Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Creating a 2048 x 1024 texture map?

I was doing some research and extracted the Team Fortress 2 character texture maps and discovered that they are all 2048 x 1024 (for the most part). I was blown away because I've generally only seen square texture maps. So now I want to see how this process works. I've laid about my UV's to take up the top half of the UV space, but have run into some issues that I hope you guys can help me out with.

How do you stop the tiling? I've messed with the Image Range options box but can't seem to get it right.

How do you get an accurate UV Snapshot? I bring the file into Photoshop but it always brings up a dialogue box mentioning the Pixel Aspect ratio. If I turn this off, my texture file then stretches. It's like it only wants to see a square file.

Thanks for the help.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Your photoshop only wants square maps?
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    you should lay out your uv's to take up the entire 1-1 uv square even if you are using non-square textures. When you load a non-square texture onto that object and look at it in the UV Editor you can then turn on Image > Use Image Ratio. Your texture and uv's will now display properly.
  • JnBaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SpeCter: What I mean is that Photoshop wants to correct the aspect ratio of the image. Here is an image of the file, once pixel aspect ratio correction is turned off. It stretches the image, and I have a large black field above the UV's. When the correction is on, the image is no longer stretched but is at 2048 x 2048 rather than 2048 x 1024.

mcprD.jpg

@Chronic: This is how I layed out the UV's.

b7wr8.jpg
  • chronic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic polycounter lvl 10
    squish them into the 1 to 1 quadrant, top right only - otherwise you will have to mess with the 2d placement node, and most game engines don't support your current layout anyways.
  • JnBaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks chronic, that worked out well. I'll lay everything out in the -1 to 1 range and then squeeze it into the 0 to 1 once I'm ready to take a snapshot. Once I turn off pixel aspect ratio correction in Photoshop, it gives me the 2048 x 1024 texture size I want to work with.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    chronic wrote: »
    you should lay out your uv's to take up the entire 1-1 uv square even if you are using non-square textures. When you load a non-square texture onto that object and look at it in the UV Editor you can then turn on Image > Use Image Ratio. Your texture and uv's will now display properly.

Thanks Chronic, I had the same problem and fixed it right away :thumbup: :)
  • sfhdweb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chronic wrote: »
    i agree with chronic