Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Travis's Art Dump

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
iamtravis316 polycounter lvl 11
I think I'm going to start posting up some of my work as I get it finished.
I'm currently a student at the Guildhall @ SMU in Plano, TX. The majority of my work will be personal and school projects but I will post some of my freelance work as it comes, and when NDA's allow.

and here it is :)

This is a High Poly GDI Hunter Tank. The concept is from C&C4 (not my concept)
Tank_pFront.jpg
Tank_pBack.jpg
Tank_orthoviews.jpg

This is my low poly progress so far:
There is just a base diffuse on there right now.
Tri's = 15,690

tank1f.jpg

This is a modular window/wall piece I made over break:

windowP.jpg
wall_clayWire.jpg
wall_textures.jpg
wall_HP.jpg

This was for our High Poly assignment, and I will be taking it down to under 1500 tri's

boombox_perspectiveFront-965x1024.jpg
boombox_perspectiveBack-965x1024.jpg
boombox_orthoviews-965x1024.jpg

Replies

• iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a car I made for RockBand 3, I was contracted by Liquid Development.

12.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.jpg

This was a school project. We were tasked with creating a low poly vehicle. (we had to use bump maps on it :( so there is no normals on this model, just bump)

shelbyGT_perspective.jpg
    shelbyGT_clay.jpg
    shelbyGT_wireframe.jpg

And here is my newest piece. This is another school project. We were given an unwraped head and told to texture it in Mudbox without using Photoshop or outside textures/stencils/stamps. This is also my first real time painting a full model with out outside software in Mudbox.

girl1c.jpg

More to come soon!!
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Digging your work man! Some nice clean pieces! But maybe too clean. Feels like your highpolys and your textures overall could use more details. ;)

Keep it up!
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Travis. I talked to you on the Gearbox forums as well briefly, same username as here. I have been keeping in touch with David Cherry as well, will probably be attending starting Spring 2012. Perhaps you will still be there then?
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jeremiah_bigley: Thanks. I see what you mean on most of the stuff. Although I intended for most of the stuff to be clean texture wise (except the tank its just base colors and ao, and I will dirty it up more). But I will defiantly keep that in mind on the projects I'm working on now. Thanks for the crit

@Perfectblue: I think I will still be there, I'm not sure its hard to keep up with the days I've been here and days I have left haha. Prof. Cherry is a great guy, and good luck getting in. Maybe Ill see you in 2012 :).
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work for a student man.

The tank's texture is kinda bare and seems too reflective (my shader btw?)
    The stationwagon looks good, but where the hell are the rearlights, lol ? Also the wires from the rear arch to the backside are a bit wonky. Your wires on the Shelby are actually better.
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul: Thanks, haha yes its your shader. I would also like to thank you for making it public, I really appreciate it as I'm sure everyone else does. Yes that station wagons back wheel well is a little wonky, at the time I modeled it (about 1-2 years ago) I was still new to vehicle modeling, and now I understand the topology flow much better. as you noticed on that Shelby I did about 3 months ago. O and the rear light on the station wagon are on the bottom rear fender.

Thanks for checking out my stuff, and thank you very much for making the shader, I love it.
    I will keep working on the tank, the LP version is still early work in progress, the textures are just a base diffuse with no real detail in them. I probably wont have time to work on it till our next break. When I get more progress done on it I will post it up for some crits.

-Travis
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is another wip shot of a new assignment at school. This is a texturing assignment.

I modeled the high poly and projected the normals/AO on a plane
    Tri count = 2
    Software = 3DS Max 2011
    Viewing = Xoliul viewport shader 1.6

Now time to texture!

Sci-Fi Floor Tile Low Poly:
    wip1.jpg
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some more progress on the stuff I'm doing......

This is a project for school I'm getting started on (so I have enough time to finish next mod). I plan to make the high poly / low poly/ and texture it.

This is just the left side of the building, I will finish it off then start on the middle section. (which I had part of, but the file corrupted and I lost 7.5 hrs of work:(

Concept from John Wallin

wip6-2.jpgwip6-3.jpg
    wip6-4.jpg

And this is an update on my texturing assignment. I finalized my brick texture and finished the sci fi floor tile texture and metal texture.

Screen Grabs from 3DS Max using Xoliul's viewport shader 1.6

brickcomp2.jpg

metalcomp.jpg

sciFi_FloorTile_COMP.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    thats some really great stuff u got there
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    The HP hpuse looks great.. What i don't understand is that you put up an pretty bad, sry, replica of racer445's texture tutorial?
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    The HP hpuse looks great.. What i don't understand is that you put up an pretty bad, sry, replica of racer445's texture tutorial?

I assume you mean this one http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

whilst it's pretty clear that it is probably much to close to that and looks as if most of the ideas where taken from that I don't think you would have made the connection without the orange. It isn't a replica though it is a little close for comfort.
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Oniram: thanks

@sltrOlsson: Thanks, and for the texture, I originally started out with a different design with a lot of influence from some designsfrom Paul Richards, when I was close to being done my teacher told me some center parts in the design did not make since (see the lp with norm in one of the older post), then i found racers tutorial (after I already made everything except the center fix's) and made the inner circle similer to that. The only reason I used orange was because I like orange and that was on my original design anyways. But it was in no way intended to be a replica of racers material.
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is another project I finished up a week or so ago.

tri's = 1,496
    Textures = 1024x1024

comp.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    @ Oniram: thanks

@sltrOlsson: Thanks, and for the texture, I originally started out with a different design with a lot of influence from some designsfrom Paul Richards, when I was close to being done my teacher told me some center parts in the design did not make since (see the lp with norm in one of the older post), then i found racers tutorial (after I already made everything except the center fix's) and made the inner circle similer to that. The only reason I used orange was because I like orange and that was on my original design anyways. But it was in no way intended to be a replica of racers material.

Hm, ok. Well, i guess that's to bad then. Some one (everyone) that've seen racers tutorial will think "hu, that guy just ripped hes texture off/followed that tutorial". Which ofc is very bad.

Didn't mean to offend you, i just stung me eyes :) He seams to have skill and i'm sure you can replace it with something better..
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's cool. now every time I see it I think of that tutorial lol. That is one piece that's going in the trash :) (for now till I get a chance to work more on it and by work more on it I mean re due it lol:))
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update on the GOW building:

wip9-1.jpg