Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique

Hey guys

As the title states I am looking for critique on my just finished web portfolio.

I'm still in school and this is aimed for finding an internship in the gaming industry as a character/asset artist.

My school is mostly centered around movies and shorts, so I haven't been doing alot of game characters sadly - but I am about to start a new one soon.

I like the overall layout of the site, but I am for example unsure about the "other" tab. Should I remove it? Should I not have 2D pictures there, and instead just rearrange my "old" blog that I link to and make that dedicated to 2D?

Tell me what ever you think:

http://jonasgeorgakakis.blogspot.com/

Thanks

Replies

• IdiotDrummerGuy
    It would be nice to have seen your first character on the page posed somehow, or have it lower on the stack.

Good job with Maenad, the high poly sculpt is really clean, both in quality of work and appearance. Maybe dirty her up a bit for some fine detail?

Great stuff man, I just wish there were more >_> best of luck
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the feedback - although, as I wrote above the video, I didnt do the animations :/ ...guess I need to make that more obvious :)

Ive just resently rigged the top character - gonna get someone to animate him and throw that up - thanks.
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Maenad zbrush sculpt is amazing, great pose and flow of the loose fitting clothing also I like the hard surface on the gun. I would love to see this one low poly and textured.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's some pretty solid material up front. I agree that a couple other game characters would help it overall though.

I would change the "Other" section to a dedicated Stills section and have subsections of that dedicated to each asset, miscellaneous, and your 2d work.

The thing that sort of stands out for me is that you have a couple quick turntables of these characters, but not as many high resolution stills to really get a good look at your work. Make a wire render for your pieces. Perhaps a breakdown of some of the more complex elements, and perhaps a few other small pieces that you may want to show but don't necessarily need a turntable.

Some great work though. You should be able to find something.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments

TrentSnow: Would you feel that my time was best spent on a new character or would it be better to add textures to the maenad?(I dont think Ill ever get to make her lowpoly with that exoskeleton - she was never meant as a game character but more as a "look, I can use Zbrush" because I was short on time)

Arcanox: So, you would add more high res pictures of the characters. As in close up of different areas for example?

And regarding the breakdowns, do you mean, fx, I make a quick showing of the Marnad gun or exoskeleton or am I misunderstanding you?

Thanks, and sorry for the questions :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Solid stuff man love your style!

i got no crits the website is perfect hope to see more stuff from you in the future.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Basically what I was getting at is that if they'd like to see more beyond what is on the first page, they really don't have the option of doing so.

Any closeups of your gun detail, character detail, are great. The absolute must have is still images of your wireframes. Often they don't want to look at your wires in a moving format with potential blurring or compression issues. If they could sit down and take a long look at them without dealing with that, it would be great.

By breakdowns, I mean a demonstration of how you constructed your geometry for the Maenad character. If you can show a few images of the leg mechanisms in isolation without any other obstructions, along with the gun in isolation, that would be good to include.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very impressive!
  • Charlie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the layout you have with the picture then next to it a video of the character. Brings life to the page!

I feel like you could get rid of the other page. It doesn't seem to serve a purpose and feels completely unnecessary for a portfolio site.
  • attattattack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    attattattack polycounter lvl 8
    Man, your stuff is awesome, I like your style in the first character.
    the sculpt is nice and clean.
    Clean and simple web layout.

Well, like what you and others already said, get some game models in there, show wires and textures and renders.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the nice feeback, guys - Ill get to it with more stuff and added wires.
  • VidGameDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for once i wish someone used max like i do...
    i need a teacher cause god knows self teaching ain't getting me nowhere ¬_¬

other than that, this is the kinda stuff i want to work towards; disproportionate characters or cartoonish types.

good job!
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VidGameDude: Dont give up though. Practice practice practice. For me, learning Maya was nowhere near a liniar curve. Alot of things just begang falling into place when you finally feel comfortable in a 3D package
  • TrentSnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JGcount- I would think one of your strongest pieces should be a complete piece if your wanting to show an employer, but it's up to you, if it's not set to be made a game character then
    that's fine, it still looks awesome how you have it. :)