Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

) Junk Airship (

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
looprix polycounter lvl 8
Long time no post…
This Airship sculpture is personal work I have been working on after work. I found a sketch I did about 5 years ago and thought the form would be challenging to model. My next step is to build a low poly version and bake it. Please let me know what you think!

junkship_900p.jpg

Replies

• looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh! and the sketch...

junkship_sketch.jpg
  • GoodDreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Er... it dosen't really look like 'junk', eh?
  • JarlanPerez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Completely agree with GoodDreams, Doesn't really look like junk to me. Sweet looking ride. :D
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    A airship that gathers junk? :D Really cool so far!

I really liked the details. You should model them in to :)

r0ea06.jpg
  • Ampaist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with the others.. when it said junk i was more thinking trash but its a cool model
  • boyluya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boyluya polycounter lvl 10
    I think it would have been better if you stick to what the concept says. Though the outcome still looks cool. :)
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice modelling but I find the scale hard to read; there are varying scales of detail that just confuse me.
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    I agree about the scale, the guns in comparison to what I'm assuming to the cockpit are SRSLY SERIOUS BUSINESS!

However It's a really sick looking model with a lot of tricky shapes. I think it looks awesome.

For presentation purposes it would read a lot better if you lost some of the reflection and that curved thing behind it. It makes it feel microscopic.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I like the sketch rather better; it has a contrast between the smooth and clean shapes of the hull and the detailed and complicated shapes of the guns and machinery underneath (I think a lot of real vehicles have this contrast as well). The model, however, is complicated all over, which looks busy and confusing.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the concept has lots of potential , smooth shapes that are complicated to model yet would look amazing , but it seems you decided to go the simpler way and oversimplify the shapes and add details to make it more busy "hiding" the big shapes that are so interesting in the concept :(
  • ZombieWells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    a fair amount of cool shapes man. good stuff!
  • looprix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think by junk I meant clunky, with random forms slapped together. If I were to Zbrush it then the ship could be junkier. Thanks for the feedback, I agree it is hard to determine the scale. I am going to ditch the bkg and replace it with Hangar like details, maybe some catwalks and definitely people! How could I forget people!
    After reviewing I see that the ships form is a little busy I just need to determine which shapes to nix. Thanks!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Im gonna have to agree with johny, this is a "cool" piece by itself. But theres alot of interesting shapes and alot more cleaner more organicy kinda edge flow on the concept where as with yours proportions and attention to detail are just being ignored or being modeled by a shape that "sort of" looks like it.

in example the front face is more rounded in the concept (notice the color of the shading) where as yours is flat (well not true flat but a slight raise in the center)

The eyeballs are in the wrong scale and size and overall placement (placement due to there size at the moment)

the weird mouth atenna thingys are totally a different shape.

The center of the gyro mecahnism you added in your own details and got rid of theres completely.

theres alot of others as well. Really examing this piece and think about this in according to your details of your concept.

if this was just some model, then fuck yeah , enjoy all the virtual pats on the back you'll get from people on here for doing nice modeling. But following a concept and modeling it based on it, its 2 different things.

I have been getting RIPPED apart at work for this same kinda jazz so dont let it get you down. Overall nice modeling and nice render, be neat to see it in game. But its not the same as the concept. :)