Home General Discussion

Camcorders?

I've been seriously considering picking up an HD camcorder. I used to make short films in high school a few years ago and if I weren't in the game industry I'd definitely be making movies. The problem is I don't know what's hot right now as far as camcorders go.

Does anyone have any experience with current HD camcorders?

To throw budget numbers out there I'd say around $2500 would be my max. I'm not opposed to used equipment either.

Alternatively I could just upgrade to a Canon 5D Mk II as that shoots HD video and I can get some nice lenses, but it doesn't seem very conducive to action and movement.

Replies

• Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try looking up the canon xh, xf, and xl series
    They should range between 2 an 5k, but are the better class when it comes to video.
    Way more options and you are able to buy seperate parts for it.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could also pick up a T1i, T2i or a 7D if you're not looking for something toooo expensive, spend the rest of the money on quality lenses instead. I dunno how camcorder lenses compare to dSLR lenses tho.

Any canon camcorders compatible with EF lenses? I know a few have been at some point, dunno if that has carried over recently.

Rens: It would be cool to see a breakdown of dSLR vs Camcorder, as i'm not too familair with them. From what I understand, because of the larger sensor on a dSLR you can get narrower depth of field effects with a dSLR than a video cam, which is a good thing, however loud/not silent lenses, and poor audio capture are a big negative with dSLRs, along with distortion from fast panning.

My next purchase will be either a T1i or T2i, depending on what they cost in about a year, upgrading from a 350D, for A. Live view and B. Video mostly. I'm super excited to use my sigma 30mm 1.4 as a video lens, have seen some really cool video tests with that lens.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing a bit more research it looks like one of the biggest drawbacks of a dSLR that shoots video(seemingly any dSLR that shoots video, except possibly the mirrorless ones, lumix etc) is that to do proper AF(through the lens AF) you have to have the mirror down, so you can AF before shooting, or you can use the contrast detect live view focus mode, which is apparently pretty slow. Or manual focus of course, but MF with a fast lens is very tricky.

Bit more, as expected, the Lumix GH1/2(and probably other bodies) are designed to work mirroless, and have better AF performance in video mode, so they would seem to be pretty attractive here. I keep considering going over to a Lumix body, because the flange distance means you can use virtually *any* lens ever made with it, however I love me some Canon EF lenses, and the Lumix lens selection is limited and expensive... as are the bodies.

DPReview, video on GH1(the review for the GH2 isnt as indepth): http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgh1/page19.asp
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreddieW has an interesting post about using the 7D for video: http://www.freddiew.com/2010/07/27/flower-warfare-and-the-canon-7d/

One of the main reasons I want to shoot video is to do action and VFX. According to FreddieW and some others, DSLRs aren't the best for lots of movement.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah and as he mentions, if you want wider scenes with a lot of action, the shallow DOF of a dSLR is a drawback, if you want to isolate, the shallow DOF of a dSLR is a plus, so it comes down to what you want to use it for there. And then skewing and stabilization are going to be bigger issues as well. You would probably want to look into a support rig for a dSLR.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking I'm going to try out a 5D if I can since I've been wanting a full frame DSLR anyhow. I'll do some tests and see if I like it or not. Seems to me the best thing to do is to just try it out!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Canon XH A1S or the Panasonic AG-HVX200A. You will be happy with both. But I'd go for the Pani for the frame rates.
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the Canon 5D Mrk2. I should point out that if you want to shoot HD you need a very fast CF card, and a big one otherwise it won't keep up. I got SandDisk ExtremeIII 32gb, which costs a lot!

Also I think last time I checked you can only record 28mins?

Those costly cons out the way. The pros are, insanely awesome camera, if you're Games or VFX person, this camera is so useful, you can take huge ref pics, HD and all in pro quality. Plus full frame! woo

Lastly, you might want to hold out till sept 2011 if you can, when the scheduled mr3 should arrive. Check out CanonRumors.com for updates
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good point about CF cards Justin, hadn't thought of that.
    As far as recording times go, I don't think 28 mins will bother me (right now). I've been eyeballing the Mark II for a while now as my go-to DSLR, something that I'll keep for a very long time. The video capability is a bonus.
    Also, Sept 2011?! Don't want to wait that long.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    I own a 5D Mark II and am going to be using it next year to shoot some short films. It's an outstanding camera; TV and Hollywood productions are starting to incorporate it into their shoots (an episode of House was filmed with it for exmaple, and I think David Fincher used one during the production of The Social Network). There are many accessories available on the market for it that can help transform it into a more ergonomic film camera, such a glide cams, shoulder mounts, more intuitive focusing mechanisms,matte boxes, etc.

However, you need to purchase based on your needs. The rolling shutter of the 5D is what causes the skewing when doing fast movements. Some comparison between the 5d and 7d:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_65IQ9U-Q[/ame]

I don't mind the lack of AF in shooting video, as a photographer focus is something I'd want complete control over anyway. What I would love though is 60fps shooting in the 5D; it's an advantage the 7D has over the 5D.

Also, If you want to shoot at f/5.6 or f/8 to get a larger DOF than light the scene accordingly; there are tricks you can do in post to darken a shot if you want a dark scene with a large DOF.

If you decide on an HDSLR, be sure to check out the custom picture styles avaliable. There is a good thread on Cinema5D about them:http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3401 . The superflat picture style for example can help increase the dynamic range of a shot, allowing for greater flexibility in post and achieving truly cinematic quality footage out of a DSLR
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great video and links Paul, thanks for that.

That skewing bugs the hell out of me honestly and as I've heard it can make tracking for VFX a pain. Not the mention to choppiness of the video. I assume shooting at higher frame rates will help if not alleviate that problem?
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, I'm liking the 7D more and more.
  • johnno7710
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you had a look at the Sony camcorders? $1000 is a lot for a camera, you can get a decent camera for a lot less!