Home General Discussion

Dead Rising 2

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Anybody else pick it up? I have to say thus far I'm... Toooorn... I had the stupid idea of picking it up on PC, but man what a sloppy PC port, ugh... Shame its not using the MT Framework engine like other Capcom titles, because it runs pretty bad and has some terrible visuals (Not to mention no filtering on any 2d stuff at all, which is totally not cool. You would think when the damn CAPCOM logo came up and it had a million pixelated errors on it they would have said "gee, this looks pretty shite eh?").

The game is pretty much the original, with a lot of fixes and changes. Sadly you still get timed in doing everything which means you will either love it or hate it, and if you fail a mission thats it, you wont get another try unless you reload the save. Its annoying in many ways but its what makes Dead Rising, well, Dead Rising. Its a shame they couldn't just drop you in this awesome zombie filled world and just let you take your time and repeat missions at your own pace, it would make the coop so much more interesting. (Infinite mode from the original game has been removed I head :( )

So yeah, so far its a fairly average game that has its quirky moments, with some mixed appalling/nice graphics, but the PC port is awful. Its out, legally, in the UK atm for PC. I'm playing a retail copy atm, but I purchased it over Steam (which wont unlock until Monday) which reminds me, the release was totally ballsed up, too...

Anyway, anybody else pick it up? Whats it like on 360/PS3? Does it have some terrible frame rate issues randomly for no reason on there, too?

Replies

• danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the first dead rising is, in my view (which happens to be endorsed by the english parliament, UNICEF, the WHO, The Who, and various other major organisations around the world) , officially The Worst Game Of All Time. Since this one repeats the timed nature of the original, it's clearly beyond contempt. But i'm not going to criticise it, who'd criticise a game they haven't played? That'd be weird. Anyway. Pile of shit. Get it away from me. So there.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Yes but, you have to admit, it has its charms... Like dressing up in a skirt and heels and killing zombies with stuffed toys. You just don't get that in Left 4 Dead.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    indeed, it would quite possibly be The Best Game Of All Time if the designers (sent by the Devil onto the earth to do bad works) hadn't decided to punish the player if they decide to take a bit of time out to have some fun.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I've always had a hatred of timed stuff in games, hell, I still haven't beaten Majoras Mask simply because the clock that looks at you all the time scared me off... :(

So yeah, I totally agree. If it was the same game, just with no time limit and pick up and play missions, it would be so epic... Its a shame really :(
  • psychoticprankster
    after you do all the missions you unlock an unlimited time mode where you can just do as you please >.<, first it gives you an extra day and then it gives you unlimited time. or so im told.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    after you do all the missions you unlock an unlimited time mode where you can just do as you please >.<, first it gives you an extra day and then it gives you unlimited time. or so im told.

Yeah it did, but by the time you've got around to doing that, you are totally tired of it... But like I said above, I *think* infinite mode was removed, this time :(
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    First one -> 100% achievements (I even babysit it for 14 hours to get the 2nd last achievement). Worst Best Game sums it up.

Still don't know if I will pick it up. It irks me that 360 gets Exclusive dlc (I've converted to PS3 since I'm on my 3rd 360), That and Rock band 3 and GT5 is around the corner and huge money sinks that go alone with it.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    I played Case 0 and felt that the full game was going to make me go deliver medicine to the daughter every 12 hours. That put me right off.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Flava-Fly wrote: »
    I played Case 0 and felt that the full game was going to make me go deliver medicine to the daughter every 12 hours. That put me right off.
    I dont know about DR2, but DR1 had some pretty cool plot twists taking the game in a whole different direction every day that passed. I hope its the same for DR2!

Heh, kind of funny that Dead Rising is a true love/hate it game, DR1 is certainly in my top 3 of favorite X360 games!
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I had fun with Dead Rising. Will get Dead Rising 2.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Flava-Fly wrote: »

That would be stupid...

...its every 24 hours.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Picked it up for PC on retail, yet i can't play yet as GFWL says it's only available monday at midnight. No surprise at the shoddy PC port, they'll claim bad PC sales next and blame piracy.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Dead rising 1 was good.
    I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS ARE TALKING ABOUT.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Dead rising 1 was good.

Some people bought it or tried it not realizing that its a zombie apocalypse simulator toned down a bit so its not too brutally punishing.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Edge gave Dead Rising 2 a 7/10 (Which isn't a bad score at all), and they don't even list the PC version :P

I loved the first version. I think I have to get this. Or Enslaved...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch wrote: »
    Dead rising 1 was good.

I'll gladly give up my right to dress up like a school girl and throw stuffed animals at zombies if it means I don't have to deal with the following:

[rant]
    The save system was horribly misconceived.

Some of the directions given and boss fights where downright retarded or just missing. Not to mention here's a big sandbox but oh yea you won't be able to explore it until after we've driven you to toss your controller through the wall.

No option to say "opps dropped my phone during last attack, sorry I missed your call". Every 6ft some idiot would call then get pissed because I didn't pick up. Fuck the hell off Otis (or whatever the hell your name was) make yourself useful and get your ass down here. Toss yourself to some zombies while I clear off a few missions.

The taking photos thing was just pointless, oh you get PP points! First thing people do when facing a zombie apocalypse is adjust their vocation to skull smasher. Not play Barbie dress up and fashion shoot with the undead.

Weapons wear out. Awesome... so this thing that I risked life and limb to get, turns to crap and finally breaks... awesome. So... Zombies can respawn like crazy but weapons don't?

Combos didn't always work like they should. If I remember correctly some where only trigger-able when zombies where in specific places in relation to the player. Meaning that as they or the player moved the combo might or might not work. That also meant, if you're going to practice the move you had to be in danger, which made it was pretty likely that trying to use advanced moves was going to get you killed... normally not a problem with regular save system. So that means sticking to what works, which is boring repetition.

I just cleared this place and now its full again... this is why we can't have people over.

I liked the demo, it was lacking a lot of the annoying features. But I felt rooked because what I bought wasn't as fun as what I was playing the week before. I'm pretty sure I ground final game disc into a fine powder, mixed the powder with some left over fireworks, blowing it hell and back, then pissed on the scorch mark.
    [/rant]

The good news is it sounds like most of the super annoying issues have been tweaked and that they listened to many an outraged fan. I'll still wait a good long while before I pick it up.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely getting it.

I played a lot of Case Zero and loved it. It's kept in tact all of what was good about Dead Rising, added stuff and fixed some of the problems.

I still love Dead Rising even with its faults. With a slightly improved save system, DR2 shouldn't be as much of a pain.

The time based stuff can be annoying, but it's also a really interesting experience. Not a lot of games use time based systems so it leads to some unique gameplay underneath the pain of being time restricted. I like that it forces decisions too. Do you save X or stock up on Y. Lots of risk and reward.:poly142:
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Really enjoying it but not really a fan of the toilet saves and timed missions. Really wish they'd let you save anywhere.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I'll gladly give up my right to dress up like a school girl and throw stuffed animals at zombies if it means I don't have to deal with the following:

[rant]
    The save system was horribly misconceived.

Some of the directions given and boss fights where downright retarded or just missing. Not to mention here's a big sandbox but oh yea you won't be able to explore it until after we've driven you to toss your controller through the wall.

No option to say "opps dropped my phone during last attack, sorry I missed your call". Every 6ft some idiot would call then get pissed because I didn't pick up. Fuck the hell off Otis (or whatever the hell your name was) make yourself useful and get your ass down here. Toss yourself to some zombies while I clear off a few missions.

The taking photos thing was just pointless, oh you get PP points! First thing people do when facing a zombie apocalypse is adjust their vocation to skull smasher. Not play Barbie dress up and fashion shoot with the undead.

Weapons wear out. Awesome... so this thing that I risked life and limb to get, turns to crap and finally breaks... awesome. So... Zombies can respawn like crazy but weapons don't?

Combos didn't always work like they should. If I remember correctly some where only trigger-able when zombies where in specific places in relation to the player. Meaning that as they or the player moved the combo might or might not work. That also meant, if you're going to practice the move you had to be in danger, which made it was pretty likely that trying to use advanced moves was going to get you killed... normally not a problem with regular save system. So that means sticking to what works, which is boring repetition.

I just cleared this place and now its full again... this is why we can't have people over.

I liked the demo, it was lacking a lot of the annoying features. But I felt rooked because what I bought wasn't as fun as what I was playing the week before. I'm pretty sure I ground final game disc into a fine powder, mixed the powder with some left over fireworks, blowing it hell and back, then pissed on the scorch mark.
    [/rant]

The good news is it sounds like most of the super annoying issues have been tweaked and that they listened to many an outraged fan. I'll still wait a good long while before I pick it up.
    Personally none of these things bothered me, and the save system worked fine IMO. I understand why you would not like these things, but personally, I was not phased.Taking photos WAS pointless, but you didn't HAVE to do it, did you? No. It was just an extra feature. The only thing that you mention that really DID bother me was yes, you had to do some missions before you had free reign. That was annoying. Other than that I loved the game.
    :O
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Game kicks ass on the 360!! Yeah, as some are saying the map arrow is a bit stupid when it comes to pointing you to the quickest route, it did mean bringing up the map a few times to see where to go which pauses the game. No complaints really, except that the end boss is a bastard to beat fair and square so I cheated :p The other psychopaths are maybe too easy though.
    The save system? I thought it was great, a few times I saved away from base, not too many but it didn't worry me anyway. Being able to save anywhere would have made it less of a challenge (boring) and you would have sailed through, especially when it comes to the end parts of the game when it's hard to dodge zombies.

8/10 nothing really memorable but lots of constant fun:poly142:
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    The timed stuff bugs me. Always has, its a race against the clock constantly, especially at lower levels. I also am not a fan of the level cap.

As for 2 specifically.
    The "end" boss before the real "end boss" (on S rank ending), is retarded. I can't shoot you with a gun? I can't hit you with a weapon? I can't hit you with my fist? FTW? Seriously took 40 minutes to beat him because it would only let myself and my roommate hit him once out of 50 attacks and thats only if he didn't pull ultra ninja and throw you off the platform for like the 1000th time.

I have it on PS3, it runs smooth and co-op has had only a couple connectivity issues. The only problems I've had is a choppy frame rate driving the H1 through an alleyway with about 200 zombies. And its frozen on me 3 times now...

Personally as far as the rest of the game. A gun should hurt a person more than a zombie unless its a head shot for romero style zombies...which these are...sort of.

I can see a display sword becoming useless after whacking a few zombies, even a bat snapping, but the H1 breaking after a thousand zombies?
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stuff

Did you try the shit kick? If you shit kick him it's super easy.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, but later attacks pretty much are the only ones that sort of work.

They seriously should have just let you whup his ass with the S.A.W. or ya know, any other weapon in the game...but whatever. super ninja vulnerable only to the hillbilly fighting style >.>
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont wrote: »
    I had fun with Dead Rising. Will get Dead Rising 2.

Yeah, I am surprised by all the hate floating this thread right now. I feel that Dead Rising gave me what Resident Evil 5 should have. I played both, did not finished RE5, but totally excited about this game. I had no idea it came out, and will get DR2 soon!