Home General Discussion

So, its 100% confirmed... Marky Mark is Nathan Drake...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Excuse me while I go drown myself for having ANY bit of hope left for Hollywood....

http://kotaku.com/5698269/mark-wahlberg-will-be-nathan-drake-deniro-could-be-drakes-dad

They couldn't have got the casting any more wrong. Hey, I like Pecci and Deniro and sure, they would be great in this film. But wheres this whole "Drakes Dad/Uncle" thing come from? They pretty much took one of the best storylines in a game this generation and stuck two fingers up at it. No Sully love either...?

It really boggles the mind, but at the same time, I knew I was reaching asking for Nathan Fillion in the role... Meh, oh well, at least we have Uncharted 3 news soon hopefully...

Replies

• TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Eh, I don't mind the casting. It's also way too early to just damn a whole movie, seeing how it is so early in development. Wait and see where it goes from here.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surely Fillion's pretty much the only person for that role? :/
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    sweet, I like Mark Wahlberg.

Fillion is terrible. I liked Firefly and all... but no.
  • Slum
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    But he was so good in Max Payne! /SARCASM

I find it more worrying that DeNiro seems to be finding it impossible to get any good roles any more.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I don't mind Mark as Nathan Drake. I think it's the other changes that will make or break it.
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i thought de niro had a great role in machete ;)

and i actually like mark wahlberg as an actor much more than as a singer.
    he was pretty damn good in departed and huckabees imho.

in short, i'm fine with the cast for this movie :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Marks a good actor, he gets a LOT of stick just for his background. I admit, I do enjoy his films, and people do hate on him for the same reason they hated on Leo, he picked bad parts (DiCaprio these days, is one of my fave actors. Try telling me that 10 years ago and I would have punched you).

The trouble isnt that hes not good, its that "Drake" is so, so not "him". Its totally miscast. Also, with DeNiro, they have a possible contender for a really good Sully, yet they totally miscast him as his Dad...

It just goes to show that Hollywood, even when presented with an amazing story in a kick ass setting with fantastic characters, will STILL fuck it up... If there can't be a decent Uncharted movie (Which is, lets face it, Indy for a new generation) then there is zero hope of any game ever making a decent transition into film. Ever.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    At least it wasn't fillion. That dude can't act.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Should have got Ben Affleck. Then we could all just blame him for the reason it will be bad.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    A quote from work email.

"Could be worse - could be Uwe Boll directing. Look on the bright side ;)"

The amount Hateroraide is strong here lol. Mainly because the director is a moron who plans to change the story up a ton when Uncharted is one of the only few good story video games. Also Marky Mark isnt funny, Nathan Drake is. Should have been Fillion IMO.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Who cares.

The movie is gonna suck no matter who they cast.

When they start thinking of videogames as a meaningful medium, and not some silly kids toy, we might get some decent movies then.

Took Comic Books a longer to get their first good movies.
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    odium wrote: »

It just goes to show that Hollywood, even when presented with an amazing story in a kick ass setting with fantastic characters, will STILL fuck it up... If there can't be a decent Uncharted movie (Which is, lets face it, Indy for a new generation) then there is zero hope of any game ever making a decent transition into film. Ever.

I thought that the storytelling in Uncharted 1+2 was very good for a videogame, but as a standalone narrative it's no more than an enjoyable derivative of the movies that the games were inspired by (Indiana Jones etc.). I think it's the novelty of even functional storytelling in a game that makes people think that it's more impressive than it actually is. It was the same with Heavy Rain - more involved plots and characterisation than your average game, but if it's turned into a movie it becomes just another hackneyed Seven rip-off.

To be honest, I'm much more interested in the 'narrative' that the player creates through his actions than endless cutscenes - no matter how well scripted, acted and shot - attempting to ape Hollywood movies.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    odium wrote: »

How about we wait for the actual film to come out before we pass judgment on it? Many people thought Heath Ledger was miscast as the Joker when he was announced.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Paul, it stands to reason that if PLOT X exists and is the basis of IDEA Y, changing PLOT X to something different than what it was supposed to be, will result in IDEA Z. In other words, they have failed before they even started filming, because its NOT what the subject matter is supposed to be about. I would even go as far to say at this point that Drake wont be funny. At all. There will be a love interest who will have a total of 5 lines, all of which pointless. And the bad guy will get 5 mins screentime and be totally pathetic.

Its movie mistakes 101, and so far, this is making them all.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Not going to pass judgement before it comes out, and I'm hoping it will be a great film. At least maybe what Pirates of the Carribbean is to Monkey Island. Its where the movie will fit in that is important. Indiana Jones, Tomb Raider, National Treasure, Romancing the Crown, etc, etc. Hopefully, they'll take care of the plot and characters and create something different, but I'm pretty sceptical.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    *sigh* sure lets just ignore the fact that Nathan Fillion looks, sounds and acts JUST like Drake in the game...*idiot Hollywood*
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I thought that the storytelling in Uncharted 1+2 was very good for a videogame, but as a standalone narrative it's no more than an enjoyable derivative of the movies that the games were inspired by (Indiana Jones etc.). I think it's the novelty of even functional storytelling in a game that makes people think that it's more impressive than it actually is. It was the same with Heavy Rain - more involved plots and characterisation than your average game, but if it's turned into a movie it becomes just another hackneyed Seven rip-off.

To be honest, I'm much more interested in the 'narrative' that the player creates through his actions than endless cutscenes - no matter how well scripted, acted and shot - attempting to ape Hollywood movies.

This is saying pretty much everything I was going to say.

I feel that games do a great job of describing fantastic worlds. But as individual stories in and of themselves, not so much. But it's like that in everything really. For every Batman or Superman, how many random comic books are there that have a derivative boring story? Likewise for books, there's a ton of garbage novels out there that have *stewie voice* beginning middle and end, some friends become enemies some enemies become friends, etc.

For a movie like this, if it's anywhere as good as the original Mortal Kombat movie, I'll be happy.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Has there been any game based movie that hasn't done a whole lot of pointless dicking about with the story, besides maybe the first Mortal Kombat? I would have thought we'd be used to this by now.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    The Super Mario Movie was nothing short of a masterpiece. A shining light of progress, a beacon of modern movie-making.
  • crazyfool
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I think this guy could have been a good Nathan Drake: Thomas Jane. I thought he was good in The Mist, and he could probably do humour aswell.
  • Grums
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, Nathon Fillion would have suited perfectly. I also think Bruce Campbell would have been a great choice for Sully. The character he plays in Burn Notice reminds me of him so much.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    You should never look forward to movies that are derived from games, and also never look forward to games made from movies.

If you have no expectations then you can't be disappointed :) And to be surprised when something actually turns out to be good is also a nice feeling, so it's win/win.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Yozora wrote: »
    You should never look forward to movies that are derived from games, and also never look forward to games made from movies.

If you have no expectations then you can't be disappointed :) And to be surprised when something actually turns out to be good is also a nice feeling, so it's win/win.

In other words. Ignorance is bliss?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Who cares.

The movie is gonna suck no matter who they cast.

When they start thinking of videogames as a meaningful medium, and not some silly kids toy, we might get some decent movies then.

Took Comic Books a longer to get their first good movies.

I have a theory:

Hollywood makes so many bad movies based on games because there's so many bad games based on movies.......
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Should have got Ben Affleck.

agreed. aren't almost all male video game heroes in western games based on affleck's look anyway? ;)

marky mark is certainly entertaining. so are the stories about the apparent maniac who will be directing this. worth checking out!
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    To me, Pierce Brosnan would be the perfect Nathan Drake :/

brosnan.jpg

... and Mark Wahlberg as one of the bad guys.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    lol I bet that coke commercial sealed the deal for Brosnan to be bond. :P
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/12/drakes-fortune-mark-wahlberg-nate-drake-movie-david-russell.html
    While the video game centers on Nate Drake (a descendant of Sir Francis Drake) and his quest to find lost treasure on an island far from civilization, Russell plans on expanding the movie to include Drake's extended family -- and put them in fraught, globetrotting situations with some of the world's most influential people.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Lets ruin this movie! The game is played by changing this Synopsis to make it worse.

O.K. Marky Mark is Nathan Drake, wise cracking and terrible at combat, his sister will be the Chloe Frazer character changed into Chloe Drake, She'll be magnitudes more skilled than him; played by Angelina Jolie. The Sully character will be changed to his grandfather, Nate Drake Sr. and will be played by Jon Voight, the Grandma will be Helen Mirren, and they'll talk about her as if shes dead, except she will come at some point to save them. Nate's Dad; Nate drake Jr. will be played by Nick Cage, and his mom played by Leslie Mann, who will refer to Nate as "Nathanial" so as not to confuse him with his father. This will be very funny to his Love interest the Elana Fisher character, played by Katherine Heigl, and will be returned to later for more "comic relief".

They'll be up against Grampa's old partner turned rival who is actually his brother.
    During WW2 they found some magic compass that points to gold always, the greedy brother steals it and goes into business working for an ex Nazi hunting treasure. at the start of the flick Nate steals it back, and the family goes with him to find El Dorado, along the way they fight the evil Nazi guy, but then the great uncle decides to be good again and saves them, and then he reveals to them that they descended from Sir Francis, and the movie ends with them on a Yacht in the south pacific lounging in the sun and pulling up Francis Drakes coffin, which leads into the sequel, which bastardizes the actual games more closesly.

Or:
    DKK wrote: »
    O.K. Marky Mark is Nathan Drake.

DONE.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he wasn't bad in the Departed, aye. I much prefer his brother though. He was ace in Band of Brothers.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    As far as I know, Mark Wahlberg has never done a character with the kind of personality Nathan Drake has. Nate's a lighthearted, reckless, and friendly character. I think one of the big factors in the Uncharted series' appeal is that Nate is (in stark contrast to the lead characters in most contemporary action games and films) an easily likable guy who seems like the kind of person who would be fun to hang out with.

I have a hard time seeing Wahlberg pull that off. Seems like his element is more along the lines of standard Angry Badass McSerious.
  • Psyk0
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Video games to movies always suck. It's expected.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The book was better than the movie."
    "The game was better than the movie."
    "The soundtrack was the best part of the movie."

For an industry that pulls in so much cash and throws around so much clout they suck at besting other forums of media and at time, even itself...

"Did you see the original?"
    "Wait?! What!? This was a remake?"
    "Yea the original was way better."
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    "The idea of it is so off the charts."
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah, Fillon would have been awesome. I mean honestly, don't you guys always think of it when you see a Drake mugshot ? Even the attitude is similar (love the part when he kicks a bad guy straight into a spaceship exhaust turbine in Firefly!)
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I'd rather have Jensen Ackles than Fillion or Wahlberg
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Fillion hands down. I mean comon! he wants it so bad! you heard him at the pre-show of the VGA's? I mean the guy was crying from the inside when he tried talking nice about walberg. He would have loved to play this character! the guy is a geek and I love him for it. ahhwel, on the other hand, fillion is saved from a trainwreck of a movie.