Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio - big update

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Davision3D polycounter
Because basicly everyone hates the bar of my current website and flash is a bad way to go with because of several reasons I will make a new simple html website.

new design:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/newdesing6.html
first 3 are already click able.

Here is my old flash website:
http://www.vitamin3d.com/
Everything after the Eygtian Warlord is new.
Under extras is also a sculptures gallery with lots of unpolished stuff. New added there is everything after the womans head which is after the 3 green monster heads.
Hope you like the new stuff.

On a related note, im working as a freelance artist and looking for jobs, if your company is currently looking for help plz let me know.

Replies

• GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    The lightbar-type thing at the bottom has got to go. Very glitchy for me and a major pain in the butt.

Well-arranged static thumbnails are still the gold standard...
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    yeah, death do that bat the bottom. It was really freaking out on me and doesn't work properly.
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, there is lovely work there but it's too small, I cant save images and you don't tell me what the project was for or any specs. Is this site to get a job or just a nice gallery? Because it is a nice gallery!
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Work looks good from what I can tell, but your navigation and presentation are incredibly frustrating to browse.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    it's hard to pick stuff with that scrolling bar. Take it away. Just show the work.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i didn't even bother looking at the art because of that damn bar T_T
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Alright, looks like no one can use that navi. :(
    Can i get away with leaving the design of the bar but changing how its controlled? Making buttons on each end to scroll the bar for instance or a usual scoll bar below the thumbs instead?

If you want to give it another try, the trick is to enter the bar again where you left it, this way it doesnt jump to that other position. If your mouse position is at the left it will also jump to the thumbs at the left. Because its so many thumbs now it has become very quick, slight mouse position changes already make it move far.
    Yeah, there is lovely work there but it's too small, I cant save images and you don't tell me what the project was for or any specs. Is this site to get a job or just a nice gallery? Because it is a nice gallery!
    There are often "click here for more" buttons under the images where you can find more information. It should be just my portfolio.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    ehhh, lose the flash folio entirely. Just use thumbnails and images! Even if the bar wasn't jittering and going crazy, I cant save your images because they're in a flash pane. There is some good art in there, and you're not doing yourself any favors by using this flash driven interface.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, I'll add my voice to the many that are saying that the work is great, but the presentation is extremely frustrating. Just keep it simple. Thumbnails that link to separate pages with the images or launch new tabs. As of right now, you're doing yourself a huge disservice with that bar.

EDIT: Heh, Slum basically said exactly what I was said while I was typing
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also put all your best stuff in the front and honestly you actually have too much stuff in my opinion. Get like 6-10 of your best and that's it. Some of your stuff is great and then you got somethings in there that make me go "why is this here?" It's going to make people think you don't know what's really good vs okay.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flash is also worrysome if the person browsing portfolios is using an iphone, i'm not sure that they do, just sayin. Your also sacrificing speed for style, and i'm not sure its worth it.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    I didnt like that bar either but you did have some nice pieces of work i like the gun that you did. Want I really wanted to see was more wires and texture sheets for your work.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    love the work overall. nice style
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, your work is pretty good, now it's time to work on the presentation. I bet after you fix this, you'll have less trouble finding work.

Also, it might be a good idea to put your name, website, and email address in the corner of every portfolio image. This way, if your work is saved they will still know who created it.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Here's my experience...

Took a bit to finally get my cursor over the cannoneer thumbnail..

Clicked it.

Waited a bit for the image to go through the little animation of it rendering...

Clicked on it for more....

Then a little pop-up came up for more images...(I thought my previous click was for more images)...then I clicked that.

Then a NEW tab opened up...disabling my "Back" button on my mouse and making me scroll up to close this new tab...(yeah...I know...I'm lazy) with the actual images.

That's too much, a simple thumbnail to a new page with all your images would have been more than enough.

Overall your work is really good, I just don't know how many people are actually going to sit there and go through the website, it's a bit frustrating.

I have nothing to do and even then I only really looked at 2 images...the cannoneer and the zombie head, which is pretty fucking awesome, btw!

Like most have said, just get rid of that bar, you're trying to sell your 3d not your flash skills.
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    Whoah you have sooo many stuff lol i didnt know where to click <_<
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    ok, i think i go for a new simple html website. Also thought about seperating it a bit then, like a characters and creatures thumbnail gallery and a environments and objects gallery. My main focus is character art but im also doing quite a lot of other 3d stuff.
    Also put all your best stuff in the front and honestly you actually have too much stuff in my opinion. Get like 6-10 of your best and that's it. Some of your stuff is great and then you got somethings in there that make me go "why is this here?" It's going to make people think you don't know what's really good vs okay.
    The order is currently mostly chronological but the zombiehead is just at the end because he is so "gross". :) I think i will get rid of all that old simple flash games artwork and the robot, he is actually my very firt normal mapped character.
    flash is also worrysome if the person browsing portfolios is using an iphone, i'm not sure that they do, just sayin. Your also sacrificing speed for style, and i'm not sure its worth it.
    yea simply doesnt work on a iphone and ipad.
    ajr2764 wrote: »
    I didnt like that bar either but you did have some nice pieces of work i like the gun that you did. Want I really wanted to see was more wires and texture sheets for your work.
    will do something about that for the new version of the website.
    Ruz wrote: »
    love the work overall. nice style
    thx, first one doesnt mentioning the bar! :D
    Yeah, your work is pretty good, now it's time to work on the presentation. I bet after you fix this, you'll have less trouble finding work.

Also, it might be a good idea to put your name, website, and email address in the corner of every portfolio image. This way, if your work is saved they will still know who created it.
    yea, good idea
    Here's my experience...

Took a bit to finally get my cursor over the cannoneer thumbnail..

Clicked it.

Waited a bit for the image to go through the little animation of it rendering...

Clicked on it for more....

Then a little pop-up came up for more images...(I thought my previous click was for more images)...then I clicked that.

Then a NEW tab opened up...disabling my "Back" button on my mouse and making me scroll up to close this new tab...(yeah...I know...I'm lazy) with the actual images.

That's too much, a simple thumbnail to a new page with all your images would have been more than enough.

Overall your work is really good, I just don't know how many people are actually going to sit there and go through the website, it's a bit frustrating.

I have nothing to do and even then I only really looked at 2 images...the cannoneer and the zombie head, which is pretty fucking awesome, btw!

Like most have said, just get rid of that bar, you're trying to sell your 3d not your flash skills.
    yea, the extra images on top of that hardcoded flash stuff is also messy.
    Jungsik wrote: »
    Whoah you have sooo many stuff lol i didnt know where to click <_<
    hehe, try to start at the left ;)
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    is not the 90s anymore. No need to go over board on a site. It looks nice tho. My only problem is that the flash elements on it make it so hard to navigate.

here is a site i really like.
    http://www.fx81.com/
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Man, you got some great work in there, but the scrolling bar is a major pain.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    i would agree on the scrolling bar. I really enjoy barontieri's site. I would try to keep a portfolio site as simple as possible

http://www.barontieri.com/
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I made a new design mockup, tried to keep it simple but still creative looking:
    designnew.jpg

this is how it would look as a actual page: http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/testdesign.html
    The thumbs should then open a very simple page with all the images/content belonging to that project or artwork.

@ Raul
    looks nice but im not a fan of such huge "thumbnails".

@ Poffington
    Looks good but having all the artwork simply on a page in fullsize is a killer if you would open it on a iphone or similiar and looks kinda lazy putting just everything on a page. ;)
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    So much better!! i like it
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Jungsik wrote: »
    So much better!! i like it
    thx

I will go with that design, maybe getting rid of the black borders around the thumbs though.
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    100 percent better
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Waaaaaaaaaay better dude. I dont like plain white, but I like how you did the tint of blue in the corner. Maybe a few more splotches of light blue here and their? Its headinging in the right direction for sure dude!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Polished the design more, more blueish is added to it too:
    http://www.vitamin3d.com/newdesing4.html
    Also made a new arrangement for the thumbs and left some older work out there. The Gargoyle is already clickable. The content page is very simple so the artwork stands on its own. For the gargoyle i made a new breakdown image with texture flats and wire.
  • SadamHu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just getting a tonne of dead links in Chrome. Unless I was looking at the same time you updating the site lol.
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice. I just say you need bigger thumbnails for the front page.
  • James9475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im getting a lot of dead links in chrome, form the stuff I did see, Id say theres a problem with the range of quality you have, you have some stuff thats really nice and some stuff thats really not good, I would take away the stuff that isnt your very very best, simple :)
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    well the only thumb working yet is the gargoyle. I guess the thread title is very misleading by now. Still working on it.
    nice. I just say you need bigger thumbnails for the front page.
    I think they are big enough to give a impression of whats behind it, more purpose they dont need IMO.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    perna wrote: »
    I never quite understood why people want to "design" their portfolio pages. Is everyone applying for web design jobs on the side?
    Because they like to be creative? I think its a good thing if it also shows in the design of a website and it isnt too hard to design a website.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say go simpler still, and with a dark background, because that will put focus on the art.

You gotta remember what this site is for, its not for showing off itself, but for showing off your work.

So I would say simplify to the point where you cannot simplify more, and focus entirely on the presentation of your work. Make the thumbnails bigger, so people see your work the instant they arrive on your site.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    http://peperaart.com/

Important text straight away + stamped images + no thumbnails = Portfolio win.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    bbob wrote: »
    I would say go simpler still, and with a dark background, because that will put focus on the art.

You gotta remember what this site is for, its not for showing off itself, but for showing off your work.

So I would say simplify to the point where you cannot simplify more, and focus entirely on the presentation of your work. Make the thumbnails bigger, so people see your work the instant they arrive on your site.
    Well thats why i made the actual artwork pages very simple, you can see that when you click on the first thumb. Shouldnt be too hard to see the thumbnails and associate the art with it instantly. I think im gonna make the header stuff smaller so it doesnt stand so big above the thumbs.
    Slum wrote: »
    http://peperaart.com/

Important text straight away + stamped images + no thumbnails = Portfolio win.
    Really!? Maybe he was just lazy. ;)
    I dont like to scroll through just huge images without any overview and then in contrast to that this really tiny text put on top of it. Its not user friendly at all, espcecially when you think about netbooks and other small screen devices. Also, you dont have a fast internet connection given everywhere.
  • Springare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 tip tho, mute the "Gargoyle show-reel" that sound ruins your entire portfolio, anyone watching it will get a much much worse experience watching your work when they here it.

Other then that it looks awesome, and you are a talented artist. I'm planing to redo my own portfolio as well since it is crap ('^^.) and I been thinking about something similar.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    DAvidson , slum gave a perfect example of a great portfolio , maybe not "creative" and "lazy" but , he worked on his art rather than spend lots of time on fancy stuff for his portfolio . Right now your portfolio reads as amateurish in terms of design , blue weirdass background , thumbnails that increase the number of clicks exponentially to get to your work , etc. IT seems like it was made in the 90´s.

Of course this is just personal taste as what i like to see in portfolios , and Paul´s is a perfect example of one to me , but its all up to you , since its your portfolio :D good luck !
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Springare wrote: »
    1 tip tho, mute the "Gargoyle show-reel" that sound ruins your entire portfolio, anyone watching it will get a much much worse experience watching your work when they here it.

Other then that it looks awesome, and you are a talented artist. I'm planing to redo my own portfolio as well since it is crap ('^^.) and I been thinking about something similar.
    thx, good point about the sound, really not fit in there.
    Johny wrote: »
    DAvidson , slum gave a perfect example of a great portfolio , maybe not "creative" and "lazy" but , he worked on his art rather than spend lots of time on fancy stuff for his portfolio . Right now your portfolio reads as amateurish in terms of design , blue weirdass background , thumbnails that increase the number of clicks exponentially to get to your work , etc. IT seems like it was made in the 90´s.

Of course this is just personal taste as what i like to see in portfolios , and Paul´s is a perfect example of one to me , but its all up to you , since its your portfolio :D good luck !
    Dont think my portfolio is in any way fancy. I cant understand how 1 click on a thumbnail is already too much!? Are people already that lazy surfing in the internet? :D
    I get the point though that its an advantage being able to see your resume instantly while being able to scroll through all your artwork in a matter of seconds without having to click anywhere. A bit sad to me if thats all. I think Pauls art is really great and IMO and it should have a real website, with a overview, where you can click stuff, get some information about artworks, breakdowns, menu, etc. and maybe also a bit of graphical design of the website.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Tweaked it again:
    http://www.vitamin3d.com/newdesing6.html
    If it looks messed up you need to reload the page.

Version from before:
    http://www.vitamin3d.com/designolder.jpg

Also added a simple menu to the content pages, so you will be able to click through all the artwork if you like. First 3 are working currently. Menu button is opening vitamin3d.com which is still the old website.
    Stamped the main images now and additionally there is the email adress click able on every page.

The Gargoyle video is not reuploaded without the sound yet, does anyone know if i could also set the sound off with the youtube embedd code?