Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Dark Mass

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
I'm working on this project for my portfolio that shows my knowledge as an environment/ prop artist at creating current gen artwork. My primary goal with this project is to learn UDK as well as improving my work and my portfolio.

Concept: In a small town in New England, hidden by old dense forest, tourist who visit the region are being reported missing. An investigator is hired by the family of the latest victim to find the reason why, only to find a mysterious cult, that operates out of the old town church. The old church house is an imposing dark structure made worn by age and harsh winters. It is surrounded by dead shrubbery and old trees. The place gives off a sense of foreboding.

I've wanted to do a fall scene for while now as well as learn the ins and outs of Unreal. My experience in unreal is minimal (mainly following the video tutorials) but I know this will be a good project to cut my teeth on. This also gives me the opportunity to put everything I know together and make a proper scene. I hope you enjoy.

Primary Assets
-Church
-Dormitory
-Street
-Sidewalk
-Curbs
-Fences
-Graves
-Light-post

Foliage & Vegetation
-Oak Tree
-Maple Tree
-Birch Tree
-Pine Tree
-Grass
-Shrubbery
-Ground Cover

Ground Textures
-Grass
-Dead Leaves

Tools
-Maya 2009
-Mudbox 2010
-Photoshop CS3
-Crazybump
-Xnormal
-UDK

Marmoset Test:
Scene_001.jpg?t=1295743695Fence.jpg?t=1295743694

Mood & Reference:
Mood_Concept_Ref.jpg?t=1295741537

Replies

• marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The general layout for this environment.
    Layout1.jpg?t=1295822246
  • Ihazard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love that picture of the fallen leaves and the car, that's really nice, you should do something like that, also maybe have it at midday instead of at night, first of all night time will hide a lot of detail, and second of all I think middle of the day is a lot creepier with stuff like this, especially looking at the top left picture of your reference!
  • JavierOlazabal
    Great texture treatment!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udk_shot2.jpg?t=1300175756
    Hey guys, I've been away for awhile but now I'm back and have a lil bit of progress to show. I've been slowly learning the ins and outs of UDK and while I'm still learning tons of stuff, I've been able to start putting some stuff together. Ignore the materials on the trees and the church for now, all that stuffs placeholder for now including the church model. I've been tweaking and reworking the textures for a while now and I have a more final layout that I'm going to be using as well.
    I reworked the fence texture as well as the cobblestone the most. Right now I'm still not too keen on the materials for the sidewalks or cobblestone so that may all see some changes. Working on the fence before the church was good for me because I'm going to be more able to make the material on the church read better than I would have before. My next steps are to finish the church model and work on the second building as well.
    I'm also having trouble being able to get the spec and normals to read more clearly in the scene. Now it feels like everything is very flat, and I know it shouldn't be. Right now it just feels like everything is diffuse shaded only and there is little to no lighting detail showing from the textures. I'll be watching some more tutorials so they may explain whats going on but if you have any info thanks!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grass_Decolayer.jpg?t=1300580718
    I just spent the morning looking up tutorials and working to make my grass look good in UDK. I still have a bit of cleaning up to do but I'm loving the results so far! I have to tweak the grass so that it's in smaller clumps and easier to control. Earlier in the day it had really harsh shadows but I found a way to remove that by adding an emmisive texture. I also learned how to give a static mesh a texture by default instead of having to add it in the viewport.
    I had wanted to get a better start on the church itself but got caught up in doing other work. I just started the grass last night and kept going. There are still a lot of things to change and improve upon but I believe this is a good start.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trees.jpg
    Here's an update on my tree model. It's about halfway uv'd and textures are still wip.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Great job !! keep it up :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    This looks better with each update.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres some updates on lighting, the tree is finished uvs as well as texture updates. I've also started with my skybox. Tons of crap still to do and I'll start with updates on the church soon.Comp1.jpg?t=1300695953
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new Skybox and the mood its setting !!
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some new progress on my church scene. I reworked my lighting on this and I'm trying some new things with the overall feel as well. I want it to be more naturalistic while still feeling foreboding and having a dark mood. I also started getting some progress on the modeling of my building and setting other pieces up as well. I really could use some feedback, I want to know if the direction I'm going is looking alright or not. Thanks!Udk_shot3.jpg
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boo, cloudy skies gave a much more ominous feel.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Yeah, the previous skydome before the last post was much better. I'm not a fan of the overall change in lighting in general.

I also wonder why the planks in the picket fence are so widely spaced. Shouldn't it be more like this? Right now it looks like literally ever other slat - exactly - has fallen out and been removed.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is something I wanted to know. The blue skies are only a test for now but I am moving forward with making it more naturalistic colors and lighting. It'll have cloudy skies but not quite the ones from before.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udk_shot4.jpg?t=1301277271
    Another update, this time with more lighting test, hopefully better than before. I also changed the fences around and added more detail.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shots 2 and 3 are definitely looking more ominous :)

What res is your skybox at? I feel like I'm seeing pixelation in spots.

How closely are you planning to follow the concept in post 2?
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The skybox is 2048x512. And I'm using that image as a general reference. All of the elements that are in that shot are going to be in the final scene. The lighting and time of day have changed to a more late afternoon but it's still overcast. I'm moving the graveyard more to the side of the church than in the middle and there's going to be a stone wall along the back of the church. A treeline will run behind that wall and but you'll be able to see a large field beyond that, then more trees and hills. I'm not sure about the other side of the scene yet, this is generally supposed to be seen from one angle. I want it to feel realistic but also that there is something very wrong about this place.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Udk_shot5.jpg?t=1302058519
    Here's an update for this scene
    - Minor modeling changes (less tree branches, windows on church)
    - texture updates
    - lighting overhaul
    - added fog
    - added trees to background (needs more models)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Hi marq4porsche, I feel the new purple ambient lighting is taking a step backwards, go back to screenshot 03-21-2011 01:28 AM or 03-27-2011 06:56 PM. This scene is looking nice so far.
  • Kitteh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitteh polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm wrote: »
    Hi marq4porsche, I feel the new purple ambient lighting is taking a step backwards, go back to screenshot 03-21-2011 01:28 AM or 03-27-2011 06:56 PM. This scene is looking nice so far.

yeah, imo this was the best color/light/sky setup:

Grass_Decolayer.jpg?t=1300580718
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry, I've been away working and stuff. But here is an update on the stuff i've been working on. New Foliage, new textures on the church, updated model, a back fence, and updated lighting. Also changed the layout some in the front a bit. Udk_shot12.jpg?t=1304481622
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, if you could get some sort of accent light in there, something warm or maybe even a greenish color that would be killer

-also, the mood in this is great- straight out of rosemary's baby.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks pretty nice so far, your in the right direction, and I do agree with konstruct... maybe add fog too?

Here is what I am thinking.... just my ideas! just keep them in mind :)

Udk_shot12.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the feedback, that's definitely the feel I'm going for.
    1. The main light source is a pole lamp in front of the church, I'm also going to experiment with small lanterns on the side of the church.
    2. The windows will be boarded up with light shining through
    3. The materials for the church are not quite done yet, there will be far more variation and detail in the final textures, right now the wall texture is applied to the whole structure.