Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Corridor

I'm currently working on a science fiction corridor for a university assignment. I'm trying to create something a little more atypical than a darken hallway by creating an outdoor maintenance passage that has a dusty, arid feel to it. As of right now it's rendered out in mentalray, but I've been creating a lot of modular pieces in hopes of bringing it into UDK when I'm finished. I'd love some feedback, especially in regards to composition, lighting, and texturing.

AO: corridorAO.jpg

Lighting Only:
corridorUntextured.jpg

WIP Texture:
corridorTextured.jpg

Replies

• jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    I'm bumping this for my polycount-virgin friend.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Get it into UDK as soon as you can, this will allow you to set up a basic light rig and visualize the level in realtime in order to see what direction you need to take it. Not only that, but you'll find the level will look different in realtime to mental ray, espically the shadows and what not.

It looks like a solid foundation so far, I would do a basic colour pass on everything, giving it a representing colour for the UDK, lightmass will bake nicely into this instead of having the default UDK checker, this also helps visualization of the level.

Goodluck.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    i like the setup! has a lot of potential.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    i like the light - really nice to see the sky
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you tried moving your sun light source to point towards the camera...that gap in the middle there should probably have a light above it and pointing towards the camera...
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    You have some interesting shapes going on at the moment, there's a lot of potential right now.
    I think the biggest thing I see with these 'Sci-Fi' corridors done well is focusing on modularity. It's a whole lot easier to make one asset look fantastic and have that fill up a room than to have to make hundreds of assets at the same quality. I think the biggest advice I could give is to try mentally breaking up the blockout into small sections and begin working on those sections.
    Another thing is settling on a mood and colour scheme. Does it use bright colours to create focal points? Is it more grungy and grey?

I'm sure you've seen this before but Minotaur0 did a fantastic job on his:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73253

A lot of good things to look at in there.
    Best of luck.