Sweeeeeeeeeeet! Awesome work, folks!
  • TheBladeRoden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You lucky winners you...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow I thought these released already, I guess it took some time to get them in. Still infinitely faster than a DW or UC contest heh...
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    "Flash forward a few months, and we're proud to introduce the in-game Mann Co. Store. And, because we'd hate to satisfy the bean counters completely, we've decided community item contributors will get paid based on the sales of their items. So you can make some f$*&ing money already too."

amazing

swizzle will be rich!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Only question I have for this store idea is, how are they going to hand weapons en masse? Seems like this would only work for visual upgrades and not powers.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    aesir wrote: »
    swizzle will be rich!
    I didn't have any items chosen for the Polycount pack, they're only paying the Polycount pack people right now, I only have the Pain Train in the game and it's easily gotten through drops or crafting.

I expect about $0.50 in my bank account around six months from now when some silly newbie gets it in his head that you have to buy items or you don't get them.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Swizzle wrote: »
    I didn't have any items chosen for the Polycount pack, they're only paying the Polycount pack people right now, I only have the Pain Train in the game and it's easily gotten through drops or crafting.

I expect about $0.50 in my bank account around six months from now when some silly newbie gets it in his head that you have to buy items or you don't get them.

shit really? I dunno, I just expected with all the stuff you make, you'd have about 10 items in there by now.

Well, the pain train is still dope.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Swizzle wrote: »

Are they even adding the original contribution items to that percentage pay out. I signed off on the polycount stuff but I didnt see any mention of getting stuff for the Hound Dog.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing job to everyone involved. Shall I say....Valve worthy?
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Too bad I uninstalled the game, would've loved to see some of these fantastic creations online.
  • ianucci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ianucci polycounter lvl 9
    Progg wrote: »
    Are they even adding the original contribution items to that percentage pay out. I signed off on the polycount stuff but I didnt see any mention of getting stuff for the Hound Dog.

Says in the FAQ that initially this will be limited to the polycount pack so they can work out any teething problems. The other community items will be added sometime in the future.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    neolith wrote: »
    Too bad I uninstalled the game, would've loved to see some of these fantastic creations online.
    There's something wrong with you.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now I regret not getting a polycount pin =(
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    now I regret not getting a polycount pin =(

Polycount pin? Whaaaa?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful work people, love it!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I don't have any of my items yet :( ..including the pin
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried getting my pin a few minutes ago. No dice.
  • Klumpmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man the polycount price is pretty pricey haha!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Pin isn't out yet it seems. I've played for 2 hours and crafted to make sure the servers are working. They are. The model is in-game so they must be busy with real issues and not a silly pin.

Anyway wait a week. It will surely come.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man the polycount price is pretty pricey haha!

Um. It's a free update.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, a very similar hat to mines got into polypack, I'm even thinking they remodeled somehow! See for yourself:
    jlaU9.jpg

and mine:

bqy0U.jpg
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    Spiffy stuff everyone, seems I'm going to have to make a steam account now. :)
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Sooooooooooooooooooooo, does this mean the Polycount TF 2 server is coming back up? Because, then I'll actually play again :>

Please?
    pwease.jpg
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    jakelear wrote: »
    There's something wrong with you.
    :poly142: Maybe. :)
    But now that the game has an item shop I don't see myself re-installing it. So I guess I'll keep admiring the models posted here rather than ingame.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Bought my Polypack, obviously!

Gotta say though, I really think they should remove hats from the set bonuses.

With the amount of time it takes to gather enough metal to craft a hat, and a class token...only to have a chance at possibly getting the set bonus hat. ehhhhhhh I think most league players would have to buy at least the hat just to stay competitive.

Also, while I love the new hats with my new gear, eventually I'm going to want to have my set bonus but use a different hat to differentiate myself from the others. Having the hat as part of the set bonus kind of puts us all back to being uniform again.

Aside from that, I love the update. I hope Valve and the contributors here make some good loot off of this all. The Solder Pack truly changes the class, I LOVE IT.
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I want to know is what happened to the bonus surprise polycount pack they said they were releasing as well?
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    Monkeez wrote: »
    What I want to know is what happened to the bonus surprise polycount pack they said they were releasing as well?

AGREED.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Fragus wrote: »
    Damn, a very similar hat to mines got into polypack, I'm even thinking they remodeled somehow! See for yourself:
    There was a solly on the server I was on earlier running around with an Indian headdress too. Couldn't get close enough to see whether it was the one from the polypack comp. Did that ever get submitted?
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17

I just wanted to get my hands on your maraca's.

Um..that didn't come out right. :|
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It came out just right, oh yeah.
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    There was a solly on the server I was on earlier running around with an Indian headdress too. Couldn't get close enough to see whether it was the one from the polypack comp. Did that ever get submitted?

Yeah, It was from my pack, Fleurs D'Or
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73079&highlight=Fragus
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19

You made a head-dress? Where in that link above is the head-dress? And if you're talking about the fancy military hat, yours and the one in the game now look nothing a like?
  • 55joe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    % of sales from community made items – starting with the Polycount Pack – go directly to that items author.

valve is so badass. this is pure genius.

my only question is, when is the second contest coming?
  • Fragus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    You made a head-dress? Where in that link above is the head-dress? And if you're talking about the fancy military hat, yours and the one in the game now look nothing a like?
    I said it was awfully familiar, with the same color scheme, design aspects (golden buttons on sides) and idea. I just want to know who modeled it. It was one of a kind in this contest, if not, please show me another thread, made before mines describing and modeling this hat. I'm quite offended by your tone adam, I understand your stress with the contest, but being all defensive and rude is unnecessary.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I believe the hat in the game that looks similar to your hat Fragus (in colour only) was made by Valve. I highly doubt they "stole" from yours or were inspired by it, as they look nothing alike mesh wise. Claiming that they copied "red and gold colour" is just dim.

Anyway, you did submit them and Valve said they'll be taking from the library of submissions in the time to come, so who knows, maybe your gun and stuff will get in.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/30/team-fortress-2-now-selling-items-for-real-money-massive-update-just-launched/#comments
    The new game mode is not in this update
    Robin previously told us there’d be a new game mode in the next TF2 update, but in the end they didn’t have time to finish it. They were also planning to add one more pack of Polycount items, but since they relate to the new game mode, they left those out too.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I said it was awfully familiar, with the same color scheme, design aspects (golden buttons on sides) and idea. I just want to know who modeled it. It was one of a kind in this contest, if not, please show me another thread, made before mines describing and modeling this hat. I'm quite offended by your tone adam, I understand your stress with the contest, but being all defensive and rude is unnecessary.

My tone? I was just stating that your entry and this hat don't look a like other than being the same type of hat is all. No stress here. :)
  • MegaMoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MegaMoogle polycounter lvl 9
    That is a very common type of hat that's used in militaries and marching bands. You can't claim to own the intellectual property of something so common, if it were more unique then I'd be more sympathetic, but I agree that it's only similar because they're both Shako hats.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just bought the .50 cent Rocket Jumper to get the free hat... pro tip: do not use the rocket jumper in-game, it does no damage to enemies but gets you killed very very very very fast :(

some of the new additions are pretty intriguing, like the supply crates/ paint cans, but dueling! though if you can onlly duel after you find/craft/buy the mini-game then I don't know how many people will even get to try it. Also a little surprised to see that some items/packs cost more the freakin game! I mean really? $17 for a hat? Really?!? :poly122:
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    just bought the .50 cent Rocket Jumper to get the free hat... pro tip: do not use the rocket jumper in-game, it does no damage to enemies but gets you killed very very very very fast :(

some of the new additions are pretty intriguing, like the supply crates/ paint cans, but dueling! though if you can onlly duel after you find/craft/buy the mini-game then I don't know how many people will even get to try it. Also a little surprised to see that some items/packs cost more the freakin game! I mean really? $17 for a hat? Really?!? :poly122:

Millions of people paid 25$ for a WoW mount... So why not 17$? People will buy it... Gotta have the digital gear.

Grats once again to those who got in! I still have fingers crossed that I could get into the next batch.:)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I sent a message to Mr Robin to see if he has an answer in regards to the pins. Stay tuned.

Edit:

"I hope to get to delivering them this weekend. Sorry, we've been really busy on the update.

Robin."
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    jlaU9.jpg

and mine:
    bqy0U.jpg

lol, are you serious?
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    I guess they're similar in that they're both hats....
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishing for recognition much?

Anyway, booted up the game, looked at prices: 17,5 EUROS for a hat? damn, glad I can still get it for free :P

Not so much interest in playing though :/ needs more polycount server :>
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    @fragus I think he meand the Indian Headdress, not your hat
    The headdress that is Indian, y'know
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    I could start the unofficial PC server up again if that helps. Though until I can get this new processor in* kinda on the fence as Im running the Polycount L4d2 server along with some servers for our own game is IMO just at the stress point of the server. Dont forget the L4d/2 new DLC comes out next week so I expect that to especially be hit hard soon.

(I.E. I dont want people to join and then whine about lag).

*Attempting on getting help creating a custom Bios so can use this new quad core. So I may end up bricking it if fails until get new ROM chip.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Are you folks who've gotten random hats into the game alongside the Polycount pack getting any kind of financial reward? I can see a number of hats that came through here, most notably (well the one I remember most clearly at least) Zipfinator's Demoman crash helmet.

If they're getting money in to this whole business, Valve are going to have to be pretty careful in not screwing over some people while paying others. I mean they can obviously do whatever they feel like with the setup they've got going, legally speaking, but it's not going to do the community much good if some folks are getting paid and some aren't.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Woo! Polycount pin/badge!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    at first when I heard of the Mann Co store I thought it was shady as fuck on Valves part to be selling the awesome Polycount Pack stuff when they didn't make the items.

but then further reading showed me how foolish it was to ever doubt how great Valve is when a % of the money is going to the guys who made the items. im sure most of the cash dose go to valve and the % is very small for the authors because hey its a business but still its pretty sweet they would even give that let alone do these community contests that get peoples great work in there game
  • Monkeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still haven't got my pin :(.