Home Technical Talk

Zbrush 4.0 Sculpting Help

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

So am working on this guy and I am wondering if anyone has a good methods for adding those curves he has on his head. The method I am using atm is drawing them with the mask brush and then going to the Deformations tab and using - on the deflate slider. I am sure there is a better way.
detailp.jpg

aomap.jpg

Or I could just clean up the Maps in photoshop with nDo but would rather have a clean high-poly to bake from.

Any ideas feel free to chime in!

Cheers guys :)

Replies

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    How about using damian standard brush? It is under lightbox/brushes
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Disanski,

I checked out that brush and it works really well the problem being is those curves warp round the whole head so I have hat to do them in stages front then turn the model round then do that back which even with lazy mouse still isn't ideal.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Why not use your mask method but instead of deflate use the layer brush on the inverted mask?
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    If you want something super clean, mask out areas you want the line to be, make a polygroup with the mask, add groupsloops under geometry, select one of the loops and add a deformation like inflate to it. As long as you geo is nice and even youll get even lines. Other than that, Id use the layer brush or the damstandard.
    loopyloops.jpg
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey SpeCter

That is roughly what I am trying was just wondering if there is a faster more accurate way doing these thing. I wish Zbrush had a Pen Tool Function so I could place the points of the curves onto the mesh :)
  • ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    I was thinking about that idea not too long ago myself, being able to snap a curve along the surface that you could then have control various functions with. I imagine thatll be something we will see someday...
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the example Enodmi. I am sure it will come in handy. I tried it on the head and it didnt come out as clean as your example. I hope that day come soon :P Mite send pixologic a email :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Masking is your best bet if you want accuracy. And Group loops will give you the cleanest geo. As ENODMI has shown.

other than that. maybe lazymouse and a ZSub layer brush if you want to freehand it.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yip! I just stuck with masking but I used polygroups to help guide me. What I did was quickly mask out the detail conver mask to polygroup. Then view the model in wireframe to see the polygroups which allowed me to use it as a guide to get clean marks with a new mask. Which I inverted then - on the inflate slider and smooth out zaggies :)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Sometime you just got to do things by hand :poly127:

zbrushdocument.jpg

p.s any crits or comments on my model?
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    The teeth look pretty flat (I understand how one could have misinterpreted that from the reference photo), and the upper lip needs harder edges. Other than that, I really like it! Cute, too. :P