Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Tileable wall question

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
I am currently working on a scene and im trying to build a tileable wall texture. Ive gone to the pixologic web site and watched thier video on tileing how ever thier tutorial requres you to have a square plane.

Currently my tile is more of a rectangle and i cant seem to get the model to tile in zbrush so i can clone stamp the edges and make it tileable. Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

ive watched this video here

how to create tileable textures in zbrush again they require you to use a square need away around this!

http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/homeroom/

heres some pics to help better illustrate:

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think the solution would be to crop the document so that it has the same ratio as the rectangle (make the width whatever you want the texture size to be). Draw the tool out into this document and frame it so that it fills it 100%. Then you can exit edit-mode and offset it.
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    so i cropped the width to 512 height is at what ever, i got the two edges lined up how ever it wont let me do anything to the mesh. also is there any way to auto crop the the size of an object?

The whole purpose of this is to send this mesh back into max and bake to a low poly so i dont have to worry about trying to fix the normals in photoshop.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    so i cropped the width to 512 height is at what ever, i got the two edges lined up how ever it wont let me do anything to the mesh
    Tiling the way you're doing (and in the tutorial), is only tiling the document, not the tools. Since you have to drop the tools onto the document, you're not able to go back and edit them the way you want. This method is more for tiling several tools to create a seamless document/pattern (good for bricks, chainmail, etc).

I thought that was your plan (export, load into photoshop, clone stamp the seam). If you actually want to sculpt a plane in a seamless way, set Wrap Mode to 1 in the brush options (under curves).
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Wrap_Mode_Tutorial
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    ok i understand now, ive also taken the time to cut the mesh in half in 3ds max then reimport it down the seam and re edit it from there. but the wrap method is much faster, you sculpt and learn though right! so much stuff in zbrush!
  • waedoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    waedoe polycounter lvl 8
    and heres teh result in max, 1 or 2 slight normal mapping errors, but easily fixable in PS

rendered with xoulils 1.5
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    transform, modifiers, turn XYZ off and turn Z on. (or Y if its a plane brought in from 3dsMax.)

Zbrush defaults to XYZ normals so even if wrap is on, you'll get inaccurate wrap (tile) results. Forcing to sculpt to the Z or, Y in the case stated above, will allow you to seamlessly transition between edges without problems.
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    got to brush<curve and set wrap mode to 1. this way when your brush runs off the plane it will show up on the other side. you'll probably have to use a Plane 3D to start with and then convert it to a Polymesh 3D. you'll have to re-do everything you've done probably