Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Diablo 3 concept re-creation

My latest project, one of the diablo 3 concepts which can be found here:

http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/_images/artwork/ss73-hires.jpg

Below are some UDK screenshots, some zbrush sculpts of random pieces and some viewport shots showing some of the assets using the awesome Xoliul shader. I tried to keep the style fun and interesting but still use modern tech. Everything is hand painted or sculpted, zero photo's used in any fashion. There is always more I can do, but I want to move on to something else soon @_@

That being said I am curious if anyone knows how to make god-rays ignore particles or vice versa... my lanterns look like a disco lights and it's killin me.

-Blupanda

final_01.jpg
final_05.jpg
final_02.jpg
final_03.jpg
sculpts.jpg
viewport_shots.jpg

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, great sculpting although I would say the frequency of chipping is overkill in many places, instead making it more subtle in areas less touched and concrentated in certain parts would benefit the stairway. Nice lighting, the mood feels just right.
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Wow! This is badass! You've definitely got some skills man! Awesome concept, and a great realization of the painting. You have done an excellent job of blending sculpting with the handpainted look. I know that the concept is a little light on the details surrounding the stairs, but I think that you could really push this even further. You should really think about how these particular set pieces fit into the larger scale of a level. I think that this has potential to really be an awesome portfolio piece, just keep to it! The only real deviation I am noticing from the concept is the lighting from the two lamps and the light coming from inside the tree. I would bump the intensity of the light inside the tree and work in a little post processing to get some bloom effect around the lamps. Other than that this is great work and I can't wait to see this go further!
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really impressed, nice sculpting and texturing thums up!
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The painted stone is looking great!

My main concern is where the top of the stair railways meet the large archway, it just looks a bit... odd or empty. The left side is covered by one of the roots, perhaps some ivy/plant life growing in that corner would help cover up where the geometry hits.

Other than that, it looks great. I really like the lanterns and lighting.

Also I no what you mean as in "theres more I can do but I want to move on to something else" suffering with the same thing right now as I wait for my graduation to come up in june.
  • mosena
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks really awesome man!
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks freaking awesome! My only gripe is the damage placement, how frequent it was, and how none of the damage seemed to deviate in size.
  • Docm30
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Docm30 polycounter lvl 10
    You assets themselves look really nice, but something about the UDK scene doesn't do it for me, and I believe that is the lighting. The yellow light in the middle seems to be the problem---it looks out of place and unnatural. I think the scene would have a better contrast if it were just the torches and the moonlight (and I suppose a bit of a menacing red glow from the interior couldn't hurt).

Soem work on the lighting and you'll have your self a great little scene.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you make a normal map, or just use the high poly to help with diffuse?
  • BluPanda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey folks, made a short vid in engine, demonstrates the disco lights I mentioned... I'd like to crank the glow on those lights a bit more but it really messes with the rays which I would like to be static.. however the particles ... yeah you'll see in the vid.

http://nilesd.com/d3/vid_04/vid_04.html

thanks for the feedback all!
    @achillesian - normal maps used
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work! Really cool to see the scene in motion, and maybe some gentle swaying of grass and brush would be cool too. I agree with the crits mentioned before concerning the wear and tear, but overall it's a nice piece. :thumbup: