Home Unreal Engine

Getting a glow effect

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
I was wondering how you achieved a glow effect like the one used in the tristram tunnels environment. http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73285
I'm trying to get that nice intense golden glow. Anyone know how?

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There's a few things you can do, but the quickest that comes to mind is adding a PostProcessVolume to your scene and Enable DOF. Plenty of settings here to tinker with, but it should add a glow around lights. You can also adjust the Scene_HighLights to make them more intense.

It may however be worth it to create custom light rays. You can find examples in DM-Deck. In fact, if you check out the Post Processing Volume from the halls of DM-Deck, they have some great settings for glowing light sources without all that DOF Blur.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Interesting! Thanks! I'll give that a shot!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looking at the Tristram tunnels pics it looks like nothing more then a plane with a bright emissive in the background and a yellow light in the doorway. Nothing to fancy or hard about it.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Autocon wrote: »
    Looking at the Tristram tunnels pics it looks like nothing more then a plane with a bright emissive in the background and a yellow light in the doorway. Nothing to fancy or hard about it.

This.

Just make sure it's bright enough, the rendering engine will then do the bloom automatically on it. You can tweak the bloom settings in the post process volume's settings (or world properties).