Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face Sculpt

Hey all, so I'm doing my first face sculpt. I started in Maya to get the basic base mesh and am trying to get it looking good in zbrush. Ideally I wanted him to look like Bruce Willis, but at the moment I'm going for human, then I'll try more of the Bruce, please lots of c&c,the only way I'm gonna get better at this :) It is still a WIP at the moment.

also any tips or tricks would be awesome (ex. cool tricks with brushes, good wrinkles, etc.)

Thanks poly!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M72pkQ9cSuw"]Link[/ame] for a spin around of the head

face001.jpg

face002.jpg
face003f.jpg
face004.th.jpgbrucewillisc.th.jpgbrucewillis1.th.jpg

Replies

• Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skull cap looks awfully high compared to the picture, the jaw line seems too rounded near the chin, ears could be out more, and past the nose slightly, and cheeks are out way too far.

Overall try to look at your reference as much as possible when make any changes, and it will soon show up more as Bruce Willis. This is good attempt so far, but just needs some more retouching
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    A good thing to do is to bring your image and your render into your image editing program. Overlay and check your stuff out. It sounds really simple, but a lot of people forget to do that.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the advice! the photoshop comparison is a great idea. I have the problem of I can't seen to find one of Bruce directly from the front, there is always a slight angle.
    I've tweaked the ears out, narrowed the chin, widened the nose and lifted it up. I did a bunch o changes to the eyes and built up the side of the head more, along with the jaw.

I'm still working on it, I'm having trouble making big changes, I keep worrying that I'll totally mess it up some how.

face005.jpg
  • BCos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BCos polycounter lvl 7
    Could still use some more clay tube love. use a fairly small brush size, and by that, i mean about as wide as...ermm. the nostrils you have here. use quick strokes that flow in the same directions of major forms like bones, muscles, and tendons. After you've stacked up the areas you want, and scraped away at the areas you want indented, smooth it away slightly. leave some of the lines and scrapiness you get from the claytubes, as they will create great surface noise and directional forms once you take it up a sub-d level or two for tertiary stuff.

also, you may want to collect some other references, not necessarily Bruce. His features are more subtle, and thus harder to identify and sculpt. as it is your first real bust-sculpt, you may get better results if you aren't confining yourself to one fairly difficult facial reference.

also, don't be afraid to drop down to your first or second sub-d level and make some big shifts with the move brush. jump back up to your higher levels and see how it looks.
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming along very nicely, and feels more like Bruce Willis now. Try to sculpt the crow's nest in a Diagonal patterns near the bottom right of his eye , Add the vague indentation on the right of Bruce's face, and the cheeks could be pulled out just a bit more for showing his facial muscles are thicker.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    face update:
    I think the top of his head is now a little too lumpy
    face006.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback all.
    Here is an updae:
    face007.jpg
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't worry with small things like wrinkles yet. Try to work more on the overall form. You should be able to see the likeness with maybe 5k polys.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Go down a few levels, and define the mayor shapes. ;)
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow this is getting better. Keep up the good work. I would suggest making the chin a little wider, and buffed out, define the jowls a bit more, and touch up final small details.

aginface2_small.jpg

Here's a reference what Jowls are just in case you didn't know
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raising this from the dead,

So I basically stopped trying to do a likeness and just went for a face, that is believable. Right now he is a mixture of a bunch of pictures and sculpts.

I'm happier with him, and think after wayyyy too many attempts I actually got better wrinkles, using a cloth brush and inflat. go figure

Thanks for the help up until now too :)

faceitq.jpg
    By chrisyoon at 2011-02-19
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work here. I still think you captured a good enough of essence of Bruce Willis to call him so. Can't wait to see it textured.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unwrapped the LP (that only took 7 hours >_<)
    working on textures now
    diffuse and normal maps on the maya scene

Any tips on texturing a face? so far I have use a soft brush with opacity low?

WIP:
    texture01p.jpg

Update:
    with eyes now
    witheyes.th.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly, though the model had gotten a lot better, I think the high-poly could've still used a lot of work, especially in regards to likeness.

As far as texturing goes.. there are tons of tutorials out there. Here's one I like:
    http://pig-brain.com/tut01/tut01_01.htm

Right now the eyeballs are terrifying though. You might want to bring in some shades closer to the skin-tone, note that eyeballs aren't pure white. Also, the eyeballs themselves might be a bit too small, they don't seem to be sitting in his head quite right(the placement/size of the spheres in zbrush was much more natural).

Your UV layout is somewhat far from ideal as well, and I'm not sure what it all is or why it's laid out like that. It might help to separate the face and the rest of the head into two separate chunks.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for that awesome tutorial! its really helpful
    for the eyes, i wasn't sure about their placement so ill look into it more, they are really white too, thanks for the tip.
    For the UVing, I've seen so many different ways of unwrapping the face, I wasnt sure which was the best way. I wanted to keep the ears attached because my first attempt I did a spherical unwrap and cut the ears out and it looks really bad. Are there any more ideal ways of unwrapping a head?
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:
    put things around the eyes so they arn't crazy white
    worked with the colors on the face
    eyebrows

Question to anyone who might know:
    How do I get the Mental Ray render to look like the Maya veiwport image? I've been working off what the model looks like in the viewport, and just for fun I rendered it out in Mental Ray, only to find that it didn't look nearly as good :(

I'm not the best at rendering so I'm hoping there are just some settings I can change. (I do have an area light in the scene but I dont think mental ray is picking it up, its not effecting the model in the viewport, I'm assuming its because I have high quality on)

compareface.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    willis.png
    You're quite a bit off.
  • Heartless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heartless polycounter lvl 8
    His cheek bones look a bit too pronounced.

Very nice for your first face sculpt though.
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader: I ditched the, "make a face that looks like Bruce"
    I am now trying for "make a face" Thanks anyways tho.
    Where did u find that awesome side shot of Bruce?! That was one thing I had a hard time with, finding a good side profile shot of Bruce!

Heartless:

Goin for Mental Ray renders still. Basically been turning settings on and off saving them and comparing the images until I get results I like.
    So far I have these (lighting is never my strong point I've been told warm in the front, cool on the side and a back-light.... experimentation will continue):
    53031363.jpg

32777421.th.jpg 74245111.th.jpg
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems kind of saturated heres a color palette for you to get the colors in the right direction for a start.

skintone.jpg