Home Technical Talk

Maya Split Polygon Tool + snap problem

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hi all

I come with a strange problem that I apparently am the only one to have (just asked a friend and it works perfectly for him, both at work and on his own pc).

I don't have problem to split polygons, but when i use it with the vertex snap it doesn't work. Here's a quick vid :

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V_J3Dj-RFA[/ame]

As you can see, it works perfectly without any snap; but with snap, whenever i click on enter to apply the split, all the created points disapear.

Do you have any ideas how to solve this problem ?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    That does indeed look odd. Have you tried doing it in two steps? First one half, then the second? Does that give you the same error?
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Maya wont let you end a poly split on the same edge it was started on in some cases.
    The easy solution to this is to do it half-way then apply the split, then do it the rest of the way.

[Edit] Ninja'd, 5 minutes too late ^_^.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Scruples, not really true, depends on the direction, I can go all the way around and it works fine, I really have no idea why it's not working for GoSsS.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Same as bal, of course most shapes you can do that on you could just use insert edge loop, but if you're wanting to specify vert distance I suppose split poly would be the better option.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    When you are snapping to verts and splitting Maya doesn't understand that you are going across any lines since it is treated as a screen space projection.
    Ergo it thinks you are trying to end the split on the same line it started.

Drawing a spike, beginning on an edge and ending it on the same edge without the end of the spike touching another edge is impossible too....I can't say for anything past Maya 2009.
    But based on how slow they are to fix tools the problem is probably still there.

[Edit] I should point out split usually works better in a non-orthographic viewports, probably has something to do with the Z-depth.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    ivars wrote: »
    That does indeed look odd. Have you tried doing it in two steps? First one half, then the second? Does that give you the same error?

Same problem if i do it in two steps.
    I found a way to resolve this, if i don't use snap for the points that are on the edges (so, the first one, the 3rd, the 5th and the 7th) and snap for the points that aren't on edges (2nd, 4th, 6th and the 8th) it works just fine ...