Home Unreal Engine

How To? Chrome Cylinder Shader in UDK

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hello!
I'm working on some modular environment pieces for a level in the UDK, but I'm having a problem.
I want to create some chromed/shiny metal cylinders. However, I really can't figure out how to do it.
I guess it has something to do with camera position and a reflection vector? Maybe I'm completely off.. But I really, really could use some help here!

Here's a reference picture if I failed to explain what I'm looking for. :)

523862.jpg

I'm very grateful for any help I can get!

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    There was a pool visualization render around here that had some awesome chrome material. lemme see if i can find it

EDIT:

jucrgp.jpg

and the thread link :)http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70509&highlight=pool

YAY to having nothing to do while my computer transfers Steam library.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, is that really it? :O
    Seems to easy to be true. Haha
    Gotta see if this works as soon as I come home. :)

Thank you!
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that material will be a chrome material or a mirror. the picture you posted is brushed metal.
    depending on the object you want the material to be on i would look into using mlm_anisotropic and the anisotropicDirection slot. for the metal itself you could try lerping between a dark constant1 and a bright constant1 with a fresnel as the alpha and then having the result as alpha lerping between your base metal texture and a blurred cube map. havent found a way to use a lower mip-level from a scene capture actor inside unreal without getting awful seams.

capture the scene inside udk, create a new static texture from the cubemap and printscreen that from the texture viewer to use in the ati cubemapgen. should give you something closer to your example.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi wrote: »
    that material will be a chrome material or a mirror. the picture you posted is brushed metal.
    depending on the object you want the material to be on i would look into using mlm_anisotropic and the anisotropicDirection slot. for the metal itself you could try lerping between a dark constant1 and a bright constant1 with a fresnel as the alpha and then having the result as alpha lerping between your base metal texture and a blurred cube map. havent found a way to use a lower mip-level from a scene capture actor inside unreal without getting awful seams.

capture the scene inside udk, create a new static texture from the cubemap and printscreen that from the texture viewer to use in the ati cubemapgen. should give you something closer to your example.

That sounds like a great idea. I'll try that as well! Cheers! :)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    you could also use a frensel on the cubemap to give it that black falloff. Josh Javaheri from Dungeon Defense made a pretty great chrome tutorial a while back.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Zh3qDyXOY[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5PONVHCgg&feature=related[/ame]
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    yeah do all that etc and make it anisotropic.