Home Unreal Engine

Transferring project to newer UDK

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
crasong polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, have been working on a project using the March 2010 version. And there are some features that newer versions have that might make life easier for us.

Tried this tool (http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=725317)
but I still have to manually change some of the config files.

The map we have loads fine and everything, even the custom inputs that we made. But the player/pawn at the moment is just a free flying camera at this point, and i'm sure im missing something.

Just wondering if anyone has experience upgrading to a newer version of UDK.

And while I'm at it, one of the biggest reasons for change is because the kismet in UIScenes seems to be missing a lot of its functionality, and we're wondering if Scaleform would make life better, assuming we'd have to learn how to use it.

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    when i upgrade to a newer version, i have a separate hard drive with a directory that matches exactly my C drive.

C: > UDK > UDK-2010-10 > UDKGame > Content
    C: > UDK > UDK-2010-10 > UDKGame > Content > Maps
    C: > UDK > UDK-2010-10 > Development > Src > MyMod (or whichever folder you're doing)
    C: > UDK > UDK-2010-10 > UDKGame > Content > Maps
    C: > UDK > UDK-2010-10 > UDKGame > Config

i take whatever is in those folders that i have changed and put it into a folder on my drive called UDK-2010-X (X so i just change the month and drag right into my c drive).

then when i open frontend and compile it takes the directory of everything and works.
  • crasong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crasong polycounter lvl 13
    Oniram: Yeah sounds like it would work, for newer versions. The March UDK was before a large amount of changes, such as the addition of scaleform, and the change in directories, which in march are still under UTsomething, which are now UDKsomething.

Hence the difficulty in my shifting the project. Thanks for the tip though.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    i see. though i would say that its definitely worth taking the time to switch. some of the new features are really sweet. :D like light shafts...one of my favorites. be careful tho, because if you have done any hud work, in the new versions they have removed the old ut3 hud feature.