Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP sci-fi container/crate, crits much appreciated

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Simmo polycounter lvl 12
This was posted in the WAYWO thread originally, and it was suggested that this could warrent a thread. I hope so :p

from that post:

"I think I've been over-estimating my skill and experience level and getting frustrated and not finishing things.. taking on things too ambitious and not even getting close to completing them.

Finally realised this and it feels great to be making things, and it's fun again :)

So my current asset is this crate using this concept art by Colin Geller:

vlXU8.jpg

Hipoly render"

After some really helpful comments that the rectangular bevels look boring I went in tonight and this is what I have come up with so far:

eLDop.jpg

I want to try and keep it simple, but I'm not the best eye for this kind of thing. I think maybe it's too busy? I want it to have a fairly utilitarian look but I don't want it to look boring. I'm not even thinking about baking until I get the hipoly satisfactory.

(If I'm 100% honest, seeing them side by side like this, I still like the concept/first verion better.. but I don't know how to jazz it up without changing it a lot :S )

I really want to give this my best shot and actually finish it, and to a fairly decent standard, hehe.

Shower me with criticism! :poly142:

Replies

• glenatron
    Offline / Send Message
    glenatron polycounter lvl 11
    I've gotta say, I personally prefer your version. The angled slats/ribs on the side look a lot sleeker.
    Either way, its a great base mesh if you plan to bake it to a low poly and texture. All the proportions seem spot on, and all the shapes and bevels are lovely and smooth.
    Any more detail would probably over complicate the look/feel when you start adding 2d elements like decals/damage, so I'd probably call it done.

Props!
  • dansher
    Offline / Send Message
    dansher polycounter lvl 8
    kinda looks like a coffin, looks cool though i like the style
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I think It's more than enough to have a decent bake, extract a nice NM and provide a useful AO.

Finish the thing, looking forward. :)
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! I decided to go with my version in the end.

Got some time to work on it, finally got the lowpoly done and unwrapped. I learned a lot about baking, careful usage of UVs and stuff to get different maps, some frustration but I finally think I have enough to start texturing :) Some small normal map issues but they can be edited in photoshop. I'll be adding finer detail to it later on anyway, and with the texture applied it should be ok.

XvNYR.png

beeqn.png
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    The NM bake came out really nicely tho, pretty clean as I see almost no artifacts, but you can always fix shit with the smudge.

Nice clean bake, good job.

Post some wires of the LP too! :)
  • Lonewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    that revision looks really nice

:thumbup:
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the comments guys

After getting distracted by starting my lowpoly time machine competiton entry, I decided to start on the textures..

I've only just begun, base textures and colours:

EInLm.png

I'm still playing around with the colours and larger details, although I have given the paint some wear (probably too much). I'm still new to the texturing thing, but I've been watching the 3D Motive sci-fi floor tutorial, it's bloody awesome and is a big help.

Nothing is final, I consider this a blockout even.. any crits or suggestions at all would be muchly appreciated :)
  • IchII3D
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Not bad, I'm struggling to get a sense of scale from it though, is this something no bigger than knee height? The bolts seem to be very varied in size
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah, that's what I've been thinking the size of it is. The concept is kind of cartoony, so I think that's why the bolts are that way.. Perhaps I should stick to the concept more in terms of texture style as well.
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Ok after some days distractions I finally had some more time to work on the texture today. I'll let the pictures do the talking :p Rendered in UDK:

udkr1.png

udkr2.png

udkr3.png

udkr4.png

And here's the wires, rendered in Max:

LhgNB.png

I think I'm close to calling it done.. The text and logo may change, just a little tribute/ripoff. hehe :poly142:

I'm really looking for some feedback and crits before I start winding it up. One thing I've spotted after looking at it here is maybe the paint looks a bit noisy at the moment.

thanks for looking! thoughts? :)

EDIT: Re-uploaded pics, imgur compressed the originals
  • Mio
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    Simmo

that's a very nice .... whatever it is... it's looking goooood :)