Home Technical Talk

How do I import a model and its skin into Mudbox so that I can get rid of seams?

John Baxter
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
I want to use Mudbox's feature of exporting the screen to Photoshop so that I can get rid of some seams on a character model, but I don't know how to get the model and its skin into mudbox. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how to do that? Thanks.

(I have the skinned model open in Cinema 4D, but don't know how to export it in a way that MB can open it with the skin)

nevermind, I just needed to export it as a different filetype

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad you figured it out!

A quick note about terms:
    Skin normally refers to the mesh that is bound to a skeleton. "Skinning" is the act of weighting the verts to the various bones. This comes from 3dsmax and Maya using modifiers called Skin to preform this operation. Basically stretching the mesh skin over the bones.

Sometimes game sites refer to textures (including this one way back in the day) and materials incorrectly as skins, when they are more like tattoos or body paint.
  • John Baxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Baxter polycounter lvl 7
    Oh, thanks for the correction. But I'm running into a new problem now. When I save the scene as a .mud or something else, the texture gets jpg-like artifacts all over it. Are these permanent or what?