Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Sword in the Stone

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
skylebones polycounter lvl 10
I don't post in this section as often as I would like. But here is an environment I've been working on. I have really gotten into hand painted textures the past couple of years but I've mostly been doing quick props instead of full scenes. So I wrote down a list of about 5-6 environments I would love to make in a hand painted style. The iconic sword in the stone was at the top of my list. I'd like to make the other scenes I wrote down, but I'll take it ones step at a time. BTW, I used Unity 3D as the game engine.

Sword_Stone_01.jpg
Additional scene views.
Sword_Stone_02.jpg

SNS_03.jpg

SNS_02.jpg
Thanks for checking it!

Replies

• Jbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jbird polycounter lvl 7
    Cool! really digging it, I like the fact that you did a little cut-out scene, I myself have the problem that i start out small and then feel i need to make it very big... having difficulties considering things done I guess. Good job, keep it up!
  • Cexar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cexar polycounter lvl 6
    Really feeling the setting! Great job!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work man! Top notch.
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    The sword is wonderful !

The scene is also cool, especially the trees (could we see some wires and/or flat textures ? :poly142:).
    But somehow I don't dig the grass (billboards planes) and leaves that are going down the rock from the tree.

I think they are too bright, the difference between the rest of the scene is too sharp, especially in the second shot.
    The planes are all turned the same way (I understand that's because they're supposed to come out from the cracks made by the bricks on the floor) and are very similar each other, same with the leaves that pops too much IMHO.

Also, I didn't clearly see the sword at the first glance. I wondered where was the sword at the first glance, maybe the glow is too strong ?

Otherwise, very cool, I like it a lot, especially the trees. Can we see close view of them ? :)
    Handpainted rules :poly124: Keep it up ! 'Will look for your other handpainted stuff for sure.
    :thumbup:
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love It, pretty cool idea, great job!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It's looking cool so far! my two biggest issues with it are that the stone looks way too shiny, it reads as metal to me, and the sword was really hard to notice. In fact, I didn't even see it until after I read other people mentioning it. The bloom near it seems to fade it into its immediate surroundings.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Looks Great!
    I agree about the "metal rocks" and the sword.
    That yelow light on the left looks the focal point in my opinion. I barely see the sword.
    Maybe some fog and a warm glow on the sword would help. Just an idea.
    It looks like you are using unity...Are you using color correction and lightmap? Or you did that just using standard lights?
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    This looks great. I love the color, lots of variety, and makes me happy to look at. Good job!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the suggestions. I'll have to go back and make some changes. After looking at something for so long you start to miss issues.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    what engine is that?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using Unity 3.0 Pro.

I updated the first post with new images that include some changes you guys suggested. I toned down the lamp light, also toned down the blue glow around the sword and made the sword glow with a slightly warmer color to make it pop more. I also soften the rock texture a bit to make it look less metal, but I didn't have a lot of time to tweak that last night.

Fabrio - The lights are all baked in Unity. I just left them in the third image to show how I did my setup.