Home Technical Talk

UV Wrap Chamfer Box

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Habboi sublime tool
This is probably so simple and I'm being an idiot but I can't for the life of me UV map a simple chamfered box. This is 3DS Max 2011.

It's actually more of a rectangle for a sofa cushion that I'll clone once UV'd. The best I can get it is simply using plane along the Z axis which does a good job except of course for the middle which is stretched.

When I relax it, it goes all over the place instead of keeping its shape.

UV mapping is still frustrating to me sometimes...

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    can you show what you have? With a shape like that it might be an idea to stretch a little bit the outer shell parts so they gain more texel space as opposed to getting squashed in proportion of the center part.
    In the end depending on the seams it comes down to good stamping or texturing jobs and UV that doesn't stretch to much.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    http://upload.habboi.co.uk/sofa_uv.jpg

There you are. As you can see, it's just a simple tiled fabric texture that I wan't to wrap around nicely for baking. Hell I tried stitching it all manually but the curves were a devil.

All I need to do is relax the middle section so it gets more density but I'm never sure how to go about that. It's always too small to scale.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    there's no way around it - you're going to have a seam around the rounded edge. It's just a matter of weather or not its close to the top or the sides. :/

e: in terms of evening out texel space, just scale down the centre manually, select the next verts out and scale them in accordingly and so on. It'll only take a minute to do by hand.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It was too much work and I couldn't get it to seam perfectly. So I just lowered the density so that the detail can only be seen up close and used a quick box UV on each cushion.