Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Polycount Study Group A

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
LRoy polycounter lvl 10
This thread is for feedback and brainstorming for the work of those in Group A. Everyone is welcome to post critique but please refrain from posting outside work if you are not currently assigned to the group.

Alright guys have fun and start posting. :)

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    im in group C but I just wanted to say i think maybe the neck needs some attention.
    istockphoto_4440828-female-profile.jpg
    Looks great tho
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoneBrew Stay out of my group !

but yea i agree with bonebrew.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    The groups are open to everyone to comment and critique. Only those assigned to the group should post their work here though.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Obviously the ears are still in very early stage but I noticed that where the ears meets the face looks a bit off. You will need to dig in deeper there. Also this part is a bit to sharp i think. It is ok to be sticking out but may be make it more round.
    study_1.jpg

I dont have much time and I am leaving for few days but I should be posting something during the week.
    Great idea about those groups.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I will post my wips here.

vetinari1.jpg

Also I used
    my headbase

headfree-590x656.jpg

can download here will be trying to share my models -)
    http://makecg.com/downloads/malehead.zip
  • makecg
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    @makecg-Its really hard to judge your model with only one static view like that. We need more angles like almighty_gir.

@almighty_gir Back of the head comes out too far and the front, from neck.

Both of you guys heads has the strange extrusion/indent on the sides of the forehead where the top of the eyes stick out. I'm not sure I've seen any references that have that.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Gir you just need some photo ref orthos really, I did a quick painty, moving the eyes down is the main thing.

bsI1M.jpg

It's hard to give much of a crit for ya makecg, he's pretty stylized. the hands need some work I guess lol. You could push the zigzag of the temples in if that's not part of the style.

keep it up.

I'm working on this cop guy, more or less happy with the concept >_<
    I'm not great with creases so sculpting that stage I'm gonna need alotta help lol.

Ip0jH.jpg

it's a quick paintover of this anatomy sculpt.
    lb04wip17t.jpg
    headcloseupwip07t.jpg
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought I would go ahead and make my first post and introduce myself to everyone here. Seems like I am one of the only hard surface guys so far.

Anyways started a new project for this thread a Bell AH-1 SuperCobra. Working on the blockout at the moment, nothing exciting.

cobrablockout2.png
  • KyleH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @makecg- Your sculpt has a very interesting look to it, I would love to see a few more angles. I would also suggest adding more form to the orbital socket, specifically on the outer sides of the eyes

I am also interested as to how one joins one of these study groups?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Mask, quite honestly i don't know if i can even criticise your work as it's leaps and bounds above my skill level!
    at a glance though, i'd say maybe soften up his abs a bit. when i look at the entire figure, his legs, arms, back, and face don't seem quite so "cut" as his abs do. whether this is intentional or not, i don't know, but he seems like someone who is fit and healthy... and that means he probably still has a little puppy fat and/or his abs aren't overly strong by comparrison to the rest of him.

oh, and give him a cock already!

as for my girl... thanks for the crits guys. i worked on trying to soften up the area below the eyes, as well as moving the eyes down a tad. i made the tip of the nose a little wider, and changed the shape of the lips slightly. i also worked on softening the jaw-line a little, but also cut in just below her cheek bones and tried to define the zygomatic arch a bit better.

then i got bored and did some polypaint :P
    study_2.jpg
    study_3.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Sorry guys, I'm late, was out of town for 6 days, working on this, doing some doodles as well.

betterwater.png

smallupdate.png

MQ4rW.png
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Great work everybody.

@almighty_gir this looks a lot better now just few things you could try ( I am not sure if this is going to help but if you want you can try) I marked it on the image - try pushing the back of the jaw in a touch and pull it out a bit just before that so it looks more round and soft.
    study_3.jpg

@makecg this looks great man. What I can suggest is try breaking up the lilne between the hair and the head. you can just cut in deeper.

@Mask_ Salesman This anatomy looks amazing man. Trying to find something wrong with it so i couold help you improve but I am afraid there is nothing wrong with it :) sorry dude. Perhaps the ears look just a bit small to me- may be scale them up 10-15 %. Can't wait to see this progress.

@Perfect blue this going to be sick :) I will be doing some hard surface modeling as soon as I am done with my current project.

@ZackD I dig the turtle :) not sure about the rest. The shapes of the terrain look a bit too simple and I cant really see that dock with the object on it. show us some close up may be :)

This is what I was working on today- getting all my high poly meshes ready to take them to zbrush and start damaging them :)
    columns-and-Steps-base.jpg

columns-and-steps-base-close-up.jpg
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @disanski, Liking the architecture so far, what program did you create the base mesh in?

Anyways block out finished (except for the minigun and the device attached to the nose) and adding in some details as well. Decided to go with the AH-1W SuperCobra variation of the helicopter.

super_cobra2.png

Edit: Removed original image due to ortho screen grabs.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    AAhh ortho renders hurt my face >_<
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    morning folks....nothing to show yet (fiddly freelance gig NDA fun)

Makecg: as mentioned before It's tricky to crit the style without ref of where you want to take the piece. The one thing that I would mention is that the "body" of the hand seems quite thick compared to the spindly fingers, I think that thinning that area out will sell the hands as boney a lot easier

Mask_Salesman: love the anatomy sculpt, and the face is yummy. The only tiny thing I could find was that the feet seem a little flat at the top where they join the ankle/shin....heheheh trivial huh?

almighty_gir : No crits from me, she's really close to looking hot, i just cant quite put my finger on whats stopping it for me.....probably just cos shes not my type :D does the chin feel a bit too sharp though ?

ZacD : i want to see more of the asteroid/moon he looks ace. I think that the turtles head could do with more love, its one of the focal points for me but feels like its being dominated by the shell at the moment....if that makes sense?

disanski: are these edges a bit too sharp?

disanski.jpg

i dont know if that image has worked.....I cant see any dropbox linked images for some reason...odd that. *EDIT* i have no idea how to show stuff from dropbox.....bloody thing :D

Perfectblue: solid looking blockout....the engine area seems a little thick compared to the ref but its a blockout so my comment is probably redundant, looking forward to seeing you take it further.

great stuff group A....I hope to have something up soon :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    almighty_gir : the ears look a bit too connected to the head. Projections looks very clean.

ZacD : Stuff looks great. Reminds me of a cross between mario and zelda.

perfectblue : block looks good. get on that highpoly :thumbup:

Mask: Looks like this isn't your first rodeo haha. Maybe on the back the muscles look a bit off. Shoulder blades should be a little more subtle?

seth : the sharp edges may cause problems when baking the normals. could try softening them up just a bit if you encounter trouble.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    headcloseupwip07t.jpg
    THis looks great. But a word of caution if this is for baking, a lot of the tiny wrinkles and micro details might not bake so well. You often need to exaggerate these types of details to get them to bake well. Also for things like stubble, it can be helpful to simulate hair/fur and include that in the bake.

Other than that, it looks FANTASTIC, great job!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    New Groups are going up this week. Everyone needs to PM me on Polycount (LRoy). Include your Facebook and Skype names. Also whether you prefer a Character or Environment group. If you do not do this you will not be placed in a group.