Home General Discussion

Yikes - Analysis: Is The Game Industry A Happy Place? By Leigh Alexander

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
PeterK greentooth
Interesting article. I would suggest you guys give it a look. What do you think though, are you happy with this biz?

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/29292/Analysis_Is_The_Game_Industry_A_Happy_Place.php

Replies

• Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Link or it didn't happen.
  • xvampire
  • trancerobot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    trancerobot polycounter lvl 7
    That's depressing. The comments even more so. Maybe I should do something else.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    You'd learn to find happiness.
  • Neoncypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neoncypher polycounter lvl 9
    very interesting article, and unfortunately very true. It's extremely hard work for relatively low pay in comparison to other industries. It really depends who you work for, some studios value employee happiness and others don't. It's not all doom and gloom though, there's plenty of good times too, and I have to disagree with the article regarding workmates in the industry; I work with some brilliant guys who are helpful and supportive, very strong team spirit and welcoming of new people... I'd say to anyone wanting to get into the industry- do your research, its not all rainbows and playing games....
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    lol. go indie.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Actually, I think indie development will drive you quite insane too, having read the minecraft creators blog and seeing how big part of his customers are assholes, and how stress affects him.

And then again, piracy, even though you've been told that as a non-corporate, drm-free developer, the pirates wont touch you, they still do.

Creativity comes hand in hand with insanity.
  • BunnyJen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BunnyJen polycounter lvl 6
    dejawolf wrote: »
    lol. go indie.

:D
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    Since i only started working in the industry just recently, i can't say i'm unhappy. On the contrary i'm quite the happy guy , but thats allways the case with shiny new things...
    Lets see how i feel in a year or two.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Two decades making games. I've seen a computer fly through a window, I've seen an ex employee trying to sledgehammer through from one companies adjoining wall to ours so he can get to his office and get his "stuff" back, I've seen one of my friends, a long time game vet kill himself on his birthday because nobody would listen to his brilliance . I've seen a barefoot art director tromp down the hallway like a baby to complain to his bosses when his concept art failed to look like the real-time model he expected when the limits of technology at the time wouldn't permit the level of detail he expected. I've had someone say he wanted to kill me and eat me, I've had anonymous threats when I attempted to suggest that we work together and share better ways to make the game better but.. because I was an "artist" my opinion was considered destructive to the game design hierarchy. I've had CEO's and coworkers claim my ideas without mentioning the source. I've had artist apply for a job with my artwork featured in their portfolios when I was the interviewer. I've been told that I had to work a 48 hour day, sleep on a company couch at work or "families will suffer when the company can't pay it's bills when the deliverable isn't met, Joel we're counting on you" I've been a part of countless layoffs, herded into a room with 300 brilliant talents and told that "**blank*** has F*'d us so we have to lay you all off effective immediately.... now" I've shown up to work and handed a glad trash bag and told that our 200K payroll had been stolen and that I’d have 15 minutes to collect my stuff before the company closes forever. I've seen an employee rob another when he was at lunch, deny it, and the discover he was being video taped.. I saw a a man lose his career, his wife and his company when he opened the door of his company to a guy who knew nothing about the game industry offering to help the company go public, but turned out to be a criminal connect to the mafia who ultimately fired every executive, robed the companies payroll and stole the workstations taking them to Florida where they were later found on bails of hay in a barn on his ranch. I've see racism, sexism and some of the most egotistical people in the world in the game industry and yet..... through it all I always remembered something Chuck Jones told me.. "Joel, the entertainment industry is 90% pain and suffering and 10% pleasure, Just make sure the pleasure shows in your work and you'll be fine." He was right.

Who the FUCK did that guy work for?!
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Damn. I've apparently been blessed with my jobs. Only been part of one layoff. Knock on wood and all that.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    Granted, I've only worked for one developer for two years and about to start work at another, but so far as an environment artist I've been very happy. Workplace culture has been very relaxed, a bunch of 20 something year old guys, all the people have been easygoing, and creating game art is stimulating artistically. We've played sports at lunch, had nerf gun fights, shot the shit throughout the day, and been able to do the whole thing in jeans or gym shorts. My bosses have been cool and understanding, I haven't been overworked, and been paid a fair wage. I honestly don't really have much to complain about.

Obviously it varies from company to company, and from project to project, and from boss to boss, but so far its been great. Being on the developer side is way different from being a tester of course. I never really gave a crap about user comments bashing a game on forums or comments, people like to bitch, and many times they had a point, but I'm not going to get stressed about something like gameplay that I have no control over. Obviously a good game is preferable, but as an artist, all I can control is the art, so thats the only thing I worry about in terms of satisfaction from working on a game.

Some days it is a grind, some days you are psyched to be working on a piece, but thats just the reality of having a job.

Honestly, really none of that article seemed to apply to me, all the criticisms are stuff that don't apply to me as an artist, and aren't really something I've observed from the developer side. Working in games is kickass if you work for the right company, which apparently I've had the good fortune to do. It seemed to focus on being a journalist and being a tester, which are probably the least desirable positions in the industry. I didn't get into the industry to play games all day, in fact I disliked having to playtest instead of working on art. It seemed like the author talked to a handful of depressed people and extrapolated that to the whole industry, when in fact my experience has been very positive.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    in my opinion, those abuse have evolved exponentially, because most artists allow it . Why ?

- they dont read contracts.
    - they are willing to relocate for jobs that will last 6 months or less .
    - most of the contracts artists sign , they dont even bother to read them, and then to find out that they waver overtime pay and include it on their monthly paycheck , wich means working 12 hours a day is considered a normal work day.
    - and all that shit is illegal , its a matter of people gaining matturity and not be the "yes sir ill do whatever you want but please dont take my job" pushovers.

This will only get worse with lots and lots of people fresh out of college willing to work for peanuts because its a "dreamjob" , and they will just accept it.

Basically its a matter of artists to read their contracts , define what terms are illegal according to country law and negotiate with their employers , if they dont accept it , well they werent that professional at all.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    For some reason some people call 3d artists as "3D Monkeys"... we are dispensable. If we can't do the job, there are too many artists that will do the same job for less money, ignoring that they are being exploited.

I really prefer to work doing models for animation than working for games. It's better paid and the work may be more relaxed.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Johny wrote: »
    - most of the contracts artists sign , they dont even bother to read them, and then to find out that they waver overtime pay and include it on their monthly paycheck , wich means working 12 hours a day is considered a normal work day.

As far as the US is concerned, you're exempt from overtime laws if you fall into one of these categories: Executive, Administrative, Professional, Computer, and Outside Sales Employees.

I'm happy though, I get satisfaction from my work and no stuffy dress code or "1 personal item at your workstation" kind of rules.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    loveeeee my job. sounds like they had an incredible string of bad luck :( though, to be fair, I've heard other 'horror stories' as well.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In all the studios I've worked at, both big and small, I've never had any complaints along any of these lines. These are stories I hear over and over, but I've never actually been a part of, or seen.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I read the article and thought it was ok but doesn't really give an accurate picture of what working in the games industry is like on a day-to-day basis.

I found this more interesting:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/28041/Study_Game_Developers_Increasingly_Newcomers_To_Business.php
    Only 13 percent of developers can claim more than a decade of experience, and only 4 percent have more than 15 years. A mere 1 percent have racked up more than a quarter-century of game development experience.

In this year's study, which is based on data for the calendar year 2009, the percentage of game industry employees 34 years of age or younger increased from 62 percent to 70 percent.

And the 25- to 30-year-old age group was already the biggest cross-section of the industry, but that was even more true this past year, as it grew from 33 percent to 37 percent of developers.

These age trends may contribute to developers reporting that they remain happy with the industry despite the industry's recent troubles: Many of those more experienced employees who have more bones to pick may not be sticking around to express their dissatisfaction.

The statistics show that regardless of whether people are happy or unhappy, most developers leave the game industry after five years. And the pace of them leaving is accelerating (maybe not, Bidendum pointed out the industry is growing, see below) which means less experienced people are filling the gaps. The more experience a developer has, the more likely they are to leave.

The anecdotal stories are interesting but may be dismissed as sour grapes. It's a bit tougher to dismiss the stats.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Ryan, That info actually freaks me out. I have no clue what I'd do if i didn't work in this industry. Got no education to back up on etc :)

I'm nearing the five year mark...

But i guess there's similar things you can work on. Commerical, Movie, etc
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The statistics show that regardless of whether people are happy or unhappy, most developers leave the game industry after five years. And the pace of them leaving is accelerating which means less experienced people are filling the gaps. The more experience a developer has, the more likely they are to leave.
    ...That is NOT what those statistics show.

That is a polling of people currently IN the industry taking note only of how many years experience they have. It does not try to discern the reason for the gap which could easily be attributed to how rapidly the industry and game development has grown as a whole in the last 5, 10, and 15 years. When you think of what the industry looked like in 1995 compared to what it is today it's not hard to imagine how such a huge statistical gap could occur.

The problem with statistics isn't statistics themselves but how people choose to interpret them. If your goal was to figure out if people were leaving the industry at an accelerated pace then you'd need to poll both people in the industry and people that left the industry, which that poll does not attempt to do.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    ...That is NOT what those statistics show.

You're right, growth of the industry could account for some or all of the demographic shift.

I did some searching and found the North America census numbers for game industry employees:

2007: 47,800
    2008: 53,900
    2009: 57,286

I'll take back my statement that the rate is accelerating. I do believe that a significant number of experienced developers leave the industry every year.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I can identify with a lot of the stuff that I read there. it's more common the days that I leave the office at 11pm, than 6pm. But I do it, because I want to.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    This, combined with a GDC talk I saw the other day makes me question if I really want to learn what it takes and get a job in the industry.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Never had any of these problems beyond working till like 12pm sometimes but I have always enjoyed it. Maybe its just the way Bungie organized there crunch scheduled but it wasn't bad at all.

I love working, hate not doing it. When I was play testing after the first week I was dying to go back to work. Much rather work 10hr days then play even really fun games for 8 hrs a day.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Blaizer wrote: »
    I really prefer to work doing models for animation than working for games. It's better paid and the work may be more relaxed.
    That depends on what country you work in. In Sweden it's pretty much the same thing. For artists that is.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Like was mentioned above somewhere, artists DO need to do some research and see what kind of company, what contract, etc, etc, before relocating. I've been lucky (knock on wood) that I'm able to work at a company where craziness like that hasn't happened. We do games, but also simulation software. I've also passed up opportunities to work at full on game studios and bigger titles because I know that I have stability here. I'm 30 years old now, and as much fun as it would be to work on some big titles, the situation would have to be very stable for me to jump into it, especially if major relocating was called for. A lot of people in this industry need to be very honest with themselves when it comes to accepting job offers and look at the big picture.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Goraaz wrote: »
    That depends on what country you work in. In Sweden it's pretty much the same thing. For artists that is.

Of course, In Spain the salary is not good enough and they usually contract young people with little experience.

The average salary is more than 1000 euro per month (we talk about "mil eurista"), and between relocations, taxes, and all the living costs, you can't save a shit. I know various friends that ended leaving the game industry, they were young and they didn't know what they were working in. A few of them ended studying again for other professions (and not one, but more).

You must have passion for this job.

Here you talk about creating a labor union for the industry workers (like the steel syndicate, that defends the rights of workers), and you can't expect something good from companies, they menace with firing people.

Many Spanish companies have used the crisis as excuse to fire people, when they were very healthy. Reducing costs to gain more benefits.

bah, why talk, all this thing piss me off.

Stability in the game industry DOES NOT exist. That's something we all know. Some people are like nomads, and you may be working in a good-solid company (apparently), and after 10 years of life, the studio closes and you'll see yourself needing to relocate to other country/city.

If a game does not sell well in crisis, end of business, Look Grin.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Wahlgren wrote: »
    Ryan, That info actually freaks me out. I have no clue what I'd do if i didn't work in this industry. Got no education to back up on etc :)

Taxi dude!
    - got your own car
    - no need to wash
    - play your weird music all day long
    - meet interesting people
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    If you guys think game development is bad you ain't seen nothing yet. I'm working in the vfx business, mainly dealing with TVCs and work's a bitch. Crazy schedules (mainly revolving around the clients), multiple revisions that make no sense (clients not knowing what they want) etc.

The pay's good, but after a month I could already feel the life getting sucked out of me. It's like crunch time, but instead of having it near deadlines or any important dates we deal with it almost everyday.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You left out the comically narcissistic leads and people who've been driven to varying degrees of insanity from spending far, far too much time working with only their screen for illumination. That's the one think I could never go back to - the sitting in pitch darkness all day every day. Plays merry hell with the physical and mental health after a while.

Never again.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    It's an interesting countermeasure, that the industry develops. We see more and more sh*t being spilled out about how things are, and it scares away the newcomers. And I think it's actually supposed to.
    The situation with a sea of unexperienced workforce willing to prove what they are worth, waiting out the door hurts the overall industry pretty bad. And as much as everything else I think this paper (maybe even subconsiously, unrecognized by the author) says to potential newcomers "don't go there, it's guys like you who are making it worse, don't you see?".

And I think that this makes as much sense as a compulsory overtime for a year long period. At first you really get some output increase but in longterm you're actually f*cked. I wonder how much more of this scare stories are we going to be hearing around.
    Freshmen, who are eager to be worked for sick hours is a sign of pretty crippled labour system. You cut the supply of slavelike workforce and the turnover rate drops down greatly. There's not much incentive to fire one guy for the next one and it ain't a leverage, to make you abuse yourself no more. You stop taking yourself as a slave you stop being treated like one. And stop f*cking up the industry. I'm not pointing fingers here and I don't want to blame anyone. And I don't want to be a hypocrit either, since I myself voluntarily worked 13 hours a day and then took my work home, when I was starting out. But that Is the problem - people are willing to get abused. And we are digging our own grave here, thinking that by abusing ourselves now, we earn respect. Don't forget that company earns money by you abusing yourself. And once you don't want to abuse yourself no more the company sees it as a loss of money...
    I think it would be an interesting experiment to legally forbid overtime for employes with less than a year of experience.

Other then for delivering this idea I didn't like the article much, since it's pretty empty and vague. If it was just for the sake of ranting I think the author would be more specific about particular episodes like the guy in the comments was. Articles are made to give you information, to aid you forming your opinion or making a decision. I don't believe in ranting for the sake of ranting. Gamasutra has blog section for this.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    don't worry, if the industry won't find people anymore who'll work at current conditions, then there's always countries like China, Vietnam, India.... actually for many of the people there the working conditions of the games industry beat the working conditions in many other industries.

I'm just sayin'....not that this is necessarily a good thing...
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    My opinion doesn't really count, but I would say it all depends on who you work for. I have worked another job that paid well (years ago) where I was a technical support guy for dsl internet connection. I probably could have moved up the ladder quickly there and did well statistically but the job stressed me out so much I can't even put it into words. Doing that for a full year would probably give me a nervous breakdown (phones always ringing, same stuff over and over again). Unless you have had this job, you just don't know. Then theres hard labor jobs like roofing where the pay is also good, but after a solid weeks work your back hurts so much you can't sleep at night. I would get shooting pain in my back that went down my legs, something fierce.

Point being, I think a lot of people forget what some of the more normal jobs are like and take for granted all the awesome parts of being in the games industry. If you have to work long hours but you love your work, whats the big deal really? Even if the money doesn't match the amount of skill it takes to do your job. Also, if you have a lot of talent and experience you should be able to simply move to another company if you are being mistreated. It seems like now a days companies only want to hire people they either know or have a ton of experience/skill.

All I'm saying is, there are plenty of terrible jobs out there, and working in the games industry is hardly one. There are horror stories, and if you find yourself in that situation, move to another company. If these companies that mistreat there employees loose them all, then they will get the message quickly.
  • Thor Sowards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work as a student aid for the accounting office at my school. Alot of filling paper work and mailing out letters. Its an extremely boring job. But I love the people I work with, there great, understanding and easy to get along with. I get paid a little more than minimum wage and prob spend more time trolling the internet then actually doing my work because if i just do my work I won't have anything to do for the rest of the day cause its simple as shit. But i think to myself at least once a week, God I would hate to do this for a living.

I myself am prob one of those young artists he talks about that would be willing to be hired to do more work for less money. But you know what? I got a job doing what I love to do. Granted I have no idea what the actual industry is like, just stories been told to me like the horror stories you hear around a campfire lol.

But as they say ignorance is bliss. I know I don't want to be doing what I'm doing now for a pay check.

Then again I could never find a job and just end up living in a cardboard box underneath the free way begging for change everyday. Thats always a nice thought lol
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What a big pile of whine... If you don't like your working conditions endeavor to make them better or just leave. The more people that wake up and walk away the better things get. Even better the more people who can ferret out the abusive places in interviews, the better.

Personally I'm tired of people who bitch but never do anything to change their situation. By all means feel out or co-workers to see how they like the conditions, band together to make them better. But don't uselessly bitch and moan for months without doing anything about it. Put you're crap in a box and walk out the door to a happier place.

Places like:
    - Cattle Knocker. BOOM HEAD SHOT!
    - Animal Shelter Euthanizer. The fun kicks in around your 200th kitten.
    - The army. It's like your favorite game, even the part about the new recruits being the first to get shot. Especially those who whine, friendly fire is just your new buddies way of saying STFU.
    - Construction. I hear the housing market is about to pick up again any day now in Vegas, putting on a roof in 120 degree weather, you're pasty pink skin will be golden brown on your first day! Or blister and fall off leaving your vital organs exposed...
    - Iron Smelting. When you retire, I hear instead of a pocket watch you get to see your eyebrows finally grow back!
    - Landscaping. Hey you're outside away from that pesky temperature controlled office!
    - Repo guy. It's always fun kicking people when they're down, if you can make a buck off of it... awesome...
    - Meat packing. That pesky safety gear slows you down but exposes your vital arteries to razor sharp blades, do you:
    A) ditch the gear to keep up with everyone else.
    B) Keep the gear on and get fired, but stay alive.
    C) Go back to your cushy office job riding a keyboard and mouse and shut your stupid mouth?

These are all industries that eagerly await your cynical attitude and look forward to chewing you up, and spitting you out all in the same week.

I'll close with "if you made art half as well as you bitch, we would all be rich"
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    lol, exactly...

Don't worry, be happy!
  • Kuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuki polycounter lvl 8
    Vig wrote: »
    - Meat packing. That pesky safety gear slows you down but exposes your vital arteries to razor sharp blades, do you:
    A) ditch the gear to keep up with everyone else.
    B) Keep the gear on and get fired, but stay alive.
    C) Go back to your cushy office job riding a keyboard and mouse and shut your stupid mouth?

Already experienced. Never again. Thank you anyway :D
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Easy words here, not all people can change of job so easily :), and there are too many people applying for a job or there aren't qualified professionals to fit the jobs.

I'm also fed up of whines, hardships and lamentations, noone moves a finger to change the situation (at least in my country). But as D1ver stated, people are willing to get abused. A businessman won't pay more than the habitual when the "level" is too low, with people working as slaves or teenagers playing as professionals.

The best personal exit is to get better, and find a better job, to be more competitive and more ambitious. As far as i know, in good companies (with good titles) you may work more happy but sometimes i hear things i dislike.

Anyways, in all jobs we have problems. And well, if you like 3d Art, expect to hear horror stories.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    the funny thing with a lot of other jobs like construction or hard manual labour jobs is if there was any whining like some of this, you would just be told to shut the fuck up and get to work.

I dont know if its our soft keyboard hands or how egos/sense of entitlement tend to explode in our industry but a lot of the time people make a big deal out of a small issue. We all have to work overtime, after your 1st year or so in the industry its not that amazingly fun, but everyone has that honeymoon period when they 1st get in where they will do anything to try to "leave their mark" in the industry or gaming history or something.

I'm still grateful I have a job where I can leave early if I need to, or show up late due to some appointment and no one says shit. Honestly I couldn't go back to a clock in clock out job where you get harped on for taking an extra 2 mins on your break or lunch or something. I would laugh in their face, their meaningless job with stupid rules that they really dont care about and are just power triping. so yea Im super grateful to be making things that bring other people enjoyment when they play them, but its not all sunshine and roses, just like any other job, its called work for a reason.

the way I look at it, for the 1st year or so in the games industry you are probably an idealist, after a couple years you are a realist.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the funny thing with a lot of other jobs like construction or hard manual labour jobs is if there was any whining like some of this, you would just be told to shut the fuck up and get to work.

lulz, this is just like people saying all we do is play video games but in reverse!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Easy words here, not all people can change of job so easily :), and there are too many people applying for a job or there aren't qualified professionals to fit the jobs.
    If the person can't leave, they should make their views known then keep quite until they can do something about it. No need to constantly run down moral for everyone else.

I can't stand a whiner who is whining just to whine and never does anything about it. They often focus solely on the negative and even if they where handed a check for a million dollars they would bitch that they had to cash it.

Of course there are legitimate complaints and issues that need to be addressed but there are a lot of spoiled Nancy boys that love to hear the sound of their own voice drone on and on.

Thankfully I don't work with any of those type of people currently. My current employer is really good about keeping us happy, not working us to death and keeping out those bitter souls who are doomed to lament.
    But I have in the past and the conversations normally went something like this:

"You don't want to work here, no one wants to work with you any more, so why are you still here?"
    "Because I need a job."
    "Then shut up and be thankful you have the one thing you need"
    "But I'm not happy"
    "You've made your views known, why do you insist on making everyone else around you, miserable?"
    "Pardon me. I'm going to go throw myself off the roof now"
    "I'll get you a ladder..."
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Lol vig, that guy got it pretty good. One of my coworker tried to voice out his opinion and the collective complaints of his department to the boss, lets just say things didn't go so well for him :(

Sometimes it's best to just suck it up and shut up, or atleast make your issues known in a calm and collective manner (even thought it's still a hit or miss)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    "if you made art half as well as you bitch, we would all be rich"

ha I want this as a tattoo
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    "if you made art half as well as you bitch, your boss would be even more rich"

fixed.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Anyone have any good tips for ways of finding out if the place your interviewing at is evil or not? I feel like if I push too hard, wondering if they work late often, that I'll just sound lazy.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    aesir wrote: »
    Anyone have any good tips for ways of finding out if the place your interviewing at is evil or not? I feel like if I push too hard, wondering if they work late often, that I'll just sound lazy.

not really, but if it's possible, try to get the HR dude to give you a quick office tour. If the office is a cramped messy hell, then the studio probably won't care much more about its employees either, if they don't even care about proper work places. Just look around, keep your eyes open...
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    Vig, I love you man but you should read your messages, you're coming across as the ultimate management ass-kisser right now :(

Artists screw artists over. You need to stick together, but what do you do? Underbid and undermine each other and set it up so you're doomed to work as lackeys. Especially freelancers, you lot really go against your own best interests. You need to get organized.
    I get ya and totally agree.

I think part of sticking together means not dragging down your fellow comrades with constant whining. By all means organize and work to make things better, but constantly complaining without doing anything about it is counter productive.

If it bothers someone to the point they feel the need to bring it up at least every day then they need to get off their can and do something about it. Even if all they can do is walk out. If they're not willing to do anything about it, then its never going to get any better and they should accept that their inaction will only yield a toxic environment for those around them.

If people want to make things better I'm all ears, if people just want to harp on what I already know then they can take a hike.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely agree with Vig...

People should work where they want.

If you don't want to work there, there are many other studios to choose from. Management will never positively respond to a passive aggressive- I hate working here but am staying anyhow- can't be pleased attitude... no matter how good you are.

In all honesty, if that's what an employee noticeably and consistently conveys, they'd be better off just leaving anyhow. Management will never be comfortable or willing to give you much of anything, inclusive to additional responsibilities, increased compensation, time of day, etc...

People need to remember, there's no such thing as a perfect job. In ALL jobs (in other industries too!), you have to take the good with the bad. If the good outweighs the bad, then you're golden. If it's the other way around, then you have a better idea of what to look out for when you send out your resume.

I think I've strayed from the topic of the thread! :P
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Entity - re what you were saying about the the vfx industry. I totally agree, the schedules are insane and the pressure gets you.
    I was actually missing the stress of working in games after a while.