Home Technical Talk

Problem with the normal constraint and click & drag in maya

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
Hi guys !

Because video is better than many words here's my problem in video (with some words after :p):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqL8eSixlBw[/ame]

As you can see, I can't reproduce the behavior of the move component tool with magnet constraint from xsi into maya.

First part of the video shows you how I can move points on the mesh without deforming the global shape of it (or at least the less possible) in XSI.

In Maya I tried to reproduce this constraint behavior, by checking Normal in the move tool settings (I don't care that it only works on vertices because it's way sufficient).

I don't have any problem when I click on the vertex and move it afterward (2 clicks) but my problem comes when I use the click and drag (just click on the vertex you want and move without releasing the button), maya always selects the N Axis (the one axis I don't want to use :D).

Is there a way to only use U and V axis when "click and drag" mode is activated ?

Edit : I tried Nex but it's the same, i can't use slide (with face or edge) with the click and drag (or i missed something)

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah maya is pretty terrible at this. Only way around would be Make Live but I can tell thats not what you are looking for (since you want more of a free form kind of solution, right)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    How do you get Maya to do select + move in one click?

When I try it I can't even do that, I have to click once to select, then click again to move... is there a tool setting I'm missing to allow this one-click behaviour?
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    MoP, click drag select, in the selection preferences, alternatively since a few versions, there's also the tweak mode (in the different transform's options).
    I have a little button to toggle it on and off.

Yeah I looked for what GoSsS wants but just doesn't seem possible in Maya, unfortunate cause it almost works with the "normal" alignement.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    @Mop : Here's the code for the toggle button :

if (`selectPref -q -clickDrag`)
    selectPref -clickDrag 0;
    else
    selectPref -clickDrag 1;

@Pior : Yeah, the Make Live isn't exactly what i want, it's close but this workflow is a tad heavy for such a simple task.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've wanted something like this for a while, I remember that the NEX plugin had a feature like this. It would be nice at the very least if the constrain to edge movement followed all edges connected to a given vert, rather than one at a time.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Wow....when comparing the two side by side and so quickly like that, you can definitely see where the advantage lies... =O
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Ctrl + Left Clicking an axis removes it from the manipulator unless manually selected, or Ctrl + Left clicking again on the manipulator's center. So in this case, Ctrl + Left click the Normal axis and you'll be restrained to moving in the U and V axii.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Illusions, this isn't what we want, what we are looking for is something that can work while click draging (one click movement). Having to ctrl-left click the normal axis means you've already had to click once to select the point, when moving points around on the fly quickly, this is very tedious.