Home Technical Talk

Trying to align vertices

2afii3m.gif
What I am trying to do is make the center vertices all uniform, so that the polygon is straight and is the same width at each vert. I think I saw a method for this a long time ago, but just can't remember. I tried planer and planer view... but that didn't work. Any advice would be such a big help.

Replies

• polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke, That is just what I was looking for... I guess the first time I tried that I selected the wrong verts or the wrong axes. Thanks for the help.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    You can also select multiple verts and scale them closer so they line up. It's the dirty approach.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to select multiple vertices and move them to the same coordinates, without having to align them first? ie like an absolute mode transform type-in for 'Local' coordinates. Hopefully that makes sense :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The make planar XYZ tools are in edit poly also, no need for graphite modeling tools, there is so much redundancy between the two its retarded.

Remember that you can run that on edges too, which is great for flattening loops. too bad it doesn't work on rings like the flatten UV Tools do, where it operates only on connected edges meaning you can flatten a few rings without them being smashed absolutely to the same spot.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know about make planar. I was hoping I'd missed a way to select a bunch of vert/edges and right click on the transform spinner to 0 them, instead of having to planar them first. I'd have thought it would work when set to local, but it doesn't.

Just looking for those little shortcuts :)
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the script Perna. I presume I'm right then that there isn't a Reference Coordinates System or setting that will move them all to the same coordinate :(
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) ok, I'll try again:

Say I select a bunch of verts which all have different coordinates in the z-axis. I want to move these verts so they are in a straight line at 10cm on the z-axis. If I type in 10cm in the Z axis type-in box, it won't move each vert to 10cm on the z-axis, it will take the selection/pivot centre. So they need to be made planar first before typing in 10cm, so that all vertices end up at 10cm.

I would have thought that if the 'Local' Cordinate System was selected that it would move each vert to 10cm without having to make planar first.

Is that any clearer?
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    The most efficient approach here, if working the way you do, is to have two type-in boxes.. one for each mode.

You made a script for a type in box that move objects to the same coordinate?

You're right, I'd still need to activate an absolute mode if I wasn't already in it.

This is such a minor thing anyway, but I'm curious.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks for the info Perna
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I must be missing something, cause it sounds like this is being ridiculously over-complicated.

If you have some verts that you want aligned vertically, all you'd do is select them, then hit Make Planar X. That's 1 operation.

If you want them to be vertical, but also have them at X-zero, you'd hit Make Planar X, then right click the X spinner at the bottom of the screen. That's 1 extra operation, 2 total.

I'm not sure what a maxscript could possibly cut out of that workflow. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which seems likely.