Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) combat armor Character

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
HI! heres is a 3d sketch WIP that im working on for my second character. this mesh only serve as a sketch to know where i will put the pieces and for the shapes. tell me what you think about the concept so far. im plannig to add a huge reactor jetpack attached the the spline-like armor part.
[IMG][/img]renderback.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us
[IMG][/img]renderxc.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Replies

• dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Nice concept, I like where this is heading! keep it up!
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some little updates
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG][/img]bprrender.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [IMG][/img]bprrenderback.png Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    comments ,crits!??! :D
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    The design is actually really cool, but I think you need to mess with its proportions. It has really short stubby legs and big feet, giving it almost a cartoonish appearance.
    try stretching the legs and making the head, hands, and feet a little smaller; like this:
    suitguy.png
  • Superconductor
    Great head shape. The ab section could be raised a bit, for the heroic high chested look. Keep up the good work.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    youre right, ill make those legs longer and those hands smaller :D
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So heres on update, hes starting to get pretty big with all the new pieces but i dont hate it since he<s a ram(with the jet pack that ill add) /melee combat guy. some parts are missing on the HIS left side to save some polys for now.
    tell me what youthink about it and the overall design.
    Thanks!

bprrenderv0010.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bprrenderv0011.png

bprrenderv0012.png

bprrenderv0013.png

• Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would really like to have crits on the composition of the guy, and the proportion/design. that would be very appreciate. thank you! :D
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    looks pretty sweet to me. the hands could do with a bit more love imo
    also not loving that piece between his chest and stomach i think you could put something a lot more interesting there. another thing that would help make him look cooler is maybe a few subtle details on the larger plates of armour, nothing much just like some bolts or keyholes or whatever just so it doesn't look so bare.
  • MonsterMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonsterMan polycounter lvl 9
    I like the concept on this and the tubes connected to the croch area cracked me up. My thoughts were "thats were the pee is recycled". lol I do think the shielding on the arms has gottena bit bulky. I liked the first post better when it came to the armor. Just doesn't seem like he can move in the new armor. /shrug
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive wrote: »
    looks pretty sweet to me. the hands could do with a bit more love imo
    also not loving that piece between his chest and stomach i think you could put something a lot more interesting there. another thing that would help make him look cooler is maybe a few subtle details on the larger plates of armour, nothing much just like some bolts or keyholes or whatever just so it doesn't look so bare.

thannks illusive, for the hand, ididnt worked on them, they are the same as on the concept, will make them in Max like the head and yes the small details are not there yet, iwill add some bolts and paterns design at the end to fill those bar plates. :D was thinking of a honeycomb patern that i could repeat a little bit everywhere.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonsterMan wrote: »
    I like the concept on this and the tubes connected to the croch area cracked me up. My thoughts were "thats were the pee is recycled". lol I do think the shielding on the arms has gottena bit bulky. I liked the first post better when it came to the armor. Just doesn't seem like he can move in the new armor. /shrug
    your right, i think by just making the bicep area smaller it will help alot to me make him look like he could move his arm. and maybe play with the shoulders too. ill try that thx!! :D
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MonsterMan wrote: »
    "thats were the pee is recycled".

hahaha big dude gatte pee too :D
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so ive been busy in the last last days, hers what ive done. he keeps getting bigger lol
    but now must of the pieces are there and ill start the little details after. tell me what you think :)
    bprrenderv0015.png

bprrenderv0016.png

• Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any comment and or crits?, especially DESIGN wise. I started this guys knowing nothin about design. I try to make the pieces fit as much as possible but it takes me so much time.
    Ive learned in the meantime in a concept art class some really usefull stuff about design but its still one of my weakness.
    Any help would be veeery apreciated

Charcter specification: the suit is mainly used for melee combat. The left side of the suit is almost all shielded to protect him when he ram on an ennemi. The jet pack is mainly for speed purpose more then flying and the 2 little ome on the legs are for mid air stabilisation.

Thanks for any crits :D
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump bump bump
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    design is about shapes, and u'r working with trizillion shapes

always relate to ur basic anatomical forms n shapes (cylindars and ellipses, mostly). any way u go from there, breaking it up in a certain manner, is 1 "algorithm". Ur design here has a zillion, cuz u expand on the basic and then elaborate on the expansion in a non-consistent way. so the design ends up clogged

the direction doesn't have to be simple->complex always, u can work both ways if u control it, but right now ur design is all over the place. try simplifying it first, making it work at a more basic level, and then move onwards consistently and more thoughtfully
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alot shotgun! I really agree with everything you said and that really clarify what i did wrong. I really got lost in the prosses because i didnt had a solid concept to follow. Maybe ill delete most of pieces and just keep the ones that i think fits the best and take way more time to concept in PS over that.
    I really did everything in the wrong order
    Anyways thanks again, that really comfirms what i was feeling about this.
    Any other advices to help me recycle this messed up desing?!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try and think, already in the process, what material what u'r making is. try and formulate some order (skin covered by cloth covered by armor, for instance). this will help u 'move on to the next part' without getting excessive in any particular direction
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again shotgun, very apreciated. I think that the upper back is more and the back of the foot / leg is the most succesful parts . The weapon hand is a real mess. And and most of the front really dont fit with the back.
    What do you think?
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree
    enuf banter, get to work

and try to use some simple values to separate materials, that might be easier for u