Home Technical Talk

UDK for Ipad?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Mathew O polycounter
I was wondering if anyone really knew much about using UDK to create an Ipad game?

Are there any limitations? I.e. texture resolutions, poly counts or even lost functionality?

Can an Ipad game be developed short term without an ipad until one is available later on in production?

Thanks guys :)

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can pretty much work it out with the unreal editor. and advantage of having an iOs Device is that you can see bottlenecks in design and performence earlier but it's not necessary. keep in mind all mobile devices don't like too much dynamic stuff (over the top particle effects, realtime dynamic lights, etc.). also try not to overdo the materials (drawcalls) - maybe you can bake some stuff down to difuse instead of heaving 3 different maps for it, etc. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    You can see what its capable of here
    http://www.udk.com/showcase-epic-citadel
    The sources for this ship with UDK so that will give you a good idea of what their limitations were. texture res used and so forth.

also read this page. it answers a couple of your questions
    http://www.udk.com/mobile

Me im waiting till they get the Android built out. my HTC desire is crying out for some decent games.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    You can see what its capable of here
    http://www.udk.com/showcase-epic-citadel
    The sources for this ship with UDK so that will give you a good idea of what their limitations were. texture res used and so forth.

also read this page. it answers a couple of your questions
    http://www.udk.com/mobile

Me im waiting till they get the Android built out. my HTC desire is crying out for some decent games.

Yeah That would be awesome, thanks for the help!
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Ah as if you have to pay to develop an idea on an iOS device :/
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Get the iThing early on. Colors and how light dark things get is DRASTICALLY different than what you see in the preview.

Performance wise, I am finding I can get away with a lot with textures and such, provided you properly lay out your level. Most of my texture usage is in the lightmaps, as I use those to break up the tiled textures (along with simple props).
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Thanks man :D I am curious.. I read somewhere that iOS can't use normal maps but I am sure i have seen some in use. Can iOS use normals?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry if this seem like kind of a thread jack but i was just wondering if its required to have a ipohone/ipad to start developing for the platform? anyhow keeping a track of this thread since im also very intrested in developing for the mobile platforms with UDK.

cant wait for the android support!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    All you need is a Mac with one of the newer versions of Snow Leopard.
    You can apply as a developer and download the ios sdk + xcode.There you can test it in an emulated environment.To test if it really runs on the specific device you should own one though.But to get it on a real iDevice(or into the appstore) you have to enroll for another programm which costs 99$ per year.

I think UDK has something similar to it, but regarding UDK&iOS i really have no clue ;)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O, have you considered Unity?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    @Visceral, Nice name! :P Anyway.. at the moment you can emulate your iOS game straight from Unreal on your pc. So it'll create a screen and your mouse clicks act like touchscreen inside it. So you have no need for the actual device, which is pretty handy if you just want to get an idea running before considering it properly.

You can also use UDK remote and use your iWhatever as a wireless controller to test the touch screen interaction which is all really awesome.

Like SpecTar said however it looks like we'll have to pay £59($99) to be able to actually package it onto our iWhatever and play it on the acyual device. I think that will cover 5 of us developing it and multiple devices. Hopefully we don't have to pay £59 each. (I'm not clear on this yet)
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Mathew O, have you considered Unity?

We have looked at Unity and it looks awesome but three of the guys in my group are UDK savvy already so we'll be within our comfort zone using udk.

We're trying to keep the whole game development as stream lined as possible as we'll be up against a really tight deadline if we get the opportunity to do it.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, beacuse i have no apple products, They are pretty much grosly overpriced, but it would be fun to develop for the Imarket stuff. Just beacuse of the large crowd that uses it.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I think you would find it very hard to develop a good game for the iOS without owning one of the products, since you will have to do alot of testing since the emulator is far from perfect.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Yeah if you wanted to develop something and release it on the app store you have to pay the £59 either way so it'd be worth borrowing the device at the end to just check that it works I guess.

I think it's a shame that you can't release free apps for free, they'd have alot more people developing crazy new ideas if it was possible I think.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats why I went android rather than IOS. 25 dollars registration fee for you to be able to submit apps and a fee of 30% on each sale.

Im waiting with baited breath for Epic to release their android build of UDK
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    UDK on Android would be great, Bigger market and less ripper offerry on apples behalf.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well they released dungeon defenders a little while back, so the tech is there. Im guessing/hoping they are getting it ready for general consumption