Home Technical Talk

Max help- Braided metal wire

hay so quick question im trying to make a braided metal wire/pipe

istockphoto_9597275-braided-metal-hose.jpg

^^ like that one... now i have the woven pattern but im running into trouble on what to do next. I tried the bend modifer but it does some really wonky stuff, sends polygons all over the place. am i doing something wrong or is there a better way to go about this. Any help is much appreciated

below is my woven pattern made from a box arrayed, attached and welded

woven.jpg

Replies

• killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Have you tried looking through this thread? they may have covered this or something similar. It might be a good idea to ask this there to contribute to that ongoing thread.

-kp
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i skimmed it, 49 pages is alot to look through but didnt really find anything .. but ill ask in that thread as well
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Page 47 here. If the video is too big I'll do a jpg capture at work in a few hours unless someone else throws one down between now and then.
    Its maya, but same principles work.
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skimmed right over your post there, im DLing it now only about 8 mins so ill check it out and see what i come up with
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    used your method and it worked much better, i think when creating the woven pattern i messed up someplace or welded/moved things i wasn't suppose to

never even thought of using an FFD to move the pieces... very cool

anyway here is the finished piece, using 2 wires one inside of the other to tighten it up, though for use on the final model i may ditch the second and use a cylinder inside to save on polys

Thanks a bunch for the video, totally helped out

finishedd.jpg
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man no problem. Jpegs are more noticeable than a download link so I'll eventually do a tut like that for it. It just takes time.
    Theres really no need for doing a second braided cable inside that cable though. If you make a copy of the original lattice work and rotate them 12.5degrees and pull it forward just a bit it'll line up with the previous. Do it one more time and it'll fill it out.
    Though you may still want to throw down a regular cylinder inside.
    There are a few more ways to do it, but thats the fastest way I've found.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also use TexTools to unwrap a cylinder convert the UV to 3D mesh, create a morph, skinwrap your braided wire to the flat version and morph it into a cylinder. I'm not sure if thats the method you used or not, don't have time to check.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also use TexTools to unwrap a cylinder convert the UV to 3D mesh, create a morph, skinwrap your braided wire to the flat version and morph it into a cylinder. I'm not sure if thats the method you used or not, don't have time to check.

Damn you Vig and you're simple solutions that I don't have available in maya... :D

Nope, its a few cubes, ffd and bend.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The advantage of the TexTools method is that anything you can unwrap you can apply these types of patters to. So say a spline that is standing in for cable pr pipe that weaves and loops all over, no problem with TexTools, but very hard to get it to FFD and bend correctly.

I guess you could create a long straight version in maya and path deform it to the spline?