Home Technical Talk

Seams on modular rocks, halp?

So, made these rock thingies, figuring I would have a whack at some modular environment art.
2e4w5xu.jpg

Welded the feckers together:
2rrx954.jpg

Saw this, and cried a little:
eulour.jpg

As you see, the normal map detail does continue on the other side, but its like another, twilit, parralel tangent dimension.

By the way, the two last are without anything but a normal map. Everything is in the same smoothing group, the verts are welded.

It's probably something daft, but I would appreciate some help. Heh.

Oh and its shown in the max viewport with xoliluls marvellous shader, normal map baked in xNormal.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You shouldn't weld them together if you baked it separately. You won't be able to weld them together if you where to place them in an engine.

If you really need them welded together and don't want a to have a seam.
    You can place 3 tiles, weld them, then bake the center tile.
    However this will produce a seam in whatever engine because you can't weld the pieces together after they've been placed.

Also keep in mind that organic tiles don't always need to be cut perfectly vertical, you could have the seam follow a natural crack in the rock.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, does look exactly the same if its just the two by their sides, was desperate and tried welding, because I thought I was being a dumb noob. Which, I appearantly was, doubly so :P

EDIT: Aha, looks fine non-welded in xnormals viewer, nevermind.

Thanks vig :D

EDIT EDIT:

Damn it, looks the same as in max in unity, welded or unwelded. And I need the vertical seam. :/

Guess I'll just have to hide it then?
  • Trappe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a similar problem in gamebryo a while back, had to fiddle with the tri-stripping to line them all up facing the same direction.

Not sure if it helps but who knows :)

edit: like so

img14.gif
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HO HUM! Trying that out ASAP..

EDIT: Damn, to no avail..