Home Technical Talk

Blender game rig, input needed

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
Hey Polycounters

I would like to have some input (from the Blender affine I guess) on this humanoid game rig I have been working on lately:

http://opengameart.org/content/blender25-humanoid-rig

The main discussion is over at OpenGameArt.org:

http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/unified-blender-game-rig

But we seem to lack the expertise to really decide if it is a good setup or not.

Still a lot to do on that rig, but the main functionality is there I guess, but please correct me if I am wrong on that.

I would like to have both input from riggers as well as animators to decided what to improve.

Thanks a lot!

Replies

• James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't looked yet but I'll check it out at home later. Have you considered building just a deformation rig and making it compatible with Nathan's rigify setup? I'd probably take this approach since that setup appears to be what will be included in all future blender builds and therefore likely to get the most suppport. The modularity of it looks nice too - though it is kindof a WIP at the moment (shrug). If I were to build my own I'd probably go this route and script a deformation rig that auto generates to match the rigify setup. Path of least resistance and all that. =]
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The rigify system seems nice, but for a standard humanoid I don't really think it is necessary. Besides this is really more of a first step to create a set of reusable game animations, and unless rigify will have scripted animations... ;)

But any input is highly appreciated... currently we have a bit of a disagreement in regards to the use of an "active" (IK based) shoulder or not. I think it is a very nice feature to have the shoulder move with the arm automatically, but the current implementation is not perfect yet.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the hand and the shoulder rig... would really like to have an input on if the shoulder is actually usable for animation.