Home Technical Talk

objects exported from max have pivots centered to grid?

mixeh
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mixeh polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

I recently formatted my PC and reinstalled 3ds max, now the problem I have, is ANY obj or .ase I export, whenever I reimport it, its pivot is RESET to (0,0,0), not to the center of the object, or wherever I have the pivot of the object set.

I reset xforms and don't know what else to try.

Need help pretty urgently as I have a project needing to be completed.

Thanks everyone.

Replies

• mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Just did a full reformat, only installed display drivers and 3ds max. It's still exporting everything with the pivot at the origin. I even tried 3ds max 2010 as well as 2011, I can't believe this is happening :/

http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-666567.html At least there's someone else out there that has had the problem as well.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    There should be settings for import/export for both those formats. Try looking into that. There's usually some sort of option box.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Wow it's even doing it in an old copy of maya, something's globally screwed with my pc.

I've checked settings and there is nothing for pivot points, I've done this a million times, I don't know if there's something hardware related thats faulty, no idea!
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Okay so .fbx format works, so I can use that for UDK for the moment.

I still don't like how dodgy it is that .ase and .obj files always export/import with pivot points at the origin.

There really no suggestions?
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Stradigos wrote: »
    There should be settings for import/export for both those formats. Try looking into that. There's usually some sort of option box.

THIS.

I know for a FACT there's an option in 3DS Max for this and OBJ.

In 2010, it's on the right hand side near the top, a check box marked "Center Pivot".

Rather than ignoring suggestions and demanding it be shown, please actually TRY to follow the advice first?
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Yes, that centers the pivot of an obj on import. That doesn't fix the problem if when I export with a pivot other than center, eg at the base of a mesh so its easy to position in unreal.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBJ_Import.jpg

As for .ase files, there isn't an import module for max so I don't know how your managing to reimport .ase files... Unless you're talking about importing it into something like UDK? Which it would be helpful to mention that up front because the problem might not be a setting in max but in UDK...
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    It has always been part of my workflow to have my pivots at 0,0,0 before exporting ANYTHING. Both at home on personal projects, AND at work.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Okay thanks guys. Looks like there's no real solution but to just work around it like dustinbrown suggested. I agree Prophecies that generally most things I export have their pivots at (0,0,0) anyway it's just a shame it's not working how it should.

Oh and for .ase files Mark I am referring to when I import into UDK. But it's weird, exporting AND importing in Max, the pivot is set at the origin, ie old objs im importing where I had the pivot somewhere else, are being imported to (0,0,0)