Home General Discussion

QA application help

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
So times are tough and i cant find full time work anywhere locally, however i have the chance to possibly enter a QA position. Part of the application requires me to write a review of a game. Since this is so far from what i do on a day to day basis, i was wondering if anyone had any tips on general format, style, do's and dont's

my written skills are a little rusty, so this is gonna take some focus, any help would be appreciated

Replies

• Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Follow what works, for example I always liked IGN's review format, with a score for each aspect (presentation, sound, lasting appeal etc.) at then end of the review.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea, back when I worked in QA I had to do one of those too. I didn't really know anything about QA testing at the time..so my review was definitely from more of a gamers position. I liked the design of this game because bla bla bla art direction was cool because of bla bla bla the camera system sucks, etc...
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    thanks guys, that should give me a good starting point
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    There was a QA guy who was promoted to Project manager at Behaviour before I left.

He really didn't know much about anything, and asked me questions like: What is 3D? What is the process from beginning to end... (to which I showed him my Character Art Pipeline Document).

Then he started asking questions like.. soo.. what you do.. is like drawing? then you scan it in right? and into 3D? Ohhh you DONT do that? So like.. what is Zbrush? I hear that a lot... what is it for? Whats a normal map? What is that used for? What is a low poly? Is there a difference between the Zbrush model and the one in game? Why dont you just put the Zbrush one into the game? How does texturing work again? Woah Whats a UV? Thats stupid! Why dont you just paint it straight onto the 3D model without all that UV crap.

Then topped off with.. how long will it take you to finish that character you are working on?

I said 5 days (I was nearly done).

He said.. you have 3 days.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    good god.
    was this gameloft by anychance? hahahah
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    at Behaviour


  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have taken so many test for game testing and I never really know what they are looking for. I think they are weeding out all the morons who think qa is playing the newest FPS. No it has to be, because I worked as a quality assurance technician at a class III medical device company that didn't require a any sort of test. One tip tho, make sure your grammer and speeling are one hundred precentt.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Why dont you just put the Zbrush one into the game? How does texturing work again? Woah Whats a UV? Thats stupid! Why dont you just paint it straight onto the 3D model without all that UV crap.

Yeah, UV's are stupid... just paint the model in photoshop.

thats pretty funny.