Home Technical Talk

Star Wars Monster: Opee Sea Killer

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys i have a question on using custom textures but still use mental ray shaders, in 3ds Max.
This is for a final for one of my classes in college..advanced materials and lighting. Our final was to model a mechanical bug and render it nicely.
i chose to do the crab guy from star wars!

first here's my model:
11wf1g4.jpg

Now what im trying to accomplish is to get silver tips on this guys scales like in this concept:
2n6adg6.jpg

So heres what im trying to do:
sc851g.jpg
where the red is, i want that to be chrome/silver and fade into the orange..but i want it to look scratched up.

How exactly would i go about doing all that?
would i unwrap it, texture it like that and somehow throw those 2 materials in the right spots? idk -_-

p.s. heres a student example of how i will be rendering it.
This is the works of Andres Rivera:
2vhvkoz.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This technique could possibly work, though you might have to hand paint the vertex colors rather than use the script that is suggested in the tutorial.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, but I went with my own way.
    I just unwrapped it, textured it and used mental ray shaders.
    These are my renders:
    25k4vgk.jpg
    2mzyxlj.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty cool Cordell Felix!

I know this is the Technical Talk section and not Pimping and Previews, so just throwing a suggestion out there.

Depending on the look you are going for it might be a good idea to use a separate gloss/specular power map/material to help visually separate the gray and orange surfaces from each other.

Right now the way the specular highlight rolls over the scales they look as though they are made of exactly the same material rather than one being shiny and the other being worn down and scratched up like you had originally planned.

Either way nice model :)
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well at first I had a technical question (or so I thought it was a technical question)
    and I still wanted to show the results.

Thats true about the scales having a different material, didn't even think about that.
    Thank you for your cNc's!
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is always a bigger fish, Good job

You may be able to control it with the falloff shader and use a custom alpha to control it? Just an idea to play with
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    ahh so that's what this is..

nice stuff dude. The material could use some work, but I like it overall.