Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP]Sci-fi Environment-UDK

ajr2764
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys. I've been working on this uni project, well actually a game is being developed..very short time to do so. I've been working on the environment and level design among some other things. Due to time constraints I could only make low poly models so I've been relying alot on photoshop to bring out details from heightmaps. All of the models that are required for our little game are modeled, optimized and unwrapped and Im mainly now focusing my attention to texturing with only 2-3 weeks left(I hope we make it).

Im going to be posting some pics for critiques and some guidance on some issues. Trying to push the assests to a porfolio quality because I do want to do environment art/level design. This is my first sci-fi environment I've really wanted to do one(so many good ones I see on the forums).

Images below are the central Hub modular 90 wall mesh and platform. I already textured the platform D,S & N maps. Im not sure if Im solid on the color scheme Im trying to get some opinions/ critiques on the pieces. The wall mesh I have just AO and blocked in some colors and rough details to fit with the style I created for the platform. Not sure want I want to do with the upper middle gray parts. I'll be posting some images later from UDK of the overall environment. Thanks.

WIP_09.jpg

WIP_10.jpg

Replies

• shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    Its a start.
    First thing that really jumped out at me though was the diamond plating for the floors. First its a little too large, and secondly its kind of overdone in the 'environment world'. I'd recommend re-thinking your floor texture abit. There's nothing wrong with simple flat metal plating with tiny details in it :D
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I kind of felt that it was still too big also, I did scale it way down to fit the metal plating. I'll look into a alternative design without the diamond plating. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    yo! are the platform from the tutorial how to paint realistic textures, someone posted it up a while ago in polycount. Cause they look almost the same or maybe not? Btw nice normal maps anyway:)
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not familar with that tutorial realistic textures but I might want to check that out, always interested in good texturing tuts.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the game is sort of like a platformer set in this sci-fi environment. Im trying to go with a abstract approach(if that is the right word to use). The environment is suppose to have been constructed mainly for the purpose of the gameplay. There is a brief story that attempts to give purpose for the character being here. There really isnt any lab work or normal facility stuff going on.

The player interacts with large metal block structures in the world that can be used with their special abilities. The blocks have certain symbols and colors associated with them. Im trying to use alot of white, brown & gray because I dont want the color scheme to clash with those blocks. I'll post some other pics of the overall environment later on.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In terms of it being a platformer, how is the camera set up? Is it a 3rd person camera ala Mario Galaxies, or is it locked to a plane / view ala Sonic the Hedgehog IV: Episode 1 ?
    If its a locked 2.5d camera set up, you could really push the details of the walls and play to the camera a whole lot.
    Making environments for platformers can be tricky... Especially when you get into the 'logistics' of 'why is this box floating here in the middle of nothingness??'. :D
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The camera is first person although we have our own 3rd person character for some simple cinematics. Alot of focus is on the character arms because he's wearing this special glove devices that give them their powers. Speaking of logistics thats funny because I know what you mean..its been a little challenge coming up with some of it. Anyways here some pics I took from various areas. Please note some of the odd colors are just temp textures I use for workflow, nothing to do with the final diffuse. As said before the blocks are color coded and have their own symbol, those light areas will actually glow when being used.

Any crits would be great, Im going to try to rework the platform diffuse a little.

WIP_11.jpg

WIP_18.jpg

WIP_16.jpg

WIP_21.jpg

WIP_19.jpg

WIP_20.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I reworked the design of the platform tiles and went with smaller details which I kindof like more then the original threadplate. I didnt re-do the spec/normal yet since I'd like to know what some others thought.

I started to add some wear and tear to the wall piece and I felt it was lacking some interest, in the indented panels it seemed to grayish. I want to know what you'll think of having those lighted areas behind the panels. Do you think I should lean toward that direction?

WIP_24.jpg

WIP_23.jpg
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its coming along.
    One thing with the texturing of your objects though. They're looking a little flat at the moment. I don't know how much further you're going to push them, but one thing I would consider looking at is how the environmental elements react with the objects. For example, have dirt build up in the crevices and corners of your objects. Micro surface scratches in your spec, to give visual break up / variation. Etc Etc.
    As for the lights behind the grates in the wall. Its an interesting concept, but in the images you've provided, its a little hard to see the difference between the lit areas and the unlit areas.
    Keep at it though, its coming along!!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the helpful feedback. When I get the time I'll revisit those assests already textured and apply what you suggested Shinobix. Looking back at them now it looks like I have a overall dirt overlay but not too much focused in areas where it might build up. I think I need to improve my spec maps in general I seem to have them very dark & not to that much of a tone variation. I'll probably post some of them later on.
  • shinobix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff dude. The other thing to keep in mind while doing spec is not just the spec map, but also the spec power map. You can really punch out your objects with a good spec power map :D
    I'm really looking forward to seeing what more you come up with ajr2764.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some more work on the diffuse for the hub walls/platforms. I've been trying to figure out what to do with that upper portion of the middle wall since I didnt want to do the same vents. I decided to go with text that displays what level the player is currently on since I had it in my mind it might be beneficial since the world will have many vertical levels. I think I need to seperate the overlapping uvs for the bottom half of the platform because the floor will be the ceiling and when you look up it looks a little weird that its the same texture as the ceiling. I didnt expect it to be so odd so Im wondering if I seperate the uvs for the bottom and put them in a second uv channel if I could apply two materials to the one mesh. I heard of multi-sub before but Im using Maya/Modo.

WIP_25.jpg

WIP_26.jpg
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I think that the biggest thing that is missing right now is character in your texture work as well as overall layout. When I looked at this originally, I immediately thought of the Hyperion from Starcraft 2. Pretty standard ship, but it has amazing lighting and some really lifelike textures. What will make your work stand out more here is just those elements. I think that you will see an amazing jump in your presentation once you have those squared away.

Don't be afraid to let the environment have some personality. All too often Sci Fi environments appear really bland and don't come across as that exciting. Look at reference from Starcraft 2 and Dead Space 2, which are two games that have really brought new life into Sci Fi, in my opinion. Keep up the great work, and I look forward to seeing this thread unfold!
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I know what your getting at with adding some character to the environment. Im not familar with the starcraft games but Dead Space thats a classic for me. Just checked out some demo trailers I havent seen before..and man its looking so bad ass.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so finally this quarter at school has ended, along with the stress. I plan on having this in my porfolio eventually, so Im going to continue where I left off. Im going to start working on spec/normal maps for the assests that are already done, I still need to revisit alot of assests and work on the material setup. Im looking for any useful feedback on textures, layout...anything that will help me go forward with the project. Thanks.

Shift_34.jpg

Shift_40.jpg

Shift_35.jpg

Shift_37.jpg
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a spec map and normal map for the rail platform. Im wondering how this looks to others as far as the highlights on the metal? One other question, is it a bad practice to have layer effects such as bevels & emboss in your diffuse map when you are going to use a normal map as well. All of the assests I've done so far I have layer effects which gives shadows & highlights baked in. Should you only use those effects in the diffuse if your not using a normal map?

WIP_27.jpg

WIP_28.jpg