Home Technical Talk

modo material question

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
hey guys, so I'm checking out modo at the moment. I'm a bit confused with the materials and could use a bit of help-

it looks like I need to specify a uv set in the material properties (texture locator panel). So, my question is how do I have one material applied to several objects with different UVs, if I have to specify one UV set in the material?

am I seeing this completely wrong?

thanks!
-rich

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Uhm, I've almost never specified UVs at all for the material.

But generally my UVs have the same name so it isn't a problem for me.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hm. i saw it done in a tutorial so I figured that was the way :)

would you mind writing the steps you take when applying one diffuse textured material to two objects? thanks!

edit:

ok I'm beginning to understand: I see that if uv sets have the same name it lumps them together in the selection list. my imported objects had uv sets automatically named after themselves, so they were all different. I can live with naming my uv sets the same :)
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Uhm, this might disappoint you but I don't have many steps at all.

1. Select obj1
    2. Press M, apply material
    3. Select obj2
    4. Press M, apply same material

Oh, I guess there are some steps to actually make it a texture material. To add a texture to the material just.. uhm:

1. Open up Shader Tree
    2. Find the material group you applied
    3. Then press Add Layer > Image Map > Load Image (or new Image if you want to paint one in modo)
    4. Make sure the image node is parented under the material group.

Note that the ordering matters since they tried to make it work like Photoshop layers.

Hope this helps... I'm a little at loss on what to tell you though. Haha. :)

Well, maybe you are trying to do something I don't do...
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the different UV sets you have all share the same name, it should just work.

In the same way that if you applied a texture in a Max material and told it to use UV1, it would use the first UV channel of all the meshes you apply the material to.

Also, I find it easier to just drag+drop the image from the Images tab straight onto the model. It'll add it in as an image map to whichever material is applied to the polygon you drop it on. Saves all the dicking around with adding an image map via the menus and sticking it into the correct material in the shader tree.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    thanks kawe :) I edited the above post, you'll see I imported my objects- I suspect thats where the problem has arisen. I'm guessing modo names all its sets 'texture' by default

cheers