Home General Discussion

Dragon Age 2 Demo: First impressions?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. Has anyone played the Dragon Age 2 demo? If yes, let me know what you think.

Here's the link, just in case:

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/

IMO: The Story and Staging of Dragon Age 2 has lost a lot of epicness and is more of an action adventure stage and story going on there. It has many elements, used in the movie 300: The style, the slow motion scenes etc.
The Dialog system is awesome, i liked that.
In general i liked the game, but one thing annoyed me more than anything:
The Gameplay speed.
I played as a mage and it was really fast. I mean at the beginning I thought it was some kind of processor bug or something until i realized it was meant to be played in that speed. :) That really annoyed me. The special style (colour palette etc) of the game is more or less a matter of taste i guess, i personally don't like it that much. I guess the speed part is because they wanted to make the game more attractive to console players, not that i would really know, i am just guessing here. I somehow wanted a setting similar to Dragon age 1.

I don't really know what to think of the game.. What are your thoughts?

Cheers,

Alex

Replies

• daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    the first time I ran the demo it froze up when I chose my class, and I had to reboot. the second time I tried, I played for a few minutes then it froze up again, this time after that ogre fight. so I ended the process. I havent played it a 3rd time.

I thought it was fun though. graphics seem kinda odd compared to the first one. Maybe not worse, but different. The thing that bothered me the most though was it seems to be suffering from "corridor syndrome" they put you in a huge landscape, with mountains in the distance and such. but you're limited to a set corridor with invisible walls keeping you in. I hope the other areas wont be that restrictive, I love me some exploring. especially in RPGs.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think it opens up further on, and I'm happy that some of the faces have improved, it's a much cleaner artstyle than the last.
    I miss the backstabbing area of the first game where positioning was important.

It does sort of feel like the mass effect-> mass effect2 transition, where stuff has been streamlined, but what's left feels really fast and solid.

I wonder how it plays on higher difficulties, since the demo was locked at normal.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    daphz: i see what you mean, i had problems as well. I had to change the video settings a couple of times until, weirdly, it played on max settings (the demo max settings) fine. Also, i noticed the corridor syndrome as well, that was not that much of a good solution, i think.

Eld: Yes i agree. But didn't you think it was too fast, or am i the only one? :D
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    I enjoyed the faster pace of the combat, its definitely more action oriented than the first one. I'm all for the better action as long as they keep it an RPG first and give me all my costumization and item finding. I did have an issue with a 1 second loading between all the dialogue and camera shifts, which was really annoying. I hope they'll fix this for the release. Sill I have high hopes for this game and am excited for its release. :D
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Is the game play more like ME2 now or is it still very similar too Dragon Age 1?

If it is more like ME2 then I will defiantly pick this up. But if in the end it is too much like Dragon Age 1 I will pass. Also hope the game isnt a crazy 60+ hours to beat it. 30 on ME2 was perfect for a long game without dragging on. Games that are too long suffer the fact that most people will never see the end except for the hardcore and that is a shame.

Hopefully all the data they gathered from ME2 helps them make ME3 and Dragon Age 2 better.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Autocon wrote: »
    Games that are too long suffer the fact that most people will never see the end except for the hardcore and that is a shame.

I don't get this mentality at all. But I'm really curious~
    What's the difference between playing a really good game for 60 hours and 2 really good games for 30 hours each? How does the long one deteriorate after 30 hours?
    I guess its understandable if the next 30 hours was just pure grind or some crap, but we aren't talking about specific games here, we are generalizing that all long games suffer in general for being too long.

Personally I love games that can keep me playing for 60 hours or more. It feels like great value for money and would only give me more reason to buy it.

I always considered "hardcore" gamers to be people who spend a considerable amount of time gaming each week (20 hours+ average per week)
    There is no rule that says you must complete the 60 hour games within a couple of weeks so I don't see how being "hardcore" or not has anything to do with it.

Maybe it's a fear that you won't complete the game before the "next big thing" comes out, and you don't want to miss out on that "next big thing" when everyone else is playing it? Or maybe its just some kind of weird mentality where 30 hours of anything makes you sick of it and never want to touch it ever again.
    Or maybe I'll just let you describe what it is instead of speculating :p
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's dragon age with the critical back attack areas removed, much faster and way more direct(in a good way)

And as seen in the introduction, battling underpowered monsters is very much hack and slash, but I felt that the harder battles still retains a bit of the dragon age feel.

Inventory seems intact though, even though it was locked out in the demo.

It's like, even though its sad that the combat was tuned down, the things they made it into are fun to play with in their own way, so it balances out in a way.

It should probably play way better for console players though versus the first one.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    MiAlx wrote: »

Eld: Yes i agree. But didn't you think it was too fast, or am i the only one? :D

Hit the space bar.

I quite liked it myself very fluid. being able to dodge back from the ogre was great. Also I was glad to see that you could customise the character.

Am I going mad or was the dwalves memory of hawks sister somewhat blown out of proportion? :poly136:

eld apart from the lack of backstab areas how did you find the combat tuned down, i just found it faster. which i liked.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Am I going mad or was the dwalves memory of hawks sister somewhat blown out of proportion? :poly136:

Nope, noticed the same :)
    Personally thought DA2 was fun. Looking forward to the release. Liking the new combat. Hate that I can't be a dwarf anymore :(
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Yozora wrote: »
    What's the difference between playing a really good game for 60 hours and 2 really good games for 30 hours each? How does the long one deteriorate after 30 hours?
    I guess its understandable if the next 30 hours was just pure grind or some crap, but we aren't talking about specific games here, we are generalizing that all long games suffer in general for being too long.

Personally I love games that can keep me playing for 60 hours or more.

Personally if I read a review of a good game and it says "rather challenging" or "60 hours of play" this puts me off. You could say Im an intermediate gamer, I dont like casual games because they are thin and have no story most of the time, I dont like uber hardcore games because they are too laborious for someone like me who only has a quick 30 mins every few days to play some games. I want fun play mechanics with an intriguing story, I dont care about difficulty, I used to think it matters a lot but now Im not really bothered setting my games to ultra super wimp mode.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like they've paired down the inventory :D, I used to get so sick of sifting through all the crap to find the best weapons and armour.

Ged: the think about Mass Effect and dragon age is you could finish them in about 20-30 hours. Its kind of up to you how deep you get.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Dragon Age felt disorganized to me, even on the PC. Playing it on my xbox the first time was a nightmare. I don't know. I enjoyed it, eventually, but I felt as though there were a few things that kind of formed obstacles for me.
    The game-play, i felt, was slow. I always felt as though I was stuck in the middle of an animation or something. I don't know. It was strange.
    So far, Dragon Age 2 feels more..fun.
    The speed seems to improve on it, because after a while, fights became a chore. Even easy ones. Mage here. Fire there. Archer shoot.
    Etc.
    I dunno.
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks pretty good, :) i like the look, we'll see how it plays when it's released!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Yozora wrote: »

Its not exactly oh this is a 60 hour game its bad. Not at all, its just most gamers are not going to put in that amount of time to one game. Not even put in 30 hours. So it becomes disappointing when you dont get to see how things wrap up if you get invested in the story.

With a ton of amazing games out its either playing 2 different but great 30 hour experiences or 1 great 60 hour experience. And even then most games are around the 10 to 15hours mark. So with that in mind you could play 4 to 6 games in the time it takes most to finish Dragon Age or any equivalent game of that length.

Im not saying I dont like long games either. I put over 100hours in both pokemon and FFX and the number of days, DAYS I have spent playing WoW is sickening.

Oh and just as a point of reference. Mass Effect 2 which has more broad appeal then Dragon Age, is only about 30ish hours for a play through was only completed by roughly half of the people who started it. So if only half of the people who start your game see the ending thats kinda lame.

crazy-mass-effect-2-stats-and-what-theyre-used-for-20100903105831289_640w.jpg
  • Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Im not saying I dont like long games either. I put over 100hours in both pokemon and FFX and the number of days, DAYS I have spent playing WoW is sickening.

amen on the pokemon!
    pokemon sucked up a lot of my free time too... shamefully speaking.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I'd give it a chance. The new art style has grown on me. High settings seemed to obliterate my framerate, so I had it at Medium, but the art looks good. Very clean, very unified.

It's an interesting style - I noticed that when it shadow or gloom, characters had little to no lighting or shading on them at all, being just the diffuse. On account of that, everything in the diffuse is painted and shaded. Kind of interesting compromise.

screenshot2011022321261.jpg
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Gah, so incredibly disappointed with this demo. It wasn't even on my radar till the demo released, and as it was downloading I got all excited. I kept expecting all the best parts of Dragon Age with a new combat system and a new story. Instead I got something just as awkward to play, with characters just as bland, and conversation choices just as pointless.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the first Dragon Age a little, so I'll be playing this one too... But overall, this just feels like a huge let down. There was so much potential for such an awesome game. bummer.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    30 hours for the main storyline sounds about right for an rpg game, another 30 for sidequests? Gold :)

That way both casual/hardcore whatever gamers get to enjoy the game.

Kinda gets tricky when the best parts of the game are the sidequests, eg. Oblivion :)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Im a console gamer, hisssssss boo, bought the first game a few months back due to all the hype and just couldnt get into it. didnt like the visuals at all, didnt like the combat, story felt a bit meh. I think I just picked it up too late and mass effect 2 has raised the bar too much for rpgs for me.

Played the demo last night on PS3 and got really worried when it starts with the close up of a lantern made out of a box primitive almost with super low res textures :s but I really liked the game and that lantern was the only major visual issue for me, combats much better for me, no sitting there with your guy in attack mode while you fall asleep, youre actually controlling the strikes now, only issue was the enemies massive health bars later on that take a dragon age to knock down (see what I did there) and mindless mashing of the attack button once you lose all the awesome power ups, also found enemies just freeze on the spot now and then, and youre just mashing him for a good minute.

Character models I really liked although the main dude looks like Daniel Faraday from 'lost' lol, I like that hes stylised slightly aswell, character design is really nice so far, didnt like the gypsy/pirate chick though (seems out of place and cliche almost) but loved the witch/dragon woman and theres a few seams popping around a few of the characters aswell, like his mothers chest :s Environments are really nice although very linear but alot of eye candy goin on for a demo.

I honestly didnt think I would get this due to me not getting on with the first game but yea I will definetly get it now. the reviews said console gamers got a shit version anyways of the first game, might have another go :)
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    I played it last night after work and i must say I LOVE IT. I definately think that is a huge improvement from DA:O etc. I enjoy the more action-oriented style, but being able to think strategically at the same time. However I'm saying this from a consumer point of view, not a designer pov.

Sadly when i pre ordered the bioware edition i did for the 360 and was unaware of future me purchasing a beautiful desktop to run game likes DA2 beautifully on full highest graphics. :(
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I played the game on the 360 and the PC. I liked playing the game on the console because it felt like an action RPG. I had a similar feel while playing on the console but I used the pause button way more often on the PC than the console. Of course, the PC had better graphics and the 360 version looked watered down. The game still feels like the first game but the animations make it look like an action RPG. Your still clicking the mouse button or pressing the "A" button for attack. I'm slowly liking the new dialog system and the voice for Hawke. I really can't say much for the story because it just zipped through it and will probably be more expansive once you get past the first few hours. I also thinks it's too early to make any judgments on the cast of characters. This demo was very limited and your party members only had like a few lines of dialog. I'm a Dragon Age fan so I'll be getting the game and I can't wait to get my hands on this.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    All I'm going to say is I'll be playing Dragon Age 2 with a controller this time around :P

Love the new character look!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I love the storytelling. Interviewing the dwarf to jump around story plot points is a great idea that Assasin's Creed used to great effect (and skips the drudgery of traveling/camping/etc)

I like the cleaner art style and the default Hawke looks much improved. Armor looks much better and the blood seems to be toned down as well.

Combat was awesome! The new speed is great and more importantly the characters respond much more immediately. In DA1 the characters moved around a bit on their own so it felt more like issuing commands to an RTS unit. DA2 it feels like I'm actually controlling the character which opens up some very deep gameplay.

The rogue for example has a quick retreat ability where they dash backwards so when the Ogre winds up his big attack if you are quick you can dodge it. This is so much more fun then just increasing a dodge stat that randomly dodges an attack.

Overall I love the changes and I'm very excited for the game. I do wish they had a Mac demo so I could see if I should pick it up for Mac or PC, but I think the boxed version comes with both clients so I might not have to worry about it.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did anyone look at the rendering options. The very high setting has DX11 Tessellation.

Anyone able to run it maxed?
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Did anyone look at the rendering options. The very high setting has DX11 Tessellation.

Anyone able to run it maxed?

Really? when I played it I didn't see that option and I have a Nvidia GTX 470.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about tessellation but Isabela already looked mighty smooth, if you know what I mean.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Acc: I hadn't noticed :poly136: TBH they look pretty bad though, we just dont have the tech to do em right yet... Boi oi oi oing!! get some dynamics going or just make em regular.

kaze: switch renderer to DX 11 and mouse over the high setting. each setting level has a tool tip
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    I find is disappointing that there is no method of toggling targets. I felt rather restricted in the fact that I couldn't just hit a "target closest enemy" key or cycle enemies when in the heat of the battle. I think it forces you to pause the action far too often.

I also didn't like that tactics didn't allow for self healing with items. Also, Carver won't use healing items. I love the new combat animations though. The battle seems much more fast paced over DAO.
  • frostymoose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frostymoose polycounter lvl 17
    Is the game play more like ME2 now or is it still very similar too Dragon Age 1?

If it is more like ME2 then I will defiantly pick this up. But if in the end it is too much like Dragon Age 1 I will pass. Also hope the game isnt a crazy 60+ hours to beat it. 30 on ME2 was perfect for a long game without dragging on. Games that are too long suffer the fact that most people will never see the end except for the hardcore and that is a shame.

Hopefully all the data they gathered from ME2 helps them make ME3 and Dragon Age 2 better.

I'm glad not everyone has the same views, or there would be no variation in games. I'm very disappointed that they do seem to be going in this direction. Mass effect is a different series but they seem to be trying to make them more and more similar and that's a real downer. Mass effect is a great series, but I don't want Dragon age to be the same thing in a fantasy setting; that's just redundant and frankly, boring.

Dragon Age 1 felt like a modern revival of the huge PC fantasy RPGs like baldurs gate etc. to me. It took my 80 hours to finish and I enjoyed just about every moment of it. If Dragon age 2 doesn't take me as long, I'll be a bit disappointed. The demo was good, but I have still have some doubts. We'll see...
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how Isabella is the only darked skinned person in the game so far.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    frostymoose >> I think you should read this article:
    "You don't need to go to the tactics screen first, you don't need to pick how much dex you have first. It's part of the organic learning process...

"So I think what that'll do is help us and help players keep engaged a little smoother without us having to say, 'Oh well, let's get rid of stats!'" Laidlaw continues. "We didn't want to do that; we wanted to present them in a better way."
    Making a demo for a 60+ hour game is insane. You can't do it well; it's flat-out impossible. From the sounds of things as soon as that demo portion is over it goes back to the sort of Dragon Age experience you expect. Maybe I'm wrong, but everything I've read suggests that is the case.

r_fletch_r >> TBH I think they've gone way overboard with the T&A. Mass Effect 2 was pushing it with the Samara's ridiculous outfit (at least Miranda had good reasons for her appearance) but DAII is going nuts with it. I'm sure the characters will still be written well but it's hard to take them seriously with the enormous breasts and silly outfits.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea thats what put me off slightly. Everything else is done pretty tasteful and sophisticated, then mrs massive jugs turns up with a generic face and dodgey outfit. She really annoyed me and seemed so out of place just so they could get some boobs in. Did they have bras in that time? or plastic surgeons? DA now stands for dead or alive lol.

Im willing to ignore her though haha as the rest was really good.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    yea thats what put me off slightly.

That she's black? (dark skinned complexion)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc wrote: »
    r_fletch_r >> TBH I think they've gone way overboard with the T&A. Mass Effect 2 was pushing it with the Samara's ridiculous outfit (at least Miranda had good reasons for her appearance) but DAII is going nuts with it. I'm sure the characters will still be written well but it's hard to take them seriously with the enormous breasts and silly outfits.

I think they were pushing it with Miranda, The bred to be sexy thing was all well and good but her costume and the constant lingering ass shots ruined her for me. Atleast they finally address this in the latest DLC.
    http://www.ieldra.eu/masseffect2/Miranda177.jpg
    I hope they treat her with a bit more respect in 3.

kaze369 wrote: »
    Given the rest of his post im thinking he was talking about the fact shes got stupidly big boobs and a silly outfit.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm lovin it, and female Hawke...yum...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    She really does not look black to me. Hispanic, maybe? Puerto Rican?

Klumpmeister >> Agreed
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She really does not look black to me. Hispanic, maybe? Puerto Rican?

Klumpmeister >> Agreed

I'm not trying to be racial or anything. I just think it's funny that she's like the only dark skinned person in the game(so far). I don't think her breast size is that bad and it is possible to have a natural above average breast size. just sayin.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    I love how people trip over themselves with racial representation in a fictional fantasy universe. Also how non-white is referred to as black.

DA had characters of skintones other than white.
    I'm sure you can custom make Hawke non-white in the full game too.
    I'm sure this game isn't a covert racist white people only club.

... Crazyfool's post was clearly a response to acc's post previous.

I'm not having a go, but to say you're not being racially minded in such a post when that is indeed the sole subject of said post... Auch.

Greevar - for the PC version 'r' by default is 'action nearest target', if it's a corpse you go loot, if it's a live enemy you attack.

Personally I love the game thus far, having played the demo on 360 and PC.
    The visual style gets a thumbs up from me, they managed to make it cleaner without hitting the "stylised/cartoony" barrier.

I'm most interested in how the story pans out in this with regards to the later DA DLC. Really digging the Flemeth re-design.

To say this is like ME -> ME2 is poppycock in my opinion.
    It genuinely feels to me like they kept the best of DA and cut away the fat, making it more streamlined and responsive and not a dumbing down.
    Backstabbing still counts for rogues and your enemies if you don't have the ability to negate the effect.
    There's still friendly fire on harder difficulties and I found myself cycling through characters and dishing out the abilities/tactics as much as the last game.

I'm looking forward to this with the one hope that it lasts as long as DA did and that this game isn't just about gathering a party for 4/5's of the game for one small showdown at the end like ME2 was.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

haha no, its the boobies, they are massive :) I know you can get naturals but just seemed out of place to me, she got pornstar boobies!!! another video game cliche
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how people trip over themselves with racial representation in a fictional fantasy universe. Also how non-white is referred to as black.

DA had characters of skintones other than white.
    I'm sure you can custom make Hawke non-white in the full game too.
    Don't worry, I'm sure this game isn't a covert racist white people only club.

... Crazyfool's post was clearly a response to acc's post previous.

why do you assume I think the game was trying being racist? But let's not get a head of ourselves and that just because you can make Hawke or Shepard non-white, that automatically makes the game diverse.

Extra Credits: Diversity
    Extra Credits: Sexual Diversity

And I'll end it right there because I'd rather discuss that issue in another thread.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool wrote: »
    haha no, its the boobies, they are massive :) I know you can get naturals but just seemed out of place to me, she got pornstar boobies!!! another video game cliche

I'm sure the other white girls are jealous:) And pornstar boobs kick ass anyway.
  • Turbosmooth Operator
    A game that's main downside was its overabundance of uninspired combat gets a sequel that throws even more of it at you? :(
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    first I was skeptical when I just saw the screenshots, but now that the demo is here I can safely say: new art style > old one. I just love it.

As ex character artist I'm very happy they finally upped the resolution on some of the clothing pieces. A few of them were seriously low res in DA1. Although all the female chars still have this annoying scarf or bracelet thing that hides where the head is attached. You'd think in 2011 we would have a better solution for a problem like this...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno, didn't make it far through the first one and got bored halfway through the demo.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Just a curious question;
    You all seem to be talking about improved combat and feels more like action rpg etc, I thought one of the things that made DA's combat interesting was the FF12-like gambit system thing?
    I never played it so I don't actually know, but that gambit-combat system thing (called tactics in DA) was the main thing that I was interested in when I was reading about it - do most PC players think differently?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel as though this one has something that I felt the first game direly lacked; A solid art direction. I like the character art in this one, as it feels more well thought out. And the semi-stylized style fits, in my opinion, the idea of a framed narrative (where the dwarf is telling his account of the events) as it is almost as though the player is being told a bed time tale, in ways. Also, Flemeth got a serious make over. I like her new hair. She looks less like someone hit the random button in the character creator, and more like an important character, AS SHE IS. Perhaps i am spoiled by JRPGs.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    One note I forgot to mention: There still are positional bonuses.
    I was reading through the skills and some of them mention flanking and I'm sure when I played melee-rogue Hawke started doing different attacks & more damage from behind (and no, I'm not talking about the Backstab skill). So for the people earlier in the thread... backstab/flanking is still there.

kaze369 >> Having one character with pornstar boobies is fine. It happens. It's hot.
    Having every female in the game be totally stacked kills immersion. I mean honestly: look at Bethany, look at her old grey-haired mother, and then look at Isabela and tell me it isn't overkill. Dragon Age is a fairly serious game; I think the character design should match that a little better.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNFORTUNATELY, it's much easier to make one or two body meshes and apply them to all of the characters, rather than make a few more that are realistic.
    I think the best bet would to roll with it the way Vindictus and many other korean MMO's do in character gen, and have a booby slider. From Small, to normal, to porn star.
    I think dragon age would benefit greatly.

@Yozora
    The tactics system is interesting, but I don't feel as though it was as well developed as it could have been.
    Perhaps I wasn't using it properly, but I don't feel like any of my characters were all that useful aside from Morrigan. I was playing on Normal, and she could handle a majority of encounters entirely on her own, based on the way her tactics were set up. I just had Leliana and Ohgren there to do some additional melee damage/draw fire away from her. I like the idea, I know that it could be done better though. hopefully DA2 tidies it up.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One note I forgot to mention: There still are positional bonuses.
    I was reading through the skills and some of them mention flanking and I'm sure when I played melee-rogue Hawke started doing different attacks & more damage from behind (and no, I'm not talking about the Backstab skill). So for the people earlier in the thread... backstab/flanking is still there.

kaze369 >> Having one character with pornstar boobies is fine. It happens. It's hot.
    Having every female in the game be totally stacked kills immersion. I mean honestly: look at Bethany, look at her old grey-haired mother, and then look at Isabela and tell me it isn't overkill. Dragon Age is a fairly serious game; I think the character design should match that a little better.
    True, but Avaline and Flemith isn't packin killer knockers and the female NPCs aren't either. But for the first 15 min. it looks like a boobie fest.

edit: OK, scratch that, Avaline is packin some heat.
    DragonAge2Demo_boob_fest_01.jpg

So where are these Dx11 tessellation settings?
    DragonAge2Demo_vid_options.png
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno man, they've yet to best dragon age origins:

48942_orig.jpg