Home Technical Talk

Zpheres: Your Experience/Opinion

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
Hey All,

So, Zpheres: I think I'm sold on how effective a tool they can be for sketching just about any idea.

That said I'm wondering how they fit into your workflow, and also what issues, if any, you have seen while using them.

I've heard they can generate some poor topology, but it seams like this can be fixed by using the resmesh option which produces pretty reasonable topology in my experience, and of course, if your doing something with a very specific structure, like a face, then you can always retopo.

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah that's about it - It's a great start for almost anything. However, I would only reccoomend it for organic things. If you are going to be making something hard surface or whatnot...then I'd rather just start that in Maya / Max etc.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I find them pretty useful. Most of the time I tend to start with an existing basemesh if I can, but if I ever have to do something more unique then zspheres tend to make a good starting point for me. I don't find the topology to be a big problem; my main use for zspheres is just to get something started so I can quickly pound out the shape I want. Once I have that then I can quickly retopologize it into a better mesh and start sculpting away.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    i think they're great, but i honestly prefer sculptris for base meshes now. it's really easy to just flesh out ideas without worrying about topology, yet still getting in the sculpting right away.

meshmixer is also awesome if you need holes/connecting bridges in your sculpt.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Wrong topic...
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
    Zspheres are great but they could be better. Here are some of the things I don't like:
    1. I can't combine different zspheres models together.
    2. The resulting topology could be better.
    3. The mass of the mesh doesn't correspond with the mass of the Zspheres.
    4. No automatic rigging and skinning for the base mesh.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    obliviboy wrote: »
    Zspheres are great but they could be better. Here are some of the things I don't like:
    1. I can't combine different zspheres models together.
    2. The resulting topology could be better.
    3. The mass of the mesh doesn't correspond with the mass of the Zspheres.
    4. No automatic rigging and skinning for the base mesh.

Wow. you don't ask alot..lol

1. I'll have a play in zbrush later, but i think you probably can. I'm not sure I would ever need to though. Creating zsphere models is a quick process so I wouldn't need to append new zspheres. I'd just create new. I'd be able to combine any subtools created with different zspheres though.

2. agreed. Use re-mesh or do a quick re-topo over the model.

3. Use re-mesh

4. lol...you'll want zb to animate and texture it for you next. Add "make character" button. You can use the original zsphere model as a rig though. But i'd never rig or animate a character in ZB anyway.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For the mass of the mesh corresponding to the mass of the zspheres, make sure you're not using 'classic skinning'. The new method seems to match the volume very well from what I've seen. Classic skinning was more of an angry blob.

This is the result of classic (zb3) and zb4's new method, both with a density of 2.

adaptive.gif
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks stinger88 for the tips

cryrid yeah you are right the zSpheres in ZB4 are better, however they produce hard angles at joints, I would like it more smoothed (like the old method but with better mass)
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I've been loving zspheres lately. In past versions I don't think they were as useful because of the wacky results, but now with GoZ it's super easy to make a zsphere mesh and touch it up then zoom back and sculpt. It's definitely been integrated into my workflow.

I start with a rough set of spheres then generate the mesh, GoZ to change some topology or forms I know would be strange after adapting the skin and then head back into zbrush. Pretty fast way to mock something up and get to the fun part.

Is there no way to snap zpheres to axis or move along an axis away from the last sphere you put down? That always seems to cause me problems.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I spent the past day toying with them and they really are a great way to sort out the masses. Any chance there is a way to duplicate a stroke you make in Zketch mode? I would love to be able to do that.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    obliviboy wrote: »
    [*]I can't combine different zspheres models together.

k. Just had a little mess about in ZB. It is possible to combine zsphere objects using unified skin to create geometry.

Combining zspheres together to create a new editable zsphere object isnt possible (i think)

1. create 2 sphere objects.
    2. append one to the other.
    3. use unified skin to create geo.

if you have a torso that needs connecting to legs, intersect the zspheres at the hips. etc.

examplep.jpg
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only problem with that is that the models can't interact with each other in any way. Zsketch will only work on a single tool at a time :(

I've done this, but only to use other zpheres as a guide to draw out an armature, but it was really tedious and didn't seam worth while. Probably just better eff defining your masses and then jumping into sculpting.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    I've just started using Zspheres to make a human character. Love them for making the body topology. But I've had no success getting the head and face to come out right. I've been using Scott Spencer's Zbrush human sculpting book, but I can't replicate his results topology-wise for the head. I've spent two days fighting with it.

Using just a zsphere for the head without any facial features doesn't cut it; there's never enough resolution. Or at least I haven't gotten it to work right.

This is what I end up with before sculpting:

zsphereface.png

Is there any way to keep the loops for the eyes, mouth and nose from being so microscopic? I use the move brush but then eventually the topology just ends up being terrible.

Plus all of the skinning settings too to further complicate it. I guess the answer is in front of me: fuck around with the switches and flip the right ones to get something that doesn't look like death. More time wasted fighting software. :susp:

What's the preferred method for this kind of thing? Just fuck around until it works, I suppose. I'm not using classic skinning because it just looks like ass.

EDIT: Here's what I've sculpted from that (I did little work on the face since I made it a Polymesh 3d, that's why she looks like Homo Erectus):

zspheremesh-1.png

The topology just seems off to me in the face. Is it workable?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Using just a zsphere for the head without any facial features doesn't cut it; there's never enough resolution. Or at least I haven't gotten it to work right.

Instead of using zspheres to create the eyes/nose/mouth, you could just try to create the overall head shape. Then isolate a face using the selection tools (lasso would probably be easiest), and use the Tool: Geometry: Edgeloop tool from there.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    When I do characters I mostly use it to block out poses (really handly for getting weight right for monsters) and then use that to retopo in Maya a base mesh to bring back into Zbrush.

I used Zsketch once for a KD miniature I made which was humanoid. I was able to do the zsketch in symmetry, then using the underlying zsphere skeleton I was able to then pose him and then adaptive skin him to start sculpting on him for the final high.

The best thing I have ever used Zspheres for is making twisted trees or roots. Really, really handy and I rarely have to retopo.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    cryrid wrote: »
    Instead of using zspheres to create the eyes/nose/mouth, you could just try to create the overall head shape. Then isolate a face using the selection tools (lasso would probably be easiest), and use the Tool: Geometry: Edgeloop tool from there.

Tried it but didn't get a good result; from the way I've set up the Zspheres, there's still way too many polys everywhere else but the head when I subdivide with Zspheres2:

sWO52.png

This is what I get.

That facial topology is terrible for sculpting the cheekbones, around mouth/eyes etc, and I still ended up with inadequate resolution:

tvCNz.png

Those polys under the nose are a problem area.

But everything else is great. Complete opposite with classic skinning: face comes out good, everything else an 'angry blob'.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah. You're never going to get good topology and edge flow results with zspheres. You sould only use them to block out shapes to begin sculpting. Then use the topology tools to tidy up and get resolution where its needed.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Zspheres --> rough proportions --> remesh --> some refinement --> retopo
    That works very good. So, I think Zspheres are great. Zspheres ae not about topology. Zbrush has other tools for that.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    C86G wrote: »
    That works very good. So, I think Zspheres are great. Zspheres ae not about topology. Zbrush has other tools for that.

that ^^ precisely that.
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    C86G wrote: »

The remesh part doesn't ever work well for me. Fingers always get mutilated.

This is a workflow problem that I haven't solved for myself yet, and something I find frustrating about zbrush sometimes as a newbie. I thought I could get sculpting results with zspheres, but according to you I'd need to retopo anyway with zspheres before I even sculpt anything.

Don't get me wrong, I have just done that workflow for another nonhuman character though (rough form in sculptris> retopo) and I don't have a problem with it. But that's what I was trying to avoid this time because I was under the impression you could use Zspheres as a base mesh, sculpt, and then retopo.

From reading the Scott Spencer human sculpting book as well as plenty of tutorials online I was under the impression that after you set up the Zspheres armature you could use that as a base sculpting mesh. I hope I didn't read it correctly, otherwise it's kind of misleading.

What is a good workflow, then, for getting a good quick basemesh to use for sculpting out a human before you have to worry about any retopology?
    I guess starting in sculptris like I did before. But then I don't get to have the usefulness of zspheres in roughing out proportions. :susp:

All I want to do was practice anatomy sculpting and improve my art skillz, not start the whole retopo planning phase.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    i find you're fine blocking out gross forms without any form of retopology. it's when you want to get into defining anything more precise that you need a nicely retopo'd mesh

I do most of my retopo for bodies using wrapit in max as it's easier to get regular loops than in zbrush but for complex stuff i retopo in zbrush, export, stick it all together in max and then take back to zbrush for the rest of the sculpt
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Then I don't understand what stuff like this is all about (this is just one example):

http://duncanfraser.deviantart.com/art/Zsphere-Base-Head-Workflow-252008783

It looks like he starts with the Zspheres and sculpts away, no pre-retopo. Ever since I started learning Zbrush I've read things like this online. The Scott Spencer book also goes off on this assumption.

Can't blame me for being a bit misled when I read stuff like that.

I'm starting to conclude that, while that workflow can get you some results, sooner or later you'd have to retopo midway through to finish the sculpting.

I really don't like the idea of having to retopo a face sculpt midway through though.

I guess it's a trade off; have good proportions with zspheres but have to retopo midway, or start with sculptris or dynamesh and spend more time on proportions but have good sculpting topology.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    i prefer to retopo early so as to avoid having to redo lots of work when projecting my scuplt onto the new mesh goes wrong
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Tried it but didn't get a good result; from the way I've set up the Zspheres, there's still way too many polys everywhere else but the head when I subdivide with Zspheres2:
    It's not meant to directly solve the resolution problem. The edgeloops do add in more resolution, but incrimentally. It's geared more towards solving your microscopic concern.

Retopology is going to be the best bet if you want to get the absolute best topology and a consistant resolution out of it. Push the zspheres as far as you can to get all the volumes established, and you'll be left with something that should be quicker to retopologize and waiting for the detailing.

I thought I could get sculpting results with zspheres, but according to you I'd need to retopo anyway with zspheres before I even sculpt anything...From reading the Scott Spencer human sculpting book as well as plenty of tutorials online I was under the impression that after you set up the Zspheres armature you could use that as a base sculpting mesh.

It depends on what you mean by sculpting-results. You can easily get in what could be considered sculpting results to some with zspheres, but if your idea is to do a full body at pore-level detail then there's going to be some complications unless your machine can push for the extra subdivision levels to handle it (HD Geo perhaps).

Zspheres can let you quickly flesh out a base to begin sculpting from scratch, but the topology is still automatic and so it can often need some manual loving.