questions just shoot me a PM and I'll try to answer them the best I can. Work hard man. It'll pay off.
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Does the school give that background before putting you on the equipment? Typography? Etc.

I can't speak for the Motion Graphics Major since I am not in it, but in my case, I had a year's worth of fundamental classes, mostly 2-d and theory classes before the technical stuff was ever introduced in the classroom.

At the time I found this a bit frustrating, and just studied up on that stuff on my own. But I can't deny the value of those fundamental classes. You'll use them for the rest of your artistic life, so take them seriously.
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @Robat

DUDE! where you there today during the afternoon? Cuz I just looked at your Dhalsim Jam WIp and I'm pretty sure I saw that open in ZBrush or something, or maybe the kids in there were all looking at polycount stuff.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Before I decided to go the self-taught route I visited a few schools, one of which was AI Chicago. Frankly, it was fucking awful. I visited the Portfolio show briefly after the tour and after browsing around for a few minutes I left. Only one or two students had semi-decent work but it was so unfocused and generic that I doubt they'd land a job anytime soon. If I put myself into $100,000 of debt that early in my life for that I would have been pissed.

Of course it changes from school to school and I've heard some positive things about a few of the AI's. In the end it all comes down to how much you put into it and the kind of people you surround yourself with. If you actually focus, have a goal and work on art in your spare time then you'll be fine. Most of the students at those schools fucking play games during their classes though and don't do shit outside of assignments and they end up jobless and in debt.

Just to hammer in the money part though, do you really want to be $100,000 in debt when you're 22 or 23? It's insane to me. If you have the drive and are able to focus then I'd suggest going the self-taught route or attending something small and short like Futurepoly to supplement your learning. It's okay if you need the structure and want to be surrounded by people at a school like AI though. Just remember you'll be paying off your student loans for quite a while.
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Haha, I think I was showing you some work today man. I had the fish elf thing open in Zbrush. Anyways, I fully back what Robat is saying; Your experience there is what you make it so take charge and find people who will push you to become better as an artist and as an individual.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    School is not what is going to get you a job at the end of the day , your Folio is. So goto school bust ass go home and bust ass more. Worry about making art that could be in CoD rather the playing it. If you stay close to PC and post wips people here will mentor you and also kick your ass but at the end of the day you will either say fuck game design this shits hard, or you will be one step closer to getting a job in the industry. Good luck man keep posting!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Schools for chumps, polycount is all you need!
  • Artifice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just go to a four year liberal arts college for fine art. Learn to paint and drawn, maybe sculpt, and learn the rest on your own (and places like here). The advantages are numerous:

1. Vastly cheaper
    2. You have a degree from an accrediated school that doesn't have 'Art' in the title. A useful thing if god forbid you ever have to get a job outside the industry.
    3. You learn foundational skills that will compliment and augment everything you do professionally.
    4. You'll take classes outside your focus, which means a broader and more balanced background as an artist. Never underestimate the value of a good English class. Quality communication is important in every field.
  • Jozzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jozzy polycounter lvl 8
    Hey y'all. I am AI graduates in San Francisco myself. Well, I never regret of any of my time going there. I am studying Environment Artist myself. I was new student and knowing nothing about 3D platforms and low quality at hand-drawing sketch, to be honest.. i'd rate myself bit better than just stick-man drawing on my first arrival. At end of my 3 n half years there, I loved it, I loved my teachers due to their experience along with my peers in class. I originally major in Animation, but switched to Game Art & Design in end. I never regret any minute of it.

My advice to you all. No matter what or which art school you choice to attend. There will be always tough for entry-level artist like most of us all here in polycount. My advice to you is to make friends with your classmmates and trying to get involved with any kind of mod/collaboration projects. There is plenty of jobs for non-profits group on www.modb.com i think if I get the link correct, not sure. But, my point is to earn your experience on your resume as well practice for your portfolio. START EARLY is best way to go. Make sure you have your mind-set with rightful heart knowing that art is right for you in your long-living career because it really required alot of commitments with big heart and love to it. I doubt alot of us in here are having high-pay job here from first start this career.

Alot of entry-level artists/post graduations are struggling to find job in this industry due to economics meltdown in last few years. So, just have your endurce through to building from the stratch.

Please note that any AI programs are accelerated. It does not mean the everything is bad. It is students' responsbilities on how they take art industry seriously and fat money per quarter/semester. So, the teachers' job is to sort of passing the students based on their level of skills abilities. They cannot keep on failing them from low quality compared to top quality. It is STUDENT's RESPONSBILITES to take their career seriously.

Believe me, I have seen alot among the program. I am glad where I am today because I am at very close to get my first job after 1 year of industry experience since graduation.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I know you're getting swept away by possibilities and want to jump right in, but i cannot stress enough how much time and money you could save taking some courses at a junior college, heck some of them even do 3d courses.

The degree isn't going to get you a job in the game industry, and their talk of helping you find a job is a load of garbage, the only purpose their career services serve is to mooch off your hard work and take as much credit as they can get if you do get a job to inflate their numbers to entice budding new artists to their expensive courses. That said who knows when having a degree may come in handy, but there are plenty of cheaper places to get one.

You will find several courses that could very well make all the difference in your future as a game artist, but the vast majority of the school will be wasted time and money. You'll spend thousands of dollars on classes like astronomy, ethics, rigging (if you're an artist), concept art (if you're an animator), etc etc. Not only is this money you're throwing away, this is wasted energy you could be spending getting good at your trade of choice. Yes it helps to dabble early on to figure out what you want to do, but again it's far cheaper at community college, or just goofing around in Photoshop, Max, Maya, or Zbrush.

Brutaly honest advice if you just want to get into the industry and save as much time and money as possible:

Take enough GE classes at community colleges that you can jump right into art and 3d classes. Ignore the class rubric and figure out what you want to do asap, be it concept art, animation, 3d art. Then focus on those classes and take their pre requisites, they will likely help you as well. Strive to get decent asap and start looking for a job when you're decent, get some art tests and poke your head around to see what's industry standard. Network and all that, try to make connections with the graduating class as they're the ones who will be able to help you get jobs. There were recently some positions open at where i work and the number of people that came to mind that I could refer that didn't already have a job was ridiculously small. If you're a decent person and good at what you do and network, you WILL have a shot. After about a year or so of focusing intently on what path you want to take, if you've worked hard you should be in a position that someone may hire you somewhere and you will have only taken a fraction of the full curriculum.

No one cares about the fact you're an AI graduate, show your strengths in your portfolio. If you're hard working and able to find your own path into the industry the odds of you making it are far better, it's the students who think everything is set in motion to a job by going to school who don't make it in the end.

That's my advice as an AI graduate who has actively observed the rise and fall of my fellow students. I know you likely wont take it, you're all rolled up in your hopes and dreams and the little spiel they pay their recruiters to give you. But at the very least take a few classes at junior college.

Quick edit: The last course you will take is a career advice course where they teach you how to make a resume and cover letter. This is incredibly important to finding a job but there are thousands of places you can learn this common skill for free. Just find a decent one and throw your info onto it. As you grow as an artist try to create "bullet points" that you can put on your resume to help you stand out, enter online competitions like the ones here on polycount and other game art sites. Join mod teams. Not only do these look good and help you make art, but it's just a lot of fun as you toil away penniless on your art.
  • chadabees
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am actually going to agree with crazyfingers on this one. I graduated from the Art Institute of CA - OC . They had a few REALLY knowledgeable instructors, and some not so good ones. I have learned tons more here on polycount and online than I actually did at school. I think that if you have the focus and determination to learn on your own you could save tons of money. Student loans bleh :/ I think school does help though if you really need someone to push you to work, because you have a set schedule to finish things by, people to critique your stuff etc. I did meet tons of people though going to school and it was a good experience :) but expensive. As far as people in labs playing COD, probably 75% of people in the lab when I was at AI were playing WOW, a lot of the time even in class.

Edit to add quote from above - "It is students' responsbilities on how they take art industry seriously and fat money per quarter/semester. So, the teachers' job is to sort of passing the students based on their level of skills abilities. They cannot keep on failing them from low quality compared to top quality. It is STUDENT's RESPONSBILITES to take their career seriously. "

If you do decide to go to school, really push the bar and get involved in as much as you can.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd be scared to go to any school that had cod playing in the lobby. You are paying for school to learn, not hang out and play video games. It really is an artistic skill that requires lots of practice and traditional art skills. I'd ask to see the portfolio of each one of your instructors and some portfolios from graduating students from the last semester.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a proud Art Institute of Dallas dropout.

nuff said.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I studied Industrial Design at AIP...
    I started when it was at the old school, which was absolutely awesome.... we were stuck down in the basement :p
    Then we moved to the new school. Shop was a hell of a lot nicer and the computer department seemed a hell of a lot better.
    Had an awesome time when I was working in the Tech Shop :D:D
    I spent most of my time drinking to be fair and having a great time with my buddies there. If I had to go back I would have preferred to do the CAM course - although I have no idea if that exists in its old form.
    As has been said before, you get what you put in - however... if you spent two years learning off the internet and from here you could probably end up in a similar position, if not better - but with less debt. :p
    Just my opinion - if you go, make the most out of it... plus say hello to Greg up in the tech shop, if he is still there, for me :D
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Greg's still there, don't worry :P
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went to AI, all i gotta say is save your money and run the other way FAST
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a somewhat crazy idea if you've got $100,000.00 burning a hole in your pocket:

Instead of spending all that money on a "school" and making someone else rich. Find and hire a programmer and artist who are both currently out of work and start up an indie game company with them.

Work and learn under them, make a few games and sell them.

You will probably learn way more actually working with professionals on real games, rather than spending that money on a piece of paper called a "degree".

Who knows? you guys might even make the next Minecraft and be rich...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ben Apuna wrote: »
    Who knows? you guys might even make the next Minecraft and be rich...

1. Acquire (or borrow) 100k
    2. Hire a programmer
    3. ???????
    4. PROFIT
    5. Monocles and top hats
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    I'd be wary applying to a school with 'hip' teachers that plays CoD with you in the lobby. To me atleast, that implies they're compensating for their lack of knowledge and professionalism.

Believe me, I went to a course for graphic design that was just like that (but with caffe lattes and ironic t-shirts instead of CoD) and it was rubbish.

Did you get to see any student's work while you were there? I would've loved to see some previous applications from students so I could compare how good they were before/after. How many students that land jobs/internships after they get a degree?

Does the course plan seem to make sense, what and how will they go about teaching the students about 3d, workflow and the different programs, how often will you have lectures from industry people and so on.

Where are previous students working today/do they still have work in the entertainment industry etc? Do they do any follow up on that?

All that is stuff I'd like to know if I were to apply to a school, especially if it's going to cost me 100k$

I've also found that when you learn about doing game art it's generally less about playing games and more about making them.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    suburbbum wrote: »
    Greg's still there, don't worry :P

LOL great stuff.

Working the Tech Shop was great :p
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I'm not going to say don't go to AI, because I have my job now in large part because of the connections and opportunities I ran into while there.
    I will say, if you do go, get as many scholarships as you can, take as many of your general ed classes through a community college as you can, and don't just do the class lessons and expect to get a job when you're done.

AI, and private colleges in general are a business, first and foremost, and their number one focus is the money they make. They will skimp on technology, and experienced and applicable teachers many times, who sometimes may be in the same boat as you, as far as knowledge on the tech goes.

Study on your own ALOT, make friends, and join a mod.

And also: Yea. COD in the lobby of the school sets off some red flags for me. If they're not going to be presenting games and art done by students and professors, then should they be trying to pull you in by presenting a fun party atmosphere?
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    a lot of people are buggin out cuz the CoD thing. it was only used during breakfast and lunch so people would have something to do until the tours started and so on. I think it was mostly for example, if a whole family came and only their son was attending, his three, 5 year old brothers and their uncle could just play CoD the whole day. I had to go and visit the instructor of my major, (which wasn't there so instead I met with the digital film instructor) and I met with John Tivo, a director of admission there, and we toured me through the entire building showing me work and movies and games students that attended there have worked on, and showed me some of the classroom and work shops such as the game design room with all that 3ds max and zbrush stuff up, the green rooms for digital film, the editing rooms and so much more. I'm not the kid that is expecting to go here and they'll teach me everything and I just get a job and boom, I know what I have to do, I really just want the experience of being around hundreds of like minded people.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    so i didnt really bother to read what everyone else wrote but here's my opinion. Im currently attending the Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale, graduating in september. thinking back on my time here, all i can say is what a load of horse crap and a waste of time and money. i can honestly say i did not learn a single damn thing from any one of the teachers here up until they actually hired someone who has REAL industry experience.

the only thing that i benefited from coming here was the motivation that it gave me to actually get my work done. thats good i guess. but let me just point you to another thread real quick.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84560

BEWARE! you will run into this. no matter what school you attend, there will always be groups like this, more than likely most of them will be in that room you said you would be spending most of your time in.

for my school, the only thing that was really worth it in the beginning was the library. they have every gnomon, digitaltutors, and eat3d dvd. using those dvds, i learned more than any teacher would offer to teach. here they want people to be generalists because its florida and there are no big companies down here aside from places that outsource or do casual games. for companies like that they need generalists, so thats what they train you to be. they are AGAINST specializing toward anything in your portfolio which i think is stupid.

the school also LIES! ill assume if mine did, they all do. they lured me in with promises and hopes and dreams of bullshit that doesnt happen. i attended an open house, and they said they use Unreal 3 (this was back in 2007), and that they have 98% job placement.

well here's what i found out. They used Unreal 2004 while i was at the open house, and at the "college connection" i attended. if i had not complained to the department chair damn near every day, we wouldnt have gotten unreal 3 until UDK came out. they basically waited for the Mastering Unreal 3 book from Jason Busby to come out before they even got the game to use the editor just because the teacher who taught unreal (who i recently had fired because HE DID NOT KNOW ANYTHING!) didnt want to learn unreal 3. he actually had THE STUDENTS writing his class tutorials when we first got ut3. then he used the student's tutorials to teach his classes.

in regards to the 98% job placement thing.. the school considers a student graduating and getting a job at gamestop or best buy as a success for them. so generally, once the student gets out of school and those rediculous loans start coming in, they need a job, so any job they get in ANYTHING related to the field, they count as job placement from them.

i had actually gotten an internship (with some crap company but it was my first so i wasnt complaining), through a friend of mine at school. the career services people came to me and had me sign a paper saying they got me the internship. when in fact they had NOTHING TO DO WITH IT.

in general. these schools are terrible and you'll hear this thousands of times but it really is what you put into it. im not going to tell you not to attend a school because it does get you good experience, but thats if you actually apply yourself and dont sit down at a computer every day playing league of legends and bullshitting watching youtube videos and being on 4chan.

there's my rant. hope it helps
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I would suggest finding a city with a decently thriving community/industry, and doing something like a BFA in illustration or some other art degree that focuses more on training you as an artist. Learn the technical stuff on your own and get involved with people and projects outside of school. You're going to end up doing this anyway to be successful. This is where living in a good area will help you. Schools are typically a few years behind the times in technical aptitude, whereas art fundamentals haven't changed. That's not a knock on schools, either, just the way the education system works.

About the only good thing I can say about AiP, not having gone there, is that they appear to be regionally accredited.
  • DrewSmoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrewSmoot polycounter lvl 9
    Went to the Art Institute of Atlanta...no me gusta. Let's just say I got into the industry DESPITE their best efforts. Not to mention the debt you acquire if you are from out of state. Back in '99 there wasn't a ton of schools out there. If My son or daughter was getting into my field there are a lot more places I send them.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I have to agree. I am actually in class right now, taking one of the many classes I am forced to take, to fill credits, because I need to take 5 classes each quarter to receive financial aid. It has nothing to do with my major.
    In fact, I find that so far, most of my classes: Have taught me only the most trivial of things. And: Have nothing to do with my major.
    Of course, this could just be so far.

One more thing- They should let you skip to classes that will challenge you. Because that would alleviate many of my issues.

I'm finishing my first year, and seriously considering walking out. But I already have 1/3 my debt racked up- and for no degree, well, it's a rape-off (rip-off)...
    It did bring me to LA, though- which is good. It's getting me to branch out. But I'm too busy with this awful unrelated classwork to find time to work on actual game art, or my portfolio. Which is not cool at all. I mean, Matte painting? Algebra? 2D Animation?

Seems like they tell everyone the same lies, too. I recall them saying they replaced the computers every year. Yeah, it's a lie. These computers don't even display photoshop's cursor correctly. And the ball-mouses are clogged with who-knows-what from ages ago. It isn't really worth it. Especially in a field such as this where your work, and not your degree, is what matters.

P.S. This school has "GameWizards", where you go to make games in UDK with other people. And I've yet to see anything remotely nice come out of it. And at best, they create a quick walkthrough level, that isn't even complete.

Yeah, I would go back, not enter into college here, and move to LA, and work on my portfolio with a part-time job. Definitely. $100,000 will take me forever to pay off.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    AIFL was a mixed bag when I was there.

You had to do your own studying - college ain't a place to be spoon fed. If you don't learn how to study things yourself, then your college sucks. Because that's what you will do a lot later in your career - study things on your own.

Teachers ranged from awesome to total suck. You better figured out who rocks in the first year, before it's too late. I was lucky and I learned a lot.

Software - was fairly up to date. Then again back when I studied it was just Max, Maya, AE, PS, Flash, painter and Shockwave. Was enough for learning the basics.

I like the approach that they expose you to as many things as possible. AIFL used to have no entry folio. This means they expect total total noobs. It makes sense to expose them to as many different things as possible. Unfortunately this leaves little space for specialization. Personally I am thankful for that because it lets you explore different things - animation, modeling, lighting, etc. It took me easily over 2 years to figure out a) what I really love doing and b) what I was most skilled in. Also it helped me a lot to know about everything else what's going on in a production pipeline when I entered the industry. Much better imho than focusing to early and then all you know is your own specialization.

Demo reel: I agree. the preparation sucks. I had the same complaint - no specialization is stupid. Then again, you can expect that a local school which has ties to local businesses has to cater to these local businesses and when it's generalists they want...

Traditional art courses - they had some really good teacher there back then and plenty of courses. Sculpting, drafting, oil painting, life drawing, 2D animation, etc. nice! I also like the courses they had on cinematography (I wonder if they're still there)

Career services - waste of time, except for the resume classes. Being European I found this very useful to learn how US style resumes work. Everything else is rubbish. The placement numbers are clearly inflated soviet style (99% are for the great leader! huzzah!) But that's really obvious??? I mean, it's Florida! Everything is inflated - e.g. there's the world famous Marina Deli (in the dark corner of the nearby mall) and some world famous mexian restaurant, both I've never heard of before.

But all this was back ....10 years ago...shit I feel old now :(
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    Short Story: I went to AIP, hated it at the time, had a few unrelated tech jobs for about 5 years out of college, and now I'm working at a Simulation company doing modeling and texture work. Did AIP personally help me get my job? Not really. However, the contacts I made helped keep me in the mindset, and all those lame drawing classes make you an Artist instead of a Computer Tech. That may not be what you want, but it's what you need. That's why we work on "Portfolios" and not "Resumes".

My biggest gripe about AIP was the "filler courses"; some were life drawing ("drawing is fundamental") and some were cel animation ("it's your ticket into the field", lol). However, your alternative is, what, a major university? Take a few World History and Womyns Studies courses, and get back to us about how much better off THAT was for your artistic development.

Overall, whatever school you go to is less important than the amount of drive you relentlessly flood your projects with. School is the course, but you can't get to the finish line if you don't supply your own drive.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    AiPittsburgh Alumnus here.

I loved my time at AiP. It really is a great school... *if* you put the time in. Though, the same can be said for most any school or major. You will see people skate along, passing with C's, simply because they turned in the assignment. Such is the nature of any art-centric major. Don't be one of those people. You will have a great pool of talent to pull from. You will be challenged, on many levels. Pittsburgh itself is a wonderful city for any artist.

If you feel that college is the path you want to take, then AiP is not a bad choice. Good luck!

(p.s. Tell Styers I love him. :D)

edit:
    leechdemon wrote: »
    My biggest gripe about AIP was the "filler courses"; some were life drawing ("drawing is fundamental")...

I'm confused as to how Life Drawing is a filler course, in your mind. AiP had amazing Life Drawing teachers, and offered Life Drawing sessions at least twice a week, for free. That, alone, helped me so very much during the first half of the major, where traditional/fundamentals were such a huge focus.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I remember the life drawing classes were pretty good there, although I wish I spent more time doing them instead of drinking :/

Also, the new Batman film will be filmed there, so you can be an extra :D
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    Also, the new Batman film will be filmed there, so you can be an extra :D

Say whaaaaaat?? I wanna be a guy that just walks in the background! Whens that goin down, or was that a joke. :shifty:
  • Scizz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    seriously...batman movie?? lol
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    seriously...batman movie?? lol

I don't get what you think is funny about that.
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Say whaaaaaat?? I wanna be a guy that just walks in the background! Whens that goin down, or was that a joke. :shifty:

Yup, my friends who still live there stood in a massive queue all day to sign up for extra parts :D

As for AIP the thing which irked me the most was the psychology, English etc classes (I am afraid I can't remember exactly which ones we did now :/) however, I was a bit miffed - I had just been in school doing all of that and passed all of my classes. I would much rather have been spending my time with art orientated classes...
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Scizz, i went to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh as well. Thereare some good instructors there, and they will require you to work hard. Make sure that you keep educating yourself on polycount and through other means and you'll do just fine.