Home Unreal Engine

Lightmass & Normal Maps

ajr2764
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
Ok, so Im wondering what do some of you guys do as far as settings to allow your normal maps to still have a decent effect when using lightmass. In general even without using lightmass are there any special settings for using normal maps besides changing the import to normal map.

It just always seems that my models look so much better in my modeling app while viewing in advanced open GL, really would like to bring over that same look. I perhaps also should look into doing some better material setups, right now I just plug my diffuse, spec & normal maps into their slots.

Replies

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's the one I used lately for the same 'problem' with normal maps loosing depth with lightmass & dominant directionnal lights:
    • IndirectNormalInfluenceBoost - Lerp factor that controls the influence of normal maps with directional lightmaps on indirect lighting. A value of 0 gives a physically correct distribution of light, which may result in little normal influence in areas only lit by indirect lighting, but less lightmap compression artifacts. A value of .8 results in 80% of the lighting being redistributed in the dominant incident lighting direction, which effectively increases the per-pixel normal's influence, but causes more severe lightmap compression artifacts.
    See on UDN, that setting is in world properties.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Lightmass.html#World%20Settings