Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polycount Study Group C

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
This thread is for feedback and brainstorming for the work of those in Group C. Everyone is welcome to post critique but please refrain from posting outside work if you are not currently assigned to the group.

Alright guys have fun and start posting. :)

Replies

• Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Mike. Hopefully Ill have something to post this week in between finals tearing me a new one.
    Always around to blab on about other peoples stuff though :P

Other people in group D: add my skype if you want immediate feedback on anything.
    Bonebrew22
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Hey fellow Group C ers
    Look forward to giving out some critique and getting some myself on indie/ personal work.

EDIT:

Okay Bowen, so just following through what we said on Skype, you really need to get your basic proportions and anatomy blocked out before using high subdivisions and adding clothing. Also it would probably help using a style reference with proportions of a dwarf, rather than a proportionally opposite style.
    Though I'm no character artist, so perhaps somebody else can step in.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I think the biggest issue is with the main forms. You really need to have reference to pull the anatomy from. It looks lumpy as it stands now. I wouldn't start designing the clothing until you have the anatomy down. If you can't find anything from life close to what you're looking for maybe try something like this instead. See how he fleshes out the body before adding armor? It really helps sell everything otherwise you're building a castle on sand.

hot_dwarf_model.jpg
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, play with the forms some more.
    You seem like you havent really gone in and SCULPTED on that guy yet.

Also member what I said in skype if your trying to put some stylization into the shapes try the trim dynamic brush.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBwbln1dlcc[/ame]
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i know it may sound repetative, as its said a lot, but you need to step down a few subdivision levels (maybe just 1) and really push the forms to the point of hyper-realism, and then smooth them back down.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    WoW does not have true to life anatomy but it works because they understand anatomy. You are part of a feedback group brother, I'd advise you to listen to some. If 7 people tell you the same thing chances are it's not everyone else that is wrong.

Just want you to improve. The hair looks pretty cool. :)
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    i am not going for a photorealistic anatomy design.

just wanted to point out that it doesn't matter whether you are making a photo realistic human or a stylized human, they are both humans and has to follow some fundamental human anatomy in order to look like a human.

it seems like you are not open to suggestion, but here is one in case you want to learn.
    step away from zbrush, block out the shapes in polygons.

look at TF2 models for example, they all follow the high level anatomy with exaggeration to proportions. every single TF2 model can be created just with polygons without ever entering zbrush.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    you could show us the new one . on another side ... and you have here a fat solidier :D ..

the arm look a little flat

bwncriev.jpg

try to make this area and the hole arm , bigger on front view . hope that help
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah awesome song Bonebrew... you remind me of the Techno viking now.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's what ive got so far. workin on the low poly for my rifle, its roughly under 10k tris. gonna break it down some more once i collapse the stack to get rid of some of the symmetry lines.

riflelp.jpg
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    The rifle has a good silhouette, but is it just me or is there some distortion going on at the top part of the scope?
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work , nothing to crtis really .. dont forget to break it for baking

here is wath i'm working on :)

bake_54.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Oniram : Seems like you've got a lot of unneeded edges, and its hellishly messy which could make UV mapping harder than it needs to be. Also your poly distribution is bad, you've got a cap on the side near the front thats got a lot of edges whilst there is other areas closer to the butt that look quite lowpoly. Also avoid those really long thin tris

Ayoub44 : I think the tiles have enough depth, you could add some edges to give them a bit more shape. Also your low poly has a lot of shading issues, add some bevels and some loops on the end. The wood doesn't really look all that well defined, but the texturing should look after that.

--

Anyway I said I'd post something up, I'm currently cleaning up a large ship wreck model so that the interior can be modular and so the details are instanced. So far I've just broken up the exterior. Everything in the picture below will use tiling textures with vertex colours, I still need to add (or subtract.. heh) about 20 holes and make the whole thing a little less even.
    boatblockout.jpg

Here are the details which will populate the exterior, these all need to be properly modeled and might have unique textures, I haven't decided yet.
    boatexteriordetailsbloc.jpg

I also need to model all in the modular hallways and rooms, along with all the damage debris that can be placed around the holes in the ship. In terms of time scale, I have probably about 10 days to get this finished.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oni: Agree w/ myles. remeber the crits you got on that dragon axe? That thing was WAAY to highpoly.
    And I think if you took out the unneded edges you could get that thing down to 5k at most.
    Good work tho.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXcCR1Pr-4A"][/ame]

Just did a speedsculpt to unwind from school.
    Timelapse:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXcCR1Pr-4A[/ame]

Eh, should have used references.
    I kinda based it on this guy I just found on CGHub
    http://cghub.com/images/view/38426/
    dude.jpg?t=1306281493
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Oniram wrote: »
    here's what ive got so far. workin on the low poly for my rifle, its roughly under 10k tris. gonna break it down some more once i collapse the stack to get rid of some of the symmetry lines.
    you can reduce the tricount by a huge amount on this - notice how most of your density is actually in areas like the stock and grip which won't really be seen in FPV. Definitely try to cut it down by at least a few thousand - 10k isn't unreasonable for a gun but it has to be more judiciously spent. Focus triangles where people will see them and where things need a smooth silhouette:

OWTef.jpg

Also, it looks like you have a lot of different parts clipping through each other, which will probably suck up valuable UV space and make baking just a bit more tedious. Maybe try to connect some of those forms.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah. i know ive got a bit of work to do with making a low poly, but generally, i dont see how 10k is too high. i do understand that i may not need all of it, but i mean, looking through some other portfolios and game-res guns, im seeing things between the 7-12k range. im really trying hard to break this down as far as possible, but a lot of it really is needed for the silhouette. im at sort of a crossroads here because im hearing, take it down some, and dont have long tris.. generally the same crit ive been hearing about most of my work. the thing is, a lot of these shapes, minus the cylindrical ones, need extra geometry in certain areas so that they will not have long skinny triangles.

@Tokoya: im not sure im understanding which part you are talking about.

@myles: UV mapping has been surprisingly easy for me thus far. mostly because a lot of the edges offer no need for smoothing groups, in which case each separate piece needs only 1 or 2 UV islands, but i do understand what you mean. in regards to poly distribution. im trying to generally get the hang of letting go of geometry. its hard for me to use a cylinder less than 12 sides on anything that isnt tiny, and if it is that small ill more than likely project it. for certain things like the big cylindrical piece in the back, i figured since it wouldnt be seen directly in FPV, then it may not be necessary to have it high poly. i appreciate the comments, but im really trying very hard to break the habit of "needing" all that geometry.

@Bonebrew: i probably wouldnt let this get to 5k. it seems a bit too low for a long rifle that has organic and cylindrical pieces. my scope alone is about 1.5k, and even if i brought it down to a decent amount of ring edges, it still needs to be able to hold up in FPV, so i wouldnt see it going any less than 1k. if anything i know i can probably find some hidden geometry inside of some of the connecting pieces and consolidate those.

@Ben: thanks for that pic. ill definitely use that to rework the geometry. ill try and connect some of the pieces so baking can be made easier.

ALSO! in general, how bad would it be to have 5 or 6 (just tossing a number but anything higher than 3) edges connecting to a single point on a flat surface. i mean, if i need 4 edges on 1 side of a part of this, and 1 edge on the other side, would it be ok to run ALL of those edges to 1 point?
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    ALSO! in general, how bad would it be to have 5 or 6 (just tossing a number but anything higher than 3) edges connecting to a single point on a flat surface. i mean, if i need 4 edges on 1 side of a part of this, and 1 edge on the other side, would it be ok to run ALL of those edges to 1 point?
    Yeah, I think this is where your going astray with your poly distribution.
    When it gets down to a final Ingame mesh, you dont have any reason to worry about how many triangles your creating.
    It just doesn't matter, unless your smoothing the flat faces with a corner, in whits case you STILL usually cant afford to add in supporting edges, it just comes with the territory.

Just make sure you don't get any radical smoothing errors across the flat surface and beyond that, go for optimization. Its a balancing act for sure, but that's why its game art :P
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i got a nice crit on skype to just generally make some of the triangles "look" like quads, by removing a center edge between 3 tris. same thing essentially but i guess it looks more appealing to the eye to not see a bunch of triangles bunched together. ive gotten it down to about 8.6k now. :D
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Myles : BIG piece , if you are using modual for this one , i just want to give you that link .. is very helpful :)

http://www.kevinjohnstone.com/Help/Modular%20Environment%20Design.rar

good luck
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Bonebrew22 : Seems like you've got the style down nicely. As you said yourself though, could have done with a little bit of reference for proportions. You should totally add those goggles man.

--

Thanks a lot ayoub, thats really helpful!

Unfortunately I didn't get as much done today as I hoped, but I cleaned up the cuts and got those ready to be detailed tomorrow. I also added all the 'entrances' to the ship hull in a style that should look realistic (peeled forward panels).
    boatwip.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to finish off the hull damage on the middle cut and add the holes for the rooms which will be accessible from there. I'll also add the cuts for some more of the doorways into the cabin area. I will have to make some general shelling scale models for the doors and hatches at this point.
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    C'mon guys post your works!

--

Forgot to upload a shot last night so heres the progress so far, I've added all the holes and entrances necessary (actually I forgot a hatch on the top, derp) and I've almost finished adding the damage to the hull itself, all the rest of the damage will be added with instanced bits and pieces.
    boatwip3copy.jpg

Oh and heres the start on some of the details, probably going to remake some of it though, as they are just shelling meshes.
    boatwip35details.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Bonebrew22 : I thought i recongnized that face. The chin could be a bit larger to match the concept and the lips feel a bit wide.

Myles : Can you post your reference? Might help out to compare it.
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Just thought I'd post the concept I'm working on, starting with the chair first, I'll probably post a screen a little later today

idswf5.jpg[/IMG]
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Myles : i hope to see this on zbrush . you can make some crazy damage :)

Hboybowden : the arm looking pretty cool , post more cloth informaton

cool concept tokoya , hope too see the progress soon
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Hboybowen: lookin better. i still think you're working at too high a subd level..the arms look quite muddy.

finished baking and fixing my normals and AO. and i started to add some color just to get a feel of it. i may still play around with them. ill start on texturing tomorrow. (and its down to 8.4k tris now. :D )

RifleColor_RifleLP45_persp_user_00001.jpg
  • myles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myles polycounter lvl 13
    Tokoya - Really awesome concept to work from, you should be able to pull that off really nicely in the latest UDK.

Oniram - Fantastic bake! Not too sure about the turquoise, it works well by the stock, but not on the larger circle below the scope, keep going though man, looks beastly! (PS I'd love to shoot this gun, and I'm not even a gun fan.)

--

So I finally passed my gameplay shelling stage today (yay!). Incase people werent aware this is part of proper map for the retail game Depth. I also have to do the bow. Now that I've finished shelling the gameplay meshes though I can start shelling all the detail meshes and work on the uv's on the larger bits. Probably got another 3/4 weeks before this is close to shipping quality :\
    boatmodularwip.jpg
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Oniram I'm really digging that gun, imo the texturing has that futuristic clean look that I love, the specular is spot on and the detail around the barrel thingy in the back looks really intricately made, well done!

Myles Depth is something I've been looking forward to for awhile (sharks and the deep sea scare me )

the flow of the level is looking solid with lot's of connecting bits and I'm looking forward to seeing with what you do with what I'm assuming is a control station in the upper level top pic. I can also imagine the shark players setting up some nasty traps when the divers try to cross the gap in the last pic :poly130:
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still working on this :)

uo_154tank.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    New Groups are going up this week. Everyone needs to PM me on Polycount (LRoy). Include your Facebook and Skype names. Also whether you prefer a Character or Environment group. If you do not do this you will not be placed in a group.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Working on a Diablo III like level/scene, got the modular floor atm:

Refloor-1.jpg