Home Technical Talk

Max 2012 Unwrap Defaults

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Piflik polycounter lvl 12
Has anyone found a way to set default settings in the various unwrapping tools like in earlier versions...I am currently toying around with the trial and the inability to set the Relax Tool to use 'by Face Angles' as Default Setting is more or less a deal breaker for me...

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong, as everyone falls into this trap...

IF you only click the "set as default" button in the dialog box that only effects the tool for that session. You need to go into Options > Save Current Settings as Default, for it to stick from session to session.

It's been crazy like that for as long as I can remember... It's really not your fault max is schizophrenic...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That button is what I am missing...it is absent ;)

I wondered if there was a different option to change the defaults...maybe some ini file or anything really...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you might be looking in the wrong spot, its not a button in the pop-up dialog but in the options menu.

UnwrapOptionsDefaults.jpg

UV Editor Main menu > Options > Save Current Settings as Default.

This will save ALL settings as the default . If this fails to work you probably don't have admin permissions on that machine. If its missing... well that's one seriously messed up copy of max...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You misunderstood me...I know how to save default settings, but the 'set as default' button is missing in the Relax Dialog...or any dialog for that matter (stitch etc.)

http://download.autodesk.com/us/3dsmax/2012help/images/GUID-AA932D5B-90C1-4CBC-880C-EB2861CBB0F5-low.png (image from the Autodesk online help)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they took the buttons out because they were confusing? The save defaults in the options menu should save the defaults for each menu the way you want, but I just tested it out and my defaults are set how I like but they can't be changed, which is weird because my defaults are not standard, which means they carried over somehow from an older version or loaded when I loaded some scripts or my custom UI that was saved from older versions...

So they can be set some way... I just don't think how they "intended" is working. I filed a bug report, you should do the same if you can. The more of these they get the more likely they are to fix it.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=5600504&linkID=9241177

I guess sit tight and wait for Service Pack1 as per usual when they release...
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadly ADesk wants a Serial with a Bug Report, so I can't really file one with the trial...

I thought there must be some file where the defaults are saved, I'll see if I can find one...

Edit: Found it...

(XP): //Local Settings/Application Data/Autodesk/3dsMax/2012 - 32 Bit/enu/plugcfg/unwrapuvw.ini

1. change 'RelaxType' to 0
    2. Save
    3. restart Max
    4. ???
    5. Profit
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha awesome! Nice find!

As for the bug report you can enter 000 0000000 into the serial number its what the trial version is set to use until you activate it. Honestly I think you can type any garbage in there and it would accept it, I don't think it checks it.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll do that...hopefully they will address this...2012 kinda feels like beta anyways...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea actually, the beta for me was more stable. The Nitrous viewport was rock solid and normal maps stop displaying randomly in the release version, only way to get them back is to switch from realistic to shaded mode, then the lighting disappears but the normal maps display... dodgy very dodgy... Never did that in beta.