Home Technical Talk

Max 2010 mat editor glitch with directx shaders

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
Hey PC techies!

Problem:
The max 2010 mat editor rollout is not wide enough to check boxes or load maps when using direct x shaders?! Is there a way to change the width of the editor in some config file?

-SP1 is installed.
-This happens with all shaders, not just Xoliul's.

Any thoughts?

glitchfumaxnotcool.jpg

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Your font looks bigger. Maybe change it to the same as your other max? I don't get this in my max 2010 or 2011. :(
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm oddly enough i didnt change font sizes. I tried switching back to default and other UI, still no luck. Deleting 3dsmax.ini didn't fix it either.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How come the 2nd rollout has the title "_noshadows.fx"? Looks like you might be using a different shader in Max 9.

What is the Technique dropdown set to on each?

Is this the same machine, or two different ones? Could be the two graphics cards don't support the same shader model (3 vs. 2).
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Nope, that doesn't happen to me..btw, why are you still using the old shader? the current version is 1.6 already, you might want to upgrade it to the latest version.

I have no idea what causing that but I'm sure it's not the font error, if you notice the one on the right "Default Light" dropdown menu is aligned right with "Reload" button on top of it, but on the left image it's not align with the "Reload" button.

_Revel
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Eric: "_noshadows.fx" is the max 9 version, the technique is SM3 and it's the same machine.

Revel:I'm using the old shader on max 9 because i get errors with 1.5 (only works with max 2008+ i believe). I would've used 3PS light, but again i'm screwed.

The ghetto workaround is importing a max 9 scene with shader applied =/.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    One more thing to check - you are all up to date with service packs and so on.

I just tried fiddling with my OS text size and it's gone tiny, but the 3dsmax UI is still the same old size, not sure at all what is happening!

For ghetto 1.1 workaround:

If you type:
     showproperties $.material

into the maxscript listener, you'll get the list of all the parameters in the shader applied to the current object. Look for the one you need, and then you can type:
    $.material.THEPROPERTYYOUWANT = true

where THEPROPERTYYOUWANT is the name of the boolean which you want to flip, and of course you can put true or false, to set it either way, or even flip it with:
    $.material.THEPROPERTYYOUWANT = not $.material.THEPROPERTYYOUWANT

Hope it helps, can't reproduce so can't help more. As all my favourite programmer colleagues always say, "It works on my machine...."
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Well thanks for the help everyone, cw that method is way better, cheers for that!