Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Fatal Fury, DUCK KING, JMYoung

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
Here's my idea for Duck King. I imagine him as a walking dance party with flashing lights and such. Will probably throw a graphic eq and sub on his back. If it's not clear in my drawing, his t-shirt is a force field/holographic(with jersey mesh pattern), so it will move and bend with his arms as opposed to being static armor.
Duckkingrbff.gif

Latest:
dk_stillgoing.jpg

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *meh* crap drawing removed.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    I think more of that sword's blade needs to have more metal parts just to give it the weight Kliff's has. Also his facial hair needs to be longer. Even the eyebrows.

Good luck. Looking forward to more updates.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messing around with an idea? Futuristic Duck King. I like the idea of holographic/forcefield clothing.

duckking_wip.jpg
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added to the first post. Noodled around a bit more, changed up some shapes, added some details, and tweaked some colors.

Hopefully someone will comment and let me know if I'm heading in a crazy direction or not. :)
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Looking pretty cool so far. Not a big fan of the clearer parts, but that doesn't mean anything. I like the armor, the shades, hair, pants, shoes... I like almost everything about it. I say move forward it. Please? :D
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jeremy!

Are you talking about the "t-shirt" part when you mention not liking the clearer parts? Or the clear parts on his gauntlets?
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Hell yes, Duck King!
    Concept looks good to me for the most part, but I don't quite agree with the high waistline of the pants. I also think he looks a tad sombre and serious for Duck King, but I trust you'll be able to take care of that later on in the process. :)
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jig! I'll take a look at moving the waistline down. I did try it during the initial concept and didn't like the amount of yellow showing. It also pushes the pockets down which conflict with the kneepad area, so I'll have to see if I can resolve it. I also do plan on making him less serious looking, which this paintover will hopefully show.

Here's a blockout and paintover of a rough head sculpt. Still got to noodle a bit with proportions and shapes on the blockout. Open to crits!

dk_paintover.jpg
    dk_blockout.jpg
  • Remmers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remmers polycounter lvl 7
    nice m8, clean base mesh good concept!
    Keep it up :)
  • AKAperly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great idea; concept looks nice.

where is his little yellow chick? you should do a plush key chain or something.
  • uk_resistant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uk_resistant polycounter lvl 17
    Like the idea about the forcefield tshirt parts.
    I think in the final model, if you get some kinda of movement in the forcefield then it might read better - like a noise or wave perhaps.
    Those parts will really be great for extra lighting on your colour.

Good luck with this
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I was mainly talking about the high rise of the armor, and the clear bit around the tummy. It kinda reminds me of the cutoff shirts guys wore in the early 80's, and I've never thought those looked good. But I don't think it really matters, cause that model is rockin. Keep going, you got a good thing here.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AKAperly - Right now I've got the chick as an emblem on his belt buckle. I was considering having it be a deployable mechanical chick that emits flashing light to fit with his dance theme. He's got plenty of speakers, the chick would add more lights. :)

uk_resistant - Agreed. I've got a lot of ideas on how I'd like to animate all the glowing bits, but we'll see if I get around to that. I typically use marmoset to present things, so I'd probably have to switch over to UDK to do nice animated textures effects. Regardless, I'll be taking a look at other games and movies and how they illustrate forcefields to get a better look. I kind of cobbled the concept together. :)

Jeremy - I see what you're saying about the shirt. :) I think those shirts look lame as well, but considering I've got a bit of cheese in there with the pink lights and flashy bits, I feel like I'm ok with it.

Here's a rough blockout of the back to nail down shapes and angles:
    back_paintover.jpg
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mohawk is underwhelming. Loved this character when I was younger. Wonder if he's a SNK ripoff of the guy from Final Fight.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, got to go for some crazy hair, it would be a good challenge and awesome work.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw guys, I'm going to make him bald so I don't have to deal with hair.

I'll take a look at making it larger. :)
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Man this is looking really cool. I prefer the the shorter Mohawk. I think it suites him so much more. Great work.
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, more KOF. Gonna keep my eye on this one! :D
    Cool looking concept there.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! :) Duncan, glad you chimed in on the mohawk. I haven't really tweaked the size much, but did droop it a bit. I like how the shape counterbalances his triangular armor profile.

Not too much to add, just refining shapes and lines on his vest piece. I'm somewhat tempted to remove the shoulder pieces that stick out, but I like the added visual weight and that they kind of match the mohawk. Also, I like that they add more lights. :)

Will hopefully finish up most of the hard surface bits and get started on sculpting this week.

dk_wip02.jpg
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Dig the droop shape in the hair, but I'd personally like to see it a bit crazier/bigger :D

Sweet work mate, I really like the clean torso design, nice chunky shapes
  • Karl Stjernberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karl Stjernberg polycounter lvl 10
    I agree! If there's one thing that should be left like what's in the original it's the height of the hair.
  • JBellio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lookin good baby! diggin the sci-fi angle, and i really like the little details that you have in your concept already. the close cut, shaped beard, and the little transparent sleeves are both really nice touches. you're got some great new stuff in there, but he is still very recognizable. i agree with the other folks though, the hair kinda defines him, straying from that risks losing that recognizable factor. woo! can't wait to see the final version!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sick man. I am wondering what is going on with his top?. I dig the shape but the opacity makes it look a little funny. I am sure you have a good idea coming but at the moment it looks a bit like a spa suit.

2357829454_af105e4472.jpg

which is a little weird but I am sure you can make it work. I look forward to more.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duncan, that simpsons pic is exactly what I'm going for. ;) In my head, the metal rings that separate the yellow pieces will have small forcefield emitters on them, and I figured it could look like the energy was emanating from them. I want to have some sort of overall movement as well that looks kind of wavy/static-y. I'm going to have to spend a decent amount of time figuring out what I want the forcefield and light strips to look like. I dunno, it could end up looking pretty stupid. Heh.

Will probably do a paintover once I get the high poly done to get a better idea of what it should look like. If you guys have some cool reference pics, send 'em my way! :)

As for the mohawk, I'll take a look at the size. I promise. :) Maybe I should setup a poll to see what people want.
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am sure you can make it rock man.
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Hey man this looks awesome keep it up
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Love it JM.....Dare I say black eyed peas mixed with the costume design of the fifth element ( goutier?) thats not as bad as it might sound I love the style that you have.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. wrote: »
    Love it JM.....Dare I say black eyed peas mixed with the costume design of the fifth element ( goutier?) thats not as bad as it might sound I love the style that you have.

That's totally awesome, doesn't sound bad to me. :) I actually wasn't referencing fifth element, but I love that movie and can see the similarities. I'll have to take another look and see if I can work any of that in to my final.

I got busy with life stuff, applying for jobs, art tests, etc. I'm back to work on it now, and I think I'll probably move onto sculpting out his head/body and pants just to move myself forward. I don't want to get bogged down in hard surface stuff too much. I decided his feet needed some yellow to balance out the rest, so I added shoelaces in a similar manner to his wrist pieces/watch. I imagine them as holograms inside glass pieces, so I'd like to get sort of a 3d effect to them.

dk_stillgoing.jpg

I've played around with making his hair significantly larger and really didn't like the results. :( I do appreciate all the comments and suggestions, though, so please keep them coming.
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    The base mesh is looking really good. I think its time for some detailing! I think the hair is fine the way it is.