Home Technical Talk

UDK for iphone free

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
renderhjs sublime tool
read it here:
http://www.macworld.com/article/155897/2010/11/epic_games_to_release_unreal_development_kit_for_ios_.html/
When it ships, the UDK iOS will include the same editors and code used to create a number of blockbuster games, and will be available to anyone wishing to publish games via the App Store. Toolsets of this quality generally cost developers anywhere from $500 to tens of thousands of dollars, so by releasing the UDK for free, Epic is drastically lowering the barrier of entry for iOS developers wishing to create graphically impressive games.

should be available soon.

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
  • DaBeast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DaBeast polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome, i guess it's time to learn myself some UDK :P .
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great news, I hope they include some kind of on-device build preview for testing though. I know Apple's signing requirements make that tricky, but the Unity remote kinda sucks, and it's a pain to build and sign with XCode every time you want to test on the device.

Hopefully they make it as easy as Unity>Android.

EDIT: Hold on... this means UDK for Mac which seems a fairly big announcement in itself? Or at least I think it does right? You can't compile for iPhone without OS X unless I'm mistaken.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT: Hold on... this means UDK for Mac which seems a fairly big announcement in itself? Or at least I think it does right? You can't compile for iPhone without OS X unless I'm mistaken.

Yep, iOS is mac only for development. I wouldn't mind a windows sdk, but that will never happen.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I have been waiting for this ever since they showed off Epic Citadel. It blew my mind!

Guys don't worry...I'm pretty sure that you will be able to develop via Windows, and throw all the data over to a mac externally once your done. As far as iterations / testing goes though, yeah, it'd be nice to have some kind of emulation via UDK right inside the program on windows, or something similar to that.

So, either make friends with someone that has a mac, or get one right now :D (I'm lucky...my girlfriend has a badass mac right behind me =D)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Just got my new mac mini here at work today for iPhone development. Its not a developer friendly environment but its the only way to get things running and signed on iOs devices.

I wonder though if they are porting the UnrealEd, it always used to be very windows specific. So I assume that the editor will still be windows only but some porting tools will make easier to preview or emulate builds on the mac. So it could mean that you need a PC and mac at the same time in order to work with this.
    Or they might go with some wine or crossover technology to port the editor to the mac, will see when the time is right.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    renderhjs wrote: »
    Just got my new mac mini here at work today for iPhone development. Its not a developer friendly environment but its the only way to get things running and signed on iOs devices.

I wonder though if they are porting the UnrealEd, it always used to be very windows specific. So I assume that the editor will still be windows only but some porting tools will make easier to preview or emulate builds on the mac. So it could mean that you need a PC and mac at the same time in order to work with this.
    Or they might go with some wine or crossover technology to port the editor to the mac, will see when the time is right.

My thoughts are the same. I'd be happy with either, tbh.
  • Jeka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They say , tools are Windows-based.
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    Fantastic news and terrible, terrible news at the same time.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I have a MacBook Pro which I use for general messing around at home, with Bootcamp on too it's like the perfect little mobile dev setup.

Seems odd that they wouldn't port the UDK over. Although I'm sure I've heard that too, IIRC even when UT3 was talked about for Mac (did it ever come out?!) they always said there would be no Editor tools for OS X.

The whole 'create on PC, transfer all your stuff over to Mac to compile' thing seems a bit sketchy I think, unless they really streamline the process. We all know how fussy UDK is about file structures and locations so the likelihood of me screwing up the folder structuring, and not knowing what to transfer for compiling is pretty big.

Although making it Mac only would be completely stupid of course, It'd just be nice to have the option.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    From a code point of view I guess porting the editor over is a bit of a difficult task. They have written their engine code multiplatform, but the editor was probably never intended to be.
    I remember vaguely for example that one of the big reasons the new Content Browser was such an improvement, is that they heavily rewrote things to rely on Windows specific code, something with DotNet or the like (don't pin me on that though). That sort of thing makes it much harder to port.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I guess the OpenGL / DIrectX thing may be an issue too. Although that probably relates more to the engine itself rather than the editor as a separate piece of software... I'm talking about things I don't really understand lol.

One thing I'll be curious to see is how much of UDK will be usable on iPhone builds. If the terrain system can be used, that'll be awesome since Unity terrain won't build on mobile platforms.

I haven't stopped thinking about how amazing this is actually going to be since this was announced last night :D
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    now my new gf has to have a mac >_>

great news, cant wait. also hoping the full tool set would be available on windows
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 wrote: »
    great news, cant wait. also hoping the full tool set would be available on windows

As mentioned above, it'll definitely be for Windows, nothing to worry about there.

Compiling the app will need to be done on a Mac though since XCode is the only way to build and sign apps for iPhone, and XCode will only run on an Intel Mac.

In fact, I don't even know if there's a way to compile Objective-C in anything other than XCode period, let alone just for iPhone dev?
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    When they say free... You'd still have to pay royalties I guess? If you're making money...
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    they gotta eat too :p
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars wrote: »
    When they say free... You'd still have to pay royalties I guess? If you're making money...

I would think it will be similar to their current licensing fees. A scaling percentage based on sales.

For beginning developers I think it's much better than the 2200 it costs for Unity up front. Although if you make the next Angry Birds in UDK, the Unity deal would probably look rather attractive!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I am sure you will build the xCode project on the PC. Take that and open it on the Mac and compile and run.

Can't wait to get it.
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Dn2 wrote: »
    they gotta eat too :p

Yeah. I don't blame them, I think it's awesome :)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    So excited for this. I've been dying for UDK/Marmoset on the Mac. This is totally on the top of my Xmas list.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I guess the OpenGL / DirectX thing may be an issue too. Although that probably relates more to the engine itself rather than the editor as a separate piece of software... I'm talking about things I don't really understand lol.

The renderframework is not the isue here, remember PS3 doesn't run DirectX either. The engine is definitely coded in a way that switching render framework is no insurmountable issue. It's just that for years they probably never intended to run the tools on anything other than Windows; it's the games themselves that need to run multiplatform after all.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for explaining Xoliul, as I said I was in over my head in technicalities :D
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, would be very cool to be able to build environments on my PC and then e-mail them to my phone and see them :) Maybe someone will conjure that up.